Software through web browser. Simple Q

Soldato
I'm sure this is a terriably simple question for those in the know,

What Language is used these days for webpages which are more like fully featured apps than pages,

For example, At work we use a system that tracks enginners through tablets and lets them complete job paperwork etc, its all a cloud based service, and to access the office back end, you log in through a website, and once you are in, what you are looking at has more in common with a standard windows application than a webpage, with things like drag and dropping, updating things on the page without refreshing, dialog boxes that pop up etc. I'm sure theres lots of examples of the same, etc.

What language would be used to create such systems? I think everything I know of is about 15 years out of date :O with PHP being used to create content on the fly, but pages needing a refresh to update data, etc

Soldato
It'll still use php or asp (.net) for server-side stuff. The front-end will use jquery and maybe some other javascript libraries for the interactive stuff.

Caporegime
React.js, Vue.js, and Angular are the big three web app frameworks. Modern sites are now implementing APIs on the servers for transfer of data (and no markup), and all of the rendering is done by the javascript on the front-end.

The days of using javascript purely to just enhance a website's UI are long dead.

Also jQuery is way over the hill and in decline. It's still got lots of support, but that it is due to how popular it was/is and the legacy usage will continue for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom