Sound BlasterX AE vs Sound Blaster Z

Soldato
Well, AE-5 has overall pretty much the best headphone output of sound cards.
Low output impedance, good current and voltage output capabilities.

Though for gaming side Creative might be getting ready to release sound cards with head shape customizable HRTF, which could improve immersion if your head shape isn't average.

Associate
Personally upgraded from a Z to AE-5 and sound is definitely better for my AKG712's.

But I also got the new G6 and that is better again, so imo get the G6 which is a similar price to the AE-5.

Soldato
I think it really depends on what the headset is. If it's a cheap headset, then I doubt the £120 cost would be worth it.

The above post is a good example of when the AE-5 can be worth the cost, as the K712 headphones need a decent amp.

The Z doesn't really have a proper headphone amp in the same way the AE-5 and other similar cards do, but it's more than enough for anything that can be considered easy to drive (most headsets with a microphone). K712 and other AKG headphones are a bit too demanding for the Z to get the best from them.

Associate
OP
I think it really depends on what the headset is. If it's a cheap headset, then I doubt the £120 cost would be worth it.

The above post is a good example of when the AE-5 can be worth the cost, as the K712 headphones need a decent amp.

The Z doesn't really have a proper headphone amp in the same way the AE-5 and other similar cards do, but it's more than enough for anything that can be considered easy to drive (most headsets with a microphone). K712 and other AKG headphones are a bit too demanding for the Z to get the best from them.

I currently have Sennheiser Game Ones. I am looking to possible get a new headset as this one is pretty worn but not sure what yet. So would you suggest its worth the upgrade then with Game Ones?

Is there another headset you would recommend that would go well with the AE-5 for gaming?

Associate
OP
Personally upgraded from a Z to AE-5 and sound is definitely better for my AKG712's.

But I also got the new G6 and that is better again, so imo get the G6 which is a similar price to the AE-5.

Had a little look at the G6, So you reckon the G6 is better for gaming instead of the AE-5? What did you find better with the G6 over the AE-5?

Associate
Had a little look at the G6, So you reckon the G6 is better for gaming instead of the AE-5? What did you find better with the G6 over the AE-5?

Couple of things;
- It has better signal to noise ratio being an external unit, I find the AE5 has a very very slight background hiss at high volumes and quiet sound effects, the G6 doesn't. Normal volumes though you probably wouldn't notice.
- G6 has an external control unit, finer volume control and much more convenient changing to different headphones.
- AE5 only supports stereo over optical out, G6 does 5.1 dolby digital
- G6 has optical in supporting 5.1 dolby digital

Negatives
- No LED strip support
- No 5.1 analog out

Apart from the above they are pretty much identical in features & control, in my opinion the G6 is the more flexible unit being external and works with more than just PC's (eg consoles and home theater setups, even phones although it will cane your battery).

Man of Honour
One consideration - if you are using a mic for gaming I've never found an internal soundcard (even shielded ones) that you didn't need to noise gate or similar to get good results and the AE-5 in my experience is no exception - external ones other than cheap junk usually have cleaner mic pickup.

Associate
One consideration - if you are using a mic for gaming I've never found an internal soundcard (even shielded ones) that you didn't need to noise gate or similar to get good results - external ones other than cheap junk usually have cleaner mic pickup.

Good point, not tried a mic with the G6. I run a boom SLR mic on the AE5 with good results but do need to boost the audio gain in windows.

Soldato
I haven’t owned a soundcard in years so when I bought my AE-5 I wasn’t sure what to expect. I only have onboard sound to compare it to, but for what it’s worth, the difference is absolutely incredible. I’m not a headphone user, I have the speakers under my TV in the living room for movies and games. Couldn’t be happier to be honest :)

OCP

OCP

Associate
Couple of things;
- It has better signal to noise ratio being an external unit, I find the AE5 has a very very slight background hiss at high volumes and quiet sound effects, the G6 doesn't. Normal volumes though you probably wouldn't notice.
- G6 has an external control unit, finer volume control and much more convenient changing to different headphones.
- AE5 only supports stereo over optical out, G6 does 5.1 dolby digital
- G6 has optical in supporting 5.1 dolby digital

Negatives
- No LED strip support
- No 5.1 analog out

Apart from the above they are pretty much identical in features & control, in my opinion the G6 is the more flexible unit being external and works with more than just PC's (eg consoles and home theater setups, even phones although it will cane your battery).

How did you get 5.1 optical out working on the g6? Apparently it’s not supported. And I can’t get it working either.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Went from Z to AE5 with AKG K550s and noticed under Direct HP mode a very nice sound improvement especially with details and clean sounding music and movies.

Sounds like the soundblaster G6 is newer though, and also don't forget EVGAs Nu soundcard and also Creatives Soundblaster AE-9 are due out any day now
and are probably even more powerful and newer then AE-5 or G6, but then they will be £200-250 soundcards.

Associate
How did you get 5.1 optical out working on the g6? Apparently it’s not supported. And I can’t get it working either.

It's just setup with 5.1 speakers in the connect software with SP DIF as the output and I'm using an old Sony AV amp with 5.1 . Using windows sound menu and running a channel test it correctly plays through the various speakers, also running "test patterns" in Netflix it again gets the right channel outputs. Both the SBX and SPDIF icons are lit up in the software, hope this helps. I'm running connect 3.3.20

Soldato
Can't see how that can be worth it if you have no problem with the SB Z.

The SB Z is acting as a digital transport for SBX. Getting an AE5, it would be doing the same. There is no gain in sound quality to be had, because it's digital data; as long as the card in question is functioning properly.

Replacing the SB Z with an AE5, would only be worth it if you use the headphones with the sound card directly, or if there is some driver/software issue stopping the SB Z from working as it should do.

Associate
Can't see how that can be worth it if you have no problem with the SB Z.

The SB Z is acting as a digital transport for SBX. Getting an AE5, it would be doing the same. There is no gain in sound quality to be had, because it's digital data; as long as the card in question is functioning properly.

Replacing the SB Z with an AE5, would only be worth it if you use the headphones with the sound card directly, or if there is some driver/software issue stopping the SB Z from working as it should do.
Thanks I’m pleased about that it’s saved me a bit of money.

Back
Top Bottom