Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4, Xbox and PC Hopefully)

Associate
Given the way they treat staff and the relentless "meet the deadline" culture my bet would be on QA/QC folks being told they are wrong when raising issues..

Associate
What I want to know is how much swag / merchandise R* bribed the media with to guarantee an amazing score / review. Reading some of the metacritic reviews it's like they are playing a completely different game to the rest of us.

Someone mentioned a page or so back about playtesting / QA / QC, I completely agree. How on earth this wasn't picked up on (shoddy controls, countless animations and the actual game being not fun in the slightest, etc) is beyond me.

What you find fun is completely subjective, there is a lot of nitpicking in this thread.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
What I want to know is how much swag / merchandise R* bribed the media with to guarantee an amazing score / review. Reading some of the metacritic reviews it's like they are playing a completely different game to the rest of us.

Someone mentioned a page or so back about playtesting / QA / QC, I completely agree. How on earth this wasn't picked up on (shoddy controls, countless animations and the actual game being not fun in the slightest, etc) is beyond me.

Just because you don't find it fun, doesn't mean we all don't.

I'm loving it personally. I enjoy all the eating/crafting/horse grooming/feeding etc. I like games like this, I like the "survival" aspects. That to me is fun. I like slow games, I don't have reflexes any more to play games that require twitch reflexes.

I like the fact you don't have every available weapon on you at all times. I like the realism aspect of that. It forces you to think before you head out shooting or doing a mission/activity.

Soldato
I like the fact you don't have every available weapon on you at all times. I like the realism aspect of that. It forces you to think before you head out shooting or doing a mission/activity.

That is just a pointless gimmick that is designed to limit you for no reason tbh... Arthur can carry masses of food, bottles, tonics, animal carcasses, documents etc in his tiny satchel.

And as for getting you to think and choose your tactic for each activity...that would be good if it actually did that. As it is, half the time Arthur will put the guns you chose away and after a cutscene the game will give you the weapons it wants you to have!

The best one is during the story missions, and this happens a fair bit throughout the game, where the character you are with, say Dutch, will say let's get rid of the horses, or leave the horses here... No, all of my weapons are on the horse!... It makes me wonder if the people who wrote the story actually played the game. Didn't they realise that takes your guns away!

Last edited:
Soldato
I must be the only one thoroughly enjoying this game, not sure what people were expecting and whether they played the first red dead.
Maybe I am just getting older and prefer the slow pace of this game! :)
Same here fair enough its not perfect at times but I like it a few hours at a time , maybe it is age related who knows......:p

Soldato
I finished the game a week ago now, and I still don't feel like I've finished with it for some reason. It's a shame R* don't take a leaf out of Ubisoft's book and release a few little quest of whatever after release.
I still have a fair few quests going actually. And lots of animal hunts. Also some bounties.

Another cool thing I've found to do is read Arthur's diary. I'd never thought about it before, but it is quite good.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
And as for getting you to think and choose your tactic for each activity...that would be good if it actually did that. As it is, half the time Arthur will put the guns you chose away and after a cutscene the game will give you the weapons it wants you to have!

That sounds more like a bug though to be fair. I agree there are lots of bugs that need fixing like that one, but I do like the gun mechanic.

Soldato
I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I've probably put around 25 hours in so far and I'm still on chapter 3, loving everything about the game and still look forward to playing it at the end of the day. Even the supposed mundane tasks I find enjoyable, I find myself playing for an hour or two and not actually completing any missions; I'll just explore, hunt, fish, and interact with the world. I honestly cannot see anything in this game to complain about.

Associate
Still loving it here too. A few hours at a time turns into half a day. It's not perfect, but the actual world environment that they've created is just stunningly realistic at times.

It also has the best NPC interaction and voice acting that I've ever encountered playing a game.

And I love the way they've segued the cut scenes into the gameplay. It's like being in an interactive movie. Genius.

People saying that they finished it in a week is a bit odd to me. I'm 30 hours in and have only just got to chapter 3. There is just so much to do in this game and I honestly don't ever want it to end.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I'm surprised at some of the comments on here. I've probably put around 25 hours in so far and I'm still on chapter 3, loving everything about the game and still look forward to playing it at the end of the day. Even the supposed mundane tasks I find enjoyable, I find myself playing for an hour or two and not actually completing any missions; I'll just explore, hunt, fish, and interact with the world. I honestly cannot see anything in this game to complain about.

Same here. 42 hours in and part way through chapter 3. I find it quite a relaxing game in-between missions, having a mooch around seeing what I can find, stop for a bit of fishing or hunting, stopping at the nearest town to get my guns cleaned or see what's happening at the saloon and end up stopping for a game of blackjack or something

Soldato
It's also a game...not a movie. It simply isn't fun to play. Even people who love this game have slaughtered chapter 5 and the epilogues which themselves are a good portion of the game.

Soldato
Never played the first one so can't compare, I agree about the controls being shoddy but the thing that annoys me is the camera angle but that might just be my fault as I always feel like I'm more top down than over the shoulder, I like the game so far as for me it is so different to all the other games I play but I also agree that there is a lot of pointless fluff to this game which just seems to have been added to make the completion time longer. I really hope they get rid of this for GTA 6.

I'd also like someone to script in car from GTA to race around this bumpy crazy map

Soldato
It is fun to me.

I loved the first game and I'm loving this one too.

I'm glad you like it :) .

The last mission ive done is basically....drive a big cart from A to B, told then to go with same cart from B to C then spent a further 5 minutes pressing up on an analogue stick to make drinks followed by a shooting gallery just zzz. Its a shame as i was really looking forward to this.

Ill google the story i think lol.

Soldato
Hmmm not sure what's happened. Started off loving the game. Messed around doing lots of side quests in chapter 2. Then decided to continue with the story..... and well..... It's painful.

I'm not sure if I've got the drive to complete this.

Caporegime
It's also a game...not a movie. It simply isn't fun to play. Even people who love this game have slaughtered chapter 5 and the epilogues which themselves are a good portion of the game.

It feels like an evolution of those 90's FMV games like Road Avenger where you just had to press the right buttons at the time for the story to continue with a bit of clunky combat gameplay and insane amounts of horse riding thrown in. Plus a bunch of scripted random encounters to distract and waste your time.

Back
Top Bottom