Gloomhaven

Associate
OP
We just unlocked a new hero my last game, havent tried new class out yet, looking forward to trying it.

sunseeker i think shes called, looks like a healer tank!.

Soldato
We played a 4 player game for the first time last weekend. The game absolutely owned us in the first room of the first scenario. We eventually lowered the difficulty a lot and fluked our way through and then it got a bit easier

Surprisingly, 3 player attempts we did a bit later were soooooo much easier.

On the 4 player, the aggro from the monsters wa difficult to control and they just splatted our brute or one of our other players if we tried to split aggro.

Any tips?

Soldato
Got this last week and we managed to get the first scenario completed. Well I did.

The wife and I are playing it and it took 3 tries to get the first scenario done. She is the Cragheart and I am playing Spellweaver.

The first time we played (having read the rules but like many, miss read or missed certain rules) and we played the monsters moving and attacking every turn. Didn't realise about losing cards to stop damage. Me (spellweaver) using her collect Lost cards ability more than once. drawing a monster card for each monster instead of one card per type of monster, plus a few other rules/mechanics missed or played wrong.

We died in the second room.

Second try, we got into the third room but the wife became exhausted and was removed, I didnt have enough to carry on after the next turn so we lost that one.

Third try I did solo with both characters as wife was busy. Before I played it I read the rule book fully, looked on Reddit, BGG, printed off guides, common rules mistakes etc etc. I obviously knew the cards from my wifes Cragheart so I played advantage with the initiative as you sort of have too playing solo. I managed to clear first room at turn 2. Room 2 on turn 5 and 3 turns in the last room iirc. i played very conservatively in the first two rooms not playing lost cards (think i played one) and it worked out really well. All this is on normal difficulty 1.

Also I didnt realise you keep XP, gold and etc after each attempt. So I added all that together from the previous attempts on the Characters sheet.

So far it's a good game, fairly good learning curve and has a good theme. We are going to play that scenario again with the wife before heading to the next one so she will understand how to play it better like I did on my solo run. I think we can get it finished in just over and hour then we can get the second one set up. Can't wait.

Associate
OP
Hmmm, it's not a complicated game, i think after the first game she will have a good understanding of the rules and mechanics and by her 3rd she will be a whizz.

Associate
My friend did the kickstarter for this and its a massive box.

He initially did the physical copy with 2 other mates but it is available as a Steam Workshop item for Tabletop Simulator, officially endorsed by the creator apparently. So the past few months we've been doing scenarios online and its a really good game, some close calls with luck that going our way to end scenarios.

Me (spellweaver) using her collect Lost cards ability more than once.

Not sure if you are still doing it but that card is a 1 time use per scenario so once its used its burned until you complete or fail that scenario.

Soldato
My friend did the kickstarter for this and its a massive box.

He initially did the physical copy with 2 other mates but it is available as a Steam Workshop item for Tabletop Simulator, officially endorsed by the creator apparently. So the past few months we've been doing scenarios online and its a really good game, some close calls with luck that going our way to end scenarios.

Not sure if you are still doing it but that card is a 1 time use per scenario so once its used its burned until you complete or fail that scenario.

No I only did the one scenario after reading closely I stopped. Made the game a little more challenging for the first few games. I think I have all the rules sorted now..

Associate
OP
We unlocked a new class yesterday, i won't say what it is but it was the squiddley diddley icon.

And thus, sir squiddley of the land diddley was born.

We have yet to play the new class but he looks epic and definatley top tier. Also his questline to unlock him was very fun.

Our current party is: (without spoilers)

Sun icon (my hero)
The box with 2 miniatures.
Mind thief
And now squiddley diddley

Soldato
Is there any truth in the 05/01 being the release of the new edition?

Got £250 of Amazon vouchers so would rather wait until it's released and a reasonable price on there than pay £130 or whatever from my pocket.

Soldato
January or February for Wave 3. It should only cost £115 from Boardgameguru though, Amazon is not likely to be so reasonable. If you're determined to spend the vouchers there's one on for £179 right now.

Soldato
January or February for Wave 3. It should only cost £115 from Boardgameguru though, Amazon is not likely to be so reasonable. If you're determined to spend the vouchers there's one on for £179 right now.
Seems crazy to have such a limited supply when there is obviously demand, the market is becoming flooded with similar games as well including the promising one on Kickstarter.

Soldato
Seems crazy to have such a limited supply when there is obviously demand, the market is becoming flooded with similar games as well including the promising one on Kickstarter.

Is Grail or whatever it's called? It does seem so strange they are responding so slowly to the demand, you can almost guarantee the next wave will shift stupidly fast and the same issues will be repeated. Not seen a company so determined to not make money :p

Soldato

I saw that. I think it's a "scam" pretending to be available now but hoping for the new edition to make the order as the delivery date is 21/01-04/02

Back
Top Bottom