ISP for rural location?

Soldato
I would like to move to very rural area, but crappy net would mean the kids would end up killing me,lol

It depends on the area, rural areas have begun to benefited from local schemes to bring FTTC to them, you also have 2 way sat, but the latency sucks.

Associate
I was just googling this as we are in almost the exact situation. In rural Suffolk which promises fibre, but the box is 1.4 miles. My husband is an IT contractor and I work from home. We can't be on the TV and internet at the same time ... its just that bad. We are also thinking now of a leased line as a solution.

I came across a great tool - https://www.amvia.co.uk/leased-line - which says it will cost me about £7K.

Is that a good price? What else should I be looking for on the techie side?

Associate
Thanks Quartz

That is what we thought/hoped an why we thought dedicated infrastructure would be worth investing in.

(why is my Avatar a man? I would prefer it to be a women! Like me ... just saying)

Caporegime
If it's not just a house by itself (e.g you're a little village) then look at doing a community fibre partnership, you'll get a £3k grant towards it, residential users will get £500. I wouldn't take the £7k as given, if you are rural then the extra costs to install the fibre will be significant.

Associate
Caged.

Thank you! There are sadly only 4 houses together (ish) and we have the only business, which is homebred.

Where could I get information about the grant?

Soldato
OP
New place is very rural, several miles from exchange so expecting around 2-3mbps on ADSL, that's what the neighbours get. I have an LTE router which provides a fairly solid 40mbps (but only 30GB a month for £15).

I'm looking for an unlimited ISP for large downloads, Internet radio etc. Is any ISP better than any other for long distance rural? Is it better to just get the cheapest as it'll be a poor service anyway, or is it better to get a better ISP so as not to compound the low line speed?

Thinking to go with PlusNet unless anyone has a better idea?

Just to let folk know the outcome of this ended up getting BT line, with Plusnet, needed quite a bit of new copper stringing up and we're getting a pretty remarkable 9mb down and 1mb up. Around 3x the speed of our closest few neighbours. We're keeping the LTE router/external antenna as well for redundancy.

Associate
Just to let folk know the outcome of this ended up getting BT line, with Plusnet, needed quite a bit of new copper stringing up and we're getting a pretty remarkable 9mb down and 1mb up. Around 3x the speed of our closest few neighbours. We're keeping the LTE router/external antenna as well for redundancy.

Sounds a pretty good speed considering how worried you were; that'll certainly keep up with iplayer HD or netflix HD (not 4k though!) If you can set games consoles and other stuff to automatically download updates overnight, you'll also be able to abstract away a lot of the slow speed.

Back
Top Bottom