• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What's the minimum CPU that will 'not' hold back a Titan X (Pascal)?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Trying to decide on what CPU to get for a new build and will be using it alongside the Titan X Pascal GPU, but I don't want it to hold back the GPU, so any experience on what's the minimum I need?

I'll be using it with a 1440p/144Hz screen if that helps?

Soldato
Thanks, so if I get the 8600K and overclock all cores to 5GHz (lottery permitting) it should be more than enough for modern games at 1440p/144Hz?
You should be OK as I have a 8600K

However my vote could have gone to 2700X or 2600X. Because they are much better package.

Please bear in mind that 3200C14 ram is the absolute minimum even for 8600K. Otherwise it cuts performance.

Soldato
I can pick up the 9600K at the same price, a little faster out of the gate, or could push to the 9700K OEM without stretching the budget (though there's a £150 difference)?

My inner geek wants the 9900K but my wallet doesn't :D
If you are planning on sticking with the processor for a few years the 9700k will offer you that little bit more future proofing as it has the 2 extra cores. Does the motherboard support 9 series CPUs? I'm not familiar with the backward compatibility of Intel's newest stuff.

Man of Honour
OP
If you are planning on sticking with the processor for a few years the 9700k will offer you that little bit more future proofing as it has the 2 extra cores. Does the motherboard support 9 series CPUs? I'm not familiar with the backward compatibility of Intel's newest stuff.

My motherboard does support the new 9 series CPUs but only after a BIOS update.

Man of Honour
OP
So, thinking on this, I would really love the 9700K or 9900K but looking at reviews etc.. (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 9600K overclocked to say 5GHz all cores is just as fast in games/OS (I don't video edit or stream), as long as I pair it with very fast RAM?

If that's the case then I could use the £150 savings on other parts of my build, if I'm wrong then I may just have to suck it up and get the 9700K?

Soldato
I have the same gpu, I am running a 8700K@5Ghz and all is fine.

Spend your extra money on a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal M02
to keep the heat down to 60C when overclocked.

The air blower it comes with will hold it back, as it goes to 84C!

Man of Honour
OP
I have the same gpu, I am running a 8700K@5Ghz and all is fine.

Spend your extra money on a Alphacool Eiswolf 120 GPX Pro Nvidia Geforce GTX TITAN X Pascal M02
to keep the heat down to 60C when overclocked.

The air blower it comes with will hold it back, as it goes to 84C!
Thanks, I'm under custom water so it's all blocked up with an EK water block and 840mm of rads :D

Soldato
So, thinking on this, I would really love the 9700K or 9900K but looking at reviews etc.. (correct me if I'm wrong) that the 9600K overclocked to say 5GHz all cores is just as fast in games/OS (I don't video edit or stream), as long as I pair it with very fast RAM?

If that's the case then I could use the £150 savings on other parts of my build, if I'm wrong then I may just have to suck it up and get the 9700K?

No need to suck it up and spend more. The 8700k / 8600k overclocked will have no real issues in games at 144hz. Performance will be broadly similar to the 9th Gen stuff which out the box appears slightly quicker as it Turbo's higher out the box. Easily negated by manually overclocking and more so as your under a custom loop. More often then not, in more graphical games, it will be your Titan XP which will be the overall limit in the system, not the CPU (bar few very heavy CPU games)

Back
Top Bottom