Looking for a car I can feel when driving.

Soldato
I think for me being used to a small engine petrol car the Honda will at least feel like it’s got more go, I’m not after like a extreme pinning you back so you can’t move feeling, just that when you put the accelerator to the floor you can feel it jolt you backwards

Just hit redline every time in your car, that'll get you some push back.

I really can't recommend a diesel for performance, it's just.. meh, unless you have a newer automatic diesel.

Man of Honour
I can't believe nobody has said it but... Does anybody find that you kind of just get used to the power anyway so your body sort of compensates for that feeling of speed you might get in the passenger seat? I find that whatever car I actually drive it ends up not feeling that fast even if it's fast so say around 300bhp+. You just get used to the acceleration, only you look down and are doing 140mph :)

Soldato
Yep, cars don't feel as fast after a few weeks of driving them. Unless someone else drives it then weirdly you do feel it again.

Soldato
The 1st time I experienced that feeling of OMG what is that.. Was in an old Nissan Cherry Turbo. First experience of torque.. 4 up in a 1.3 turbo......

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
If you want the feeling of acceleration, don't buy a diesel. Unless you like to have a tiny power band. They run out of puff very quickly and not very performance focused :/

A high revving petrol car with a tune that gives you a nice power curve all through the rev range is much better if you want to feel it.

I have to travel a good few miles to work though for most the week so although I’d like a good performance car I have to consider the costs also. I have test drove the Honda just and I am quite impressed, yes it isn’t as quick off the mark as a petrol and you can definately tell it’s a different beast to drive but I did enjoy the car, it is a bit bumpy over potholes and that but my old car was anyway so I can only see improvements with the Honda and. I must say props to Honda for the practicality, I was surprised at just how much room is in the back.

I think I’m going to go with the Honda 2.2, but I’m going to test drive a Volvo C30 on Saturday!

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
Thinking of it, if I did get a petrol, couldn’t I just convert it into LPG? That would save me on the MPG side of things

Soldato
Get a Saab 9-3 Aero and get it mapped by Noobtune (on the Saab forums) for around £80. I had one, great fun and takes the bhp to around 250. Probably a little bit more than £2500 though but worth it imho.

Soldato
Is it a fun drive? Read around some people say it’s a bit dull

Appreciate the replies all :)

Lol I bought it for economy not a fun drive, that's what my 130i is for ;)

Like someone said it understeers but has enough torque for most situations.

Fast and fun are two different things, some cars can be one of those, some can be both. Diesel is usually not fun from a driver involvement point of view.

BPR

BPR

Associate
OP
A quick auto trader search

Saab 9-3 1.9 TTiD Aero 4dr
SEAT Ibiza 1.9 TDI Cupra 3dr
BMW 1 Series 2.0 123d SE 3dr
BMW 1 Series 2.0 120d Sport 5dr
BMW 3 Series 2.0 320d SE Edition 4dr
BMW 3 Series 2.0 320d M Sport Edition 4dr

I like the look of the 320d M