Seasonic Focus Plus Gold Fan Noise

Soldato
All the info is on the Seasonic site. I should have looked there first, sorry.

Always good to ask even though you didn't get a reply :p I would let it run with the fan on and see what the noise is like. Some units can ramp the fan up in hybrid mode but it just depends on the fan profile and fan. At least in fanned mode it should be less aggressive.

Associate
OP
I've just heard the fan noise of a unit in NORMAL mode and it's not appealing, that would really bother me. I don't know if that's an isolated case or they all sound like that. I need the fan to be on all the time since it's the only fan in the case. Looks like it's going to be the be quiet! straight power or dark power pro.

Soldato
I've just heard the fan noise of a unit in NORMAL mode and it's not appealing, that would really bother me. I don't know if that's an isolated case or they all sound like that. I need the fan to be on all the time since it's the only fan in the case. Looks like it's going to be the be quiet! straight power or dark power pro.

I can't answer that but it wouldn't be as noticeable once it was in the case and the side panel is on. Also most people would have their case more than 50cm from Earshot.

If you haven't already bought it and want a quieter unit then sure BeQuiet can be good, and there is also the Corsair RMi and Bitfenix Whisper. That one has an ugly 24 pin cable though so not the best if you want the cables to look good.

Associate
OP
I can't answer that but it wouldn't be as noticeable once it was in the case and the side panel is on. Also most people would have their case more than 50cm from Earshot.

If you haven't already bought it and want a quieter unit then sure BeQuiet can be good, and there is also the Corsair RMi and Bitfenix Whisper. That one has an ugly 24 pin cable though so not the best if you want the cables to look good.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Associate
Hello,

This is not the usual fan noise and in this case, it's covered by the warranty. any issue with your warranty you can either contact your reseller or contact us for any assistance. We will gladly help you.

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Associate
Hello,

This is not the usual fan noise and in this case, it's covered by the warranty. any issue with your warranty you can either contact your reseller or contact us for any assistance. We will gladly help you.

Thank you.
Best Regards,
I've just been through three units. An ultra gold prime. And two ultra platinum 650w. Every single one had the exact same noise. All bought from different retailers. Looking at the few YouTube video everyone I've seen that's noticed this has also had it on replacement units.

It seems very bad luck to have three in a row doesn't it? And I've not seen anyone that's had the issue where the replacement didn't.

I think this is just the fan noise. Unless the fan used has terrible QC. I switched to super flower which have silent fans. Going through three power supplies has been a headache and I won't be buying seasonic again. I've lost around £90 because of it.

It would have saved a lot of hassle and money if I was told it was just how the fans are. But every time a rep has replied to someone in a forum they've said it's not normal.

I think it's one of those noises that some hear and some don't. But I can hear it while gaming from 1 metre away and it's highly annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just been through three units. An ultra gold prime. And two ultra platinum 650w. Every single one had the exact same noise. All bought from different retailers. Looking at the few YouTube video everyone I've seen that's noticed this has also had it on replacement units.

It seems very bad luck to have three in a row doesn't it? And I've not seen anyone that's had the issue where the replacement didn't.

I think this is just the fan noise. Unless the fan used has terrible QC. I switched to super flower which have silent fans. Going through three power supplies has been a headache and I won't be buying seasonic again. I've lost around £90 because of it.

It would have saved a lot of hassle and money if I was told it was just how the fans are. But every time a rep has replied to someone in a forum they've said it's not normal.

I think it's one of those noises that some hear and some don't. But I can hear it while gaming from 1 metre away and it's highly annoying.
I also came to the conclusion that this is the normal fan noise after hearing several units.

Soldato
I also came to the conclusion that this is the normal fan noise after hearing several units.

Do you have the PSU in a location where it's taking existing hot air from inside the case? The PSU should be set so it takes fresh/cold air from outside the case.

First I have no connection with Seasonic other than I buy their PSU's. I have a house full of computers, home server room, software dev computers, 2 x HTPC.

I have never owned a Focus, however I have 7 Seasonic's and there silent in normal operation. Some of the older units don't have any fan operation switch, newer ones do and I always leave to hybrid mode. When the fans do operate I won't hear them over CPU or GPU fans. If there was an issue with Seasonic I would not keep buying them, I took this picture last night for another thread. As mentioned I have a space bedroom thats become a dedicated server room, part reason why so many.

seasonicSmall.jpg

Soldato
Maybe it's an issue with the Focus line. The comments on this page suggest it's a common issue.

Other then my G series i'm pretty certain my X series and platinum use Sanyo Denki San Ace fans. Your Focus may not be the same quality as what the X series use to be.

That said I've never heard a fan in any of the Seasonics, but then I totally over spec PSU's with much higher wattage then needed.

Can't you just leave the PSU in hybrid mode?

Associate
Yep I have an 850w Focus Plus Gold that I'm going to sell off - I like silence and the fan drove me mad, so swapped back to an EVGA unit - it's not 'faulty' as such so not going to bother paying postage to try and return a year old unit just to be messed about. All the early reviews and marketing about the silence of the unit just don't seem to be what us buyers later down the line have been experiencing. First Seasonic unit I've actually been disappointed to own.

Soldato
Yep I have an 850w Focus Plus Gold that I'm going to sell off - I like silence and the fan drove me mad, so swapped back to an EVGA unit - it's not 'faulty' as such so not going to bother paying postage to try and return a year old unit just to be messed about. All the early reviews and marketing about the silence of the unit just don't seem to be what us buyers later down the line have been experiencing. First Seasonic unit I've actually been disappointed to own.

If you run in hybrid mode that PSU should not even activate for regular computer usage, when it does activate your CPU and GPU fans should be more noisy.

Associate
In hybrid the fan pulses on and off while gaming for me, and the pulsing and tone of the PSU fan makes it infinitely more annoying - as others have found on the above threads/ videos. If I leave it in normal mode, I then have to deal with the fan's annoying tone all the time. I've swapped out the Seasonic for a EVGA G2L - which also has a hybrid mode, and as you suggest I can't hear it while gaming over the other components, and have no issue with it. It's just something to do with the fan choice from Seasonic on this range I think - which is a shame as it's a nice compact unit.

Associate
Yeah I've bought seasonic for over 15 years. Always been great. These three prime units though all had the same "brrrr" noise to
If you run in hybrid mode that PSU should not even activate for regular computer usage, when it does activate your CPU and GPU fans should be more noisy.
All three of mine could be heard over GPU and CPU fans which are smooth sounding, this noise sticks out and that's with headphones on as well while gaming. Just looking through Google there's tonnes of people with the same issue in the last couple of years. And it's the same noise every time they post a video/audio

I really didn't want to move from seasonic as they've been great to me but this issue has completely soured this recent build. Partly as I didn't know what it was at first thought it was the gpu and so sent that back. I think it's just a cheap fan choice. Or maybe it's an amazing fan but specced solely for longevity. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom