• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
Looking for some help

So bought a Ryzen 2600, Hyper X predator 2 x 4GB 3200 C16 (think it's Hynix A die) and a Gigabyte B450 DS3H M board. Now according to the memory list from Kingston this is compatible with Ryzen at it's rated 3200 speed. According to gigabyte the board can do 3200mhz memory. However if I set the XMP profile leave everything else on auto I can post most of the time but instantly get crashes on boot in windows. Set to the lower 3000mhz profile can get in to windows but not stable. Set to jedec 2400mhz and it works fully stable.

Now I don't want to particularly go through the pain of sending the memory back as not working correctly because it does at 2400mhz and I realise it's not a great motherboard but it should be enough and has most of the overclocking options.

What settings do I need to set to try and get this stable. Running the latest F2 bios.

Completely new to Ryzen so bit of a learning curve to say the least. At the moment everything is on auto with XMP.

Are you sure they're in the correct RAM slots (check the manual). The same thing happened to me and it turned out I'd populate the wrong two slots first.

Soldato
If you look at it from the CPU to the right I have it in slot 2 and slot 4. I believe these are correct?

From the manual it says "For optimum performance, when enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1 and DDR4_2 sockets"

DDR4_1 is closest to the 24-pin ATX power connector, and DDR4_2 is the third slot in from that. So you'll have one installed, then a gap of one, and the slot closest to the CPU socket will be empty.

Soldato

Well it should allow the full range of frequencies with that voltage. Are you able to run 2933MHz? Also what are the timings the modules you have, can you link the specification sheet or other data about the RAM, is it dual ranked?

I've not personally used that B450 board, so am unsure how good it as at RAM overclocking (past 2933Mhz is OC), but I can see there doesn't appear to be any cooling on the SoC VRM, as I would have suggested that you adjust the SoC voltage slightly to see if that helps.

Associate
I started to get a post out of the board by setting procodt to 48ohm/53ohm rather than 60. default SOC volt seems to be 0.8. Got caught out by increasing dynamic volt to add 0.175 and setting an XMP profile shot the SOC up to 1.25v luckily was at that for approx. 1 min before I noticed. Now when I set the xmp profile and leave everything on auto it raises the SOC voltage to near 1.1v. Which is interesting and it posts even on auto. I suspect it's picking up my manual procodt setting even though it's set to auto because if I set all settings to the XMP profile and set procodt to 60 it won't post again.

CPU is a Ryzen 2600

So getting further it now posts!

What is a safe procodt voltage - I suspect my cpu just doesn't like 3200mhz at low soc voltage.

Memory is HX432C16PB3K2/8

XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18 @1.35V

Got the impression that Ryzen 2XXX series were better at overclocking memory hence buying the 3200mhz and according to Kingston it's compatible.

Soldato
I started to get a post out of the board by setting procodt to 48ohm/53ohm rather than 60. default SOC volt seems to be 0.8. Got caught out by increasing dynamic volt to add 0.175 and setting an XMP profile shot the SOC up to 1.25v luckily was at that for approx. 1 min before I noticed. Now when I set the xmp profile and leave everything on auto it raises the SOC voltage to near 1.1v. Which is interesting and it posts even on auto. I suspect it's picking up my manual procodt setting even though it's set to auto because if I set all settings to the XMP profile and set procodt to 60 it won't post again.

CPU is a Ryzen 2600

So getting further it now posts!

What is a safe procodt voltage - I suspect my cpu just doesn't like 3200mhz at low soc voltage.

Memory is HX432C16PB3K2/8

XMP Profile #1: DDR4-3200 CL16-18-18 @1.35V

Got the impression that Ryzen 2XXX series were better at overclocking memory hence buying the 3200mhz and according to Kingston it's compatible.

If you are using Dram Calculator 1.4 ? Use the suggested SOC voltage, which is 0.97875v and set it manually. Very very small SOC voltage alterations make a huge difference in stability with Ryzen. With your ram i would go back to Procodt at 60ohms when you set SOC to 0.7875v.
If that does not work, then try the next box on Dram Calculator and set Ram voltage to 1.365v and SOC to 1.03125v.
I'm assuming you have tried to import your actual ram settings via Thaiphoon Burner rather than just using V1 and V2 in Dram Calculator ?

Associate
didn't know you could import them from Thaiphoon. question re ryzen calc - when you switch to alt 1 for the voltages do you need to switch to alt one for the cad bus stuff as well? What settings are important to set? I.e do you need to set the advanced stuff as well?

Soldato
didn't know you could import them from Thaiphoon. question re ryzen calc - when you switch to alt 1 for the voltages do you need to switch to alt one for the cad bus stuff as well? What settings are important to set? I.e do you need to set the advanced stuff as well?

If you have a good read of this: https://www.overclock.net/forum/27694284-post3363.html

The second "spoiler" down shows you how to use Thaiphoon Burner to extract the information you need to be able to export it and then import it into Dram Calculator. The result will be much more accurate than using V1 or V2 and will be very specific to your actual ram and not just generic results from your ram.

Soldato

Cad bus settings are vital, even one of them being wrong is the difference between stable and not.

I said on another thread ages ago about writing a thread on how to clock ram on Ryzen. No one responded and yet we still keep seeing peeps not able to clock ram.

It's not your fault Aurhinius...................it's just that clocking ram is more time involved than 99% of peeps think it is. After all the years of XMP, that's what most of the so called overclockers on her actually do. In other words, they have no idea at all how to overclock ram, so when XMP dosn't work they are floating in the dark.

Soldato
Keep your eyes open if you are looking for a new CPU mid-range any time soon, £119* for an R5 1600 should be seeing this week coming or the week after. ;)

*Not sure if OCUK will be doing this deal.

Soldato
Keep your eyes open if you are looking for a new CPU mid-range any time soon, £119* for an R5 1600 should be seeing this week coming or the week after. ;)

I don't even get how so much stock is left. They must have continued to make them in volume even after 2xxx launch.

Associate
well I think we should have thread because clearly Ryzen is much more picky about ram than intel. When you buy something that is rated for 3200mhz though you kind of expect it to work out of the box. I can handle CPU overclocking but memory is new to me and I am certainly finding it taking more time than I had hoped. Going to stick with it though because I want to use what I paid for. I'll try and do an import from Thaiphoon and see how I get on. Closest I have got so far though was with procodt at 48 or 53 just didn't want to post at 60 but that was with generic profile V2.

Associate
Cad bus settings are vital, even one of them being wrong is the difference between stable and not.

I said on another thread ages ago about writing a thread on how to clock ram on Ryzen. No one responded and yet we still keep seeing peeps not able to clock ram.

It's not your fault Aurhinius...................it's just that clocking ram is more time involved than 99% of peeps think it is. After all the years of XMP, that's what most of the so called overclockers on her actually do. In other words, they have no idea at all how to overclock ram, so when XMP dosn't work they are floating in the dark.

It's a good thread I had already found it after you mentioned the import. I'll work through it and keep this updated on how I get on.

Associate
Well I have tried everything and I just can't get the system stable at 3200mhz.

I have noticed that if I set 3200mhz the motherboard automatically applies voltage to the SOC. Default is 0.8v but as soon as I apply the speed of 3200mhz to memory the board applies an soc voltage of 1.05 or there about which is a bit odd.

Best result I can gain is by copying all the ryzen calc settings and setting the procodt to 48ohms with the cad drv strengths at 20 ohms.

This will get me in to windows but will crash about 2 mins later.

Shame. Kind of get the same result by just setting the chips XMP as well.

Beginning to think it's the whole combination causing issues board, memory and CPU.

So fussy! Resigned to the fact I probably can't get it running at 3200mhz.

Well checked the QVL for the motherboard and the 16GB kit has passed the QVL for my motherboard so I find it hard to believe that the 8GB kit would have issues.

So ram is QVL'ed by ram company for CPU, motherboard has QVL'ed memory for motherboard.

Only thing that bothers me is the CPU. Maybe that memory controller is so bad it can't even manage an overclock to 3200mhz?

I bought all the stuff of here so might engage with support to see if they can assist.

Last edited:
Soldato

Quoting myself here just for clarity, Gibbo says OCUK ran out of R5 1600's, but just to confirm what I was saying is correct, that big German store who do the monthly sales breakdown are selling the R5 1600 for <£105 (€119). Keep your eyes peeled if you are looking for a bargain. :)

Back
Top Bottom