What would you do? - Council dug up grass alongside house

Associate
Hey guys

Just wanting an opinion on this.

The council/highways are replacing some pavements directly outside of my house with tarmac.
I noticed them start a 'roadworks' 'flags to flex' job across the road from me, so researched online and noticed a second job directly down the side of my house.

I called asking about the job, as I have a nice strip of grass down the side of my house and I didn't want them to remove it. This strip of land is unregistered, and doesn't belong to the council, as I'd already contacted them/land registry and had searches performed - as I was/am intending on claiming this strip of land. I was told by the project/site manager they were going to take 2-3 inches from the grass to place a retaining edge for the tarmac path. My partner got home and sent me a picture attached below, they've taken a fairly large section of the grass, and laid concrete/cement right up to my wall.

I've been in touch with the council, and they're going to send out an inspector on Monday, I also called the guy back who said "2-3 inches".

Am I right to be a little annoyed?
- They've lied to me on the phone.
- They didn't speak to me at all, except for when I called them. No letter etc.
- The land doesn't actually belong to them.
- The village is in a conservation area, so may have needed additional permission.
- It's going to look a bit daft and spoil the appearance of the property.

I know a percentage of you chaps will just say get over it, but I just wanted some opinions, and if anyone can give any advice it'll be appreciated.

Would you be annoyed?
Has anyone been in this situation before? What could I go back to them with?

6uHtqfj.jpg

Thanks
Ox

Soldato
You wouldn't have been able to claim it anyway unless it was enclosed.

Most roads/footpaths that are adopted (and thus maintained) by councils are actually unregistered.

Associate
If it's unregistered, it likely is owned by the council or Highways England. Adverse possession isn't as simple as just "claiming" the land, although it being unregistered is a bonus. For that piece of ground, I simply wouldn't bother with it...

Caporegime
Am I right to be a little annoyed?

No, because it's not your land so you have no say.

- They've lied to me on the phone.

What rights do you think you have in this situation? The guarantee that someone you speak to to complain about land that isn't even yours is 100% correct in everything they say?

You're lucky someone was even prepared to discuss it with you. I'd have ended the conversation as soon as I discovered that you didn't own the land, on the basis that it's none of your business.

This just smacks of a false sense of entitlement. You were going to try to steal this land and are annoyed that you can no longer do so.

Associate
OP
This just smacks of a false sense of entitlement. You were going to try to steal this land and are annoyed that you can no longer do so.

The fact that I was considering going for adverse possession isn't the main reason I was wound up. Forget I even mentioned acquiring the strip of land.

What wound me up was the fact they were going to take a few inches for a retaining wall, and they've taken out that area; but you're right, if I don't own it, I don't have a say.
Now that I've slept on it I'm not as aggravated. It's been a #### couple of weeks and I just came to vent.

Soldato
Local authorities can't afford to maintain grass so they are, in many instances where they can removing it and replacing it with something that doesn't need regular seasonal maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom