BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
Just noticed a g.fast pod attached to our local cab in the past few days. As I will be about 280m from it i doubt I'll gain much from the 80/20 that I get at the moment. Why are they still bothering with g.fast?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I have the option to upgrade to G.fast. I'm with Zen and it would mean starting my 12 month contract again, which I am just over half way though.

Not sure I want to start a new contract, or pay £52 for 160Mbps or £60 for the max on my line (200 - 230Mbps) - Currently paying £43 for 80/20 + phone line.

Any opinions?

Code:
VDSL Range A (Clean)       80     63.1    20    19    57.3     Available    --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted)    80     60      20    19    54.5     Available    --  
G.fast Range A (Clean)     231    201.7   33    14.1  167.6    Available    --  
G.fast Range B (Impacted)  258.8  175.7   29.9  12.4  152      Available    --

Caporegime
G.fast doesn't go on the pole, and you aren't likely to see anything appearing on the roadworks site as it doesn't involve digging anything up or incursion into the road.

I have the option to upgrade to G.fast. I'm with Zen and it would mean starting my 12 month contract again, which I am just over half way though.

Not sure I want to start a new contract, or pay £52 for 160Mbps or £60 for the max on my line (200 - 230Mbps) - Currently paying £43 for 80/20 + phone line.

Any opinions?

Code:
VDSL Range A (Clean)       80     63.1    20    19    57.3     Available    -- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)    80     60      20    19    54.5     Available    -- 
G.fast Range A (Clean)     231    201.7   33    14.1  167.6    Available    -- 
G.fast Range B (Impacted)  258.8  175.7   29.9  12.4  152      Available    --

Not sure I'd pay Zen prices for it. EE do the 300Mbps product for £47.

Let the contract run out and then migrate away. There will likely be more competition by then as well - it's not like your 80Mbps FTTC is slow.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Not sure I'd pay Zen prices for it. EE do the 300Mbps product for £47.

Let the contract run out and then migrate away. There will likely be more competition by then as well - it's not like your 80Mbps FTTC is slow.
Yeah, you've pretty much just summed up my thoughts on it....

Associate
Whelp, i just got my g.fast service installed on Friday, and i'm finding it pretty good. But i'll be buggered if i can find a modem so i can use my own router. The ultra fast homehub is decent for most uses (i managed 80MB/s to my server over wifi, which is one floor up and a little over) but its not exactly feature rich. Anyone personally recommend any g.fast compatible modems?

Mostly interested in the better upload speed
rF0acbA.png

Last edited:
Soldato
The only modem I've heard of that'll support G.Fast as the Zisa G1000. I've not used one myself but have a friend of a friend using one with his Unifi USG and it's all working well as far as I know.

Associate
Jumping onto this thread rather than starting my own. Rental property I am living in has just got FTTH, only planning on being here until September next year - what is the best ISP option on a shorter contract, or is it worth just going on 12 month contract and bailing a few months early (and paying early termination)

Associate
What have you got available exactly? If it's BT FTTP then you're going to have very limited options.

Yes, it's BT FTTP. Most seem to have a minimum 12 months with fairly hefty install cost. Might just opt with normal FTTC, but other half who has lived here a while has said that BT told her that this wasn't an option strangely. Might do my own digging.

Associate
Yes, it's BT FTTP. Most seem to have a minimum 12 months with fairly hefty install cost. Might just opt with normal FTTC, but other half who has lived here a while has said that BT told her that this wasn't an option strangely. Might do my own digging.

You might not have an option for FTTC. My exchange is FTTP or FTTC but not both. So half the area has FTTP like me and the rest only FTTC. I don't remember the install cost being very high when i got mine, but i think that was in the initial roll out period where they were giving things away for 12 months (300Mbs regardless of package etc). As far as i'm aware only BT as an ISP offer FTTP on their lines currently, and they're all 12 months minimum.

Back
Top Bottom