PS4 or PS4 Pro?

Soldato
If you can get a decent deal then I'd still go Pro to be honest. New consoles are some way off and even at 1080p you will either get better framerate or better graphics with supersampling.

Otherwise go the cheap option and get a second hand PS4 :)

Soldato
I have the pro and used it on a 1080p tv but got the feeling I may be missing something so bought a 4k tv to go with it, tbh res is not a big deal but hdr made things a bit more pretty

Soldato
The pro is worth the extra money IMO just to future proof it as you're bound to have a 4k TV sometime in future. It also improves PSVR to a large degree of you ever buy that ( which you should IMO!).

Associate
Get the Pro model also there is apparently a newer revision of the pro available if you buy the Red Dead 2 bundle pack.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-playstation-4-pro-cuh-7200-review

Just picked a pro up from Tesco, of all places. Well, the wife did :D Prices seem flat across the board, so the points for the wife's Club Card account were a bonus. I only have 1080 TV, but may possibly upgrade in the future. It is also one of the newer models and was rather quiet. However, installing RDR2, a huge game, caused a little noise via the BD reader.

As a past PC gamer, jaded with the idea I'd have to upgrade my mobo, CPU and memory, it's perfect. Sitting on the new couch in my AV room, connected to a surround-sound setup and being comfortable was cool as well. I'll need to get used to the controller, though!

Now I can play Bloodbourne, Spiderman and Horizon Zero Dawn as well!

Soldato
Just picked a pro up from Tesco, of all places. Well, the wife did :D Prices seem flat across the board, so the points for the wife's Club Card account were a bonus. I only have 1080 TV, but may possibly upgrade in the future. It is also one of the newer models and was rather quiet. However, installing RDR2, a huge game, caused a little noise via the BD reader.

As a past PC gamer, jaded with the idea I'd have to upgrade my mobo, CPU and memory, it's perfect. Sitting on the new couch in my AV room, connected to a surround-sound setup and being comfortable was cool as well. I'll need to get used to the controller, though!

Now I can play Bloodbourne, Spiderman and Horizon Zero Dawn as well!

This gen pulled me away from PC gaming. Too many exclusives missed out on. Prefer to chill with a controller these days with no mucking around.

Don
I picked up a really cheap PS4 for the kids on a 32" standard HDTV, for the 1080p games they and I play on my Pro I don't see much difference to be honest and with the potential PS5 around the corner I couldn't justify spending on a Pro now.

Soldato
This gen pulled me away from PC gaming. Too many exclusives missed out on. Prefer to chill with a controller these days with no mucking around.

Likewise. PC gaming is crazy money these days by the time you buy a monitor, GPU, CPU, memory, etc. My current pc will probably be the last one I buy for gaming unless things change.

Now you can get a 55-65" 4k TV and a 4k capable console for under a grand there's no point in going down the pc route anymore IMO.

Soldato
I picked up a really cheap PS4 for the kids on a 32" standard HDTV, for the 1080p games they and I play on my Pro I don't see much difference to be honest and with the potential PS5 around the corner I couldn't justify spending on a Pro now.

Not sure I'd describe it as around the corner we're at least 12 months away from everything I've read, more likely into 2020. Unless it's unlike previous console launches then you'll be looking at 6-12 months before there are more than a handful of must-have titles. Factor in that it's likely to be expensive and may or may not be backwards compatible and the PS4 Pro is still a very sensible choice.

Back
Top Bottom