Corsair RM750 vs RM650x

Associate
Hi Guys.

Real simple one - Which is best out of RM750 vs RM650x?

Only info I found online was quite a few people saying to "avoid the RM750 as it's a "Tier 3" psu... Whatever that means... They are both Gold rated??

-(I already own both, not looking for another)
-PSU calculator recommends 590w (I overcompensated for everything, including some crazy OC's), so not fussed about extra 100w (unless I should be?).
-I intend to OC

I've been told a good psu can be important for stable power for OC... Is this true?

Thanks

Soldato
RM650x is the better unit. Though personally take tier lists with a grain of salt. Would read reviews on a individual unit instead to formulate an opinion.

If its the build in your Sig, so 4770k + GTX1080, you will get nowhere near 590 watts those calculators gave you. Even overclocked to the max with those parts and both bits under a heavy load you will barely breach 450 watts. Under a more typical load such as gaming where both bits are rarely maxed, I expect you will be closer to 350 watts, so a nice spot on the efficiency curve. Gamers Nexus actually has some tests on this also: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

It is true you want a quality power supply period, more so for overclocking, but suffice to say your RMx unit is fine even when overclocked.

Associate
OP
RM650x is the better unit. Though personally take tier lists with a grain of salt. Would read reviews on a individual unit instead to formulate an opinion.

If its the build in your Sig, so 4770k + GTX1080, you will get nowhere near 590 watts those calculators gave you. Even overclocked to the max with those parts and both bits under a heavy load you will barely breach 450 watts. Under a more typical load such as gaming where both bits are rarely maxed, I expect you will be closer to 350 watts, so a nice spot on the efficiency curve. Gamers Nexus actually has some tests on this also: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3036-how-far-can-450w-get-you-for-a-gaming-pc-wattage

It is true you want a quality power supply period, more so for overclocking, but suffice to say your RMx unit is fine even when overclocked.

Awesome reply, thanks.

I can sell the rm750 on eBay, trouble is the guy didn't give me any of the cables that came with it, so will probs have to sell for less. Still... I want the best PSU, and it seems from your comments the rm650x will give me more confidence in Overclocking.

Wonder if my molex connectors will fit in the rm750 I will sell.... I never use them. :D

Associate
OP

I'm not sure if i'm reading those graphs right from gamers nexus.... but like 50w in idle? That's crazy low... not even a lightbulb... fone that hard to digest. I'm probs rteading wrong.

Soldato
I'm not sure if i'm reading those graphs right from gamers nexus.... but like 50w in idle? That's crazy low... not even a lightbulb... fone that hard to digest. I'm probs rteading wrong.

Not really. That is about right. Modern PC's in idle with modern parts will boost right down. Here for example is Guru 3D's system idles at around 60 watts as per top paragraph: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-review,5.html that is with a 9900k, 2080Ti, MOBO, SSD, memory etc. 9900k will only consume around 10-20 watts idle, likewise for the GPU with remaining system eating another 10-20 watts. 50-60 watts for most typical builds.

Associate
OP
Not really. That is about right. Modern PC's in idle with modern parts will boost right down. Here for example is Guru 3D's system idles at around 60 watts as per top paragraph: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-9900k-processor-review,5.html that is with a 9900k, 2080Ti, MOBO, SSD, memory etc. 9900k will only consume around 10-20 watts idle, likewise for the GPU with remaining system eating another 10-20 watts. 50-60 watts for most typical builds.

Wow that's amazing... I never had ANY idea how power efficient Pcs had become. literally... Wow.

Back
Top Bottom