Games for a 13yr old boy

Associate
Good morning folks,

As per the title really, I'm after a couple of board games for my 13 year old son.

Now, neither of us have played many before, just the 'standard' ones like Cluedo, Game of Life etc.

I've read through some of the other threads and have picked out the following as good 'starter' games:

Galaxy Truckers, Carcassone and Ticket to Ride.

I'd appreciate opinions on which is easiest to play for novices like us, replay value, ease of set up etc.

Any other suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
Does he have interests in any particular subjects/video games?

I used to LOVE playing risk with my dad when i was about his age! but i was always into strategy games so that likely wouldn't translate well if your lad is into something else :D

Soldato
Carcassone is a great game with a lot of replay. A lot of expansions too if you want to add to it but you don't have to to enjoy it. I still play this after years with my wife.

Catan is great too, very easy to learn and get to grips with.

Risk as mentioned above is a great war game, but there are a few different versions that change win conditions somewhat. I have 3 versions myself. Of course you can always just play to be the ash man standing.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

He does like video games, I'll check out Risk and Catan too.

Last time I played Risk I was a boy myself, is there any particular version you'd recommend?

Soldato

Last time I played Risk I was a boy myself, is there any particular version you'd recommend?

I would just get whatever you can get your hands on, they are all pretty much the same principle. Not sure if there are any catered to the younger audience though :D

Soldato

The later versions have objectives such as 'hold North America and Africa' to win, where the earlier versions simply have 'destroy all players of colour x'. All games however play the same so the base rules do not change.

Soldato
Well, there's always Lap Dance.

For a 13-year-old of reasonable intelligence I'd say almost anything except a dry Euro would be fine. Legendary Encounters: Alien might go down well.

Back
Top Bottom