Why I have gone back to Windows 7

Caporegime
Aall those on Win 10 saying they disabled the updates, and won't update to the latest versions for ages, or at all as they keep failing, and hosing their rigs, etc... etc..., so effectively running old out datedversions that are gona be vunerable, while having a go at all those still on Win 7 etc... saying, they are running old outdated versions, that are gona be vulnerable.............., you've got to laugh :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I must admit I did also go back to Windows 7 when I did my last OS re install.

My reason for this is down to all the crap that comes bundled in with the OS, I am one who likes the very minimum on my PC and Windows 7 from a fresh install just runs so much better unlike W10.

I had Windows 10 home and I removed all the apps that came built in, five minutes later I click back on the start menu to find them all being re installed again, Rinse and repeat 3 or 4 times but they refuse to remain uninstalled.

I do like W10 but there is just too must crap installed like Alarm clock, Facebook apps, 3D print etc. Its like when you buy a new pre built PC or laptop and comes with all the bloatware installed.

Also the issues of not being able to control Windows updates is a pain and it not listening when you tell it not to install third party drivers.

Man of Honour
You could not pay me to use very dated Win7, you guys need to wake up , Win7 won't be around forever and is on its way out, either move to Win10 or Linux etc and stop bitching about it, plenty of options out there.
It's not like you don't have alternatives. Do you keep your car forever?...No you let it go, that is the how Windows and any OS works ,they all have limited life span, some lacking in support in certain areas like Win7 on newer hardware etc...

Move with the times or get left behind, your choice.

Only there isn't necessarily - I do a fair bit of stuff that the software only exists for Windows that my usage can depend on long term uptime without the OS in any way interfering or rebooting - which works fine with Windows 7 but not with Windows 10 and there are no existing solutions using say Ubuntu or I'd use that.

This is not like choosing a brand or model of car where most of them do the same job - I wish it was as I'd have ditched MS straight after Windows 7 for a more competent offering from another source.

If we don't complain nothing ever improves - I really don't understand the people who just passively accept the rubbish that is Windows 10 - if you just let companies peddle you **** and eat it up you'll never get anything better.

from a fresh install just runs so much better unlike W10.

Windows 10 does a lot of stuff in the background especially after a new install or update - between those times it can run quite well but meh you never know when you are going to have the OS resources fully to yourself or not - I think a lot of people don't notice as they have so much rubbish installed and in the background that it is all much of a muchness - as I try to keep my OS install fairly clean and with minimal extra stuff running I notice it a lot. I dare say Windows 10 performs a bit better when you have a lot of stuff running so some people might see less of a slowdown from having a lot of **** running compared to 7.

Soldato
Disable the windows auto update the easy way from the group policy editor, I havent had any problem with it enabling itself automatically again, even after installing big updates, it stays disabled. Also if you dont want the big updates to be installed as soon as they have come out, changed it to "Semi-Annual channel" in the advanced options on the windows update.

2nb94c2.jpg

b8wzmr.jpg

Soldato
Have you been reading this page or what... Or just cherry picking the responses to slam?

Obviously been reading the posts, take the very first post, sure activation issue on 10 was last straw for him, I also suffered from that but that was fixed for me within 36 hours but you could still use Win10 without issue, however that is not Win10 fault but Microsoft, end of the day issues come and go on every OS. You can try and blame Win10 but the real issue is with Microsoft and the way they have changed policy/control and direction they are going with Windows.

Nobody is forced to use Win10 or any OS they care to name, don't like don't use it and send your constructive feedback (if any) to Microsoft rather they going over same old moans and groans with Win10. You know they could bring out Win11 or 12 and same old bitching would soon end up here.

Most of us have used many Windows Operating Systems over the decades and we all know Microsoft like to remove/change things etc, however quality of updates/activation issues are squarely on Microsoft not Win10.

Yes I'm aware some of the people don't like data tracking or forced updates.

The only thing users should be surprised about is how bad Microsoft have become in dropping the ball with quality of their testing etc over recent years...IMHO they need to slow down spend more time on testing etc before releasing patches/updates etc..Seems like their mind is elsewhere.

I'm waiting for the next guy to blame Win10 on Brexit ;) .

Soldato
Nobody is forced to use Win10 or any OS they care to name, don't like don't use it and send your constructive feedback (if any) to Microsoft rather they going over same old moans and groans with Win10. You know they could bring out Win11 or 12 and same old bitching would soon end up here.

I was forced to use win 10 MS because directx 12 was only on win10.. The same thing happened with winxp, I was forced to use vista because of the directx updates for xp. Plus MS put a nag popup on win7 to make people switch over to win10,

So yes us gamers was forced big time to switch to win10 and I hate MS and win10 because its a load of bs, and MS is going backwards not forwards in my opinion. Sorry is thats a tad too strong.

V F

V F

Soldato
Aall those on Win 10 saying they disabled the updates, and won't update to the latest versions for ages, or at all as they keep failing, and hosing their rigs, etc... etc..., so effectively running old out datedversions that are gona be vunerable, while having a go at all those still on Win 7 etc... saying, they are running old outdated versions, that are gona be vulnerable.............., you've got to laugh :p

So why haven't I been hit by all the nasties after all these years that I'm supposedly supposed to be so vulnerable for... Same for OS X being on El Capitan or an old Android that was supposed to be exploited by Certifi-gate.

Soldato
I was forced to use win 10 MS because directx 12 was only on win10.. The same thing happened with winxp, I was forced to use vista because of the directx updates for xp. Plus MS put a nag popup on win7 to make people switch over to win10,

So yes us gamers was forced big time to switch to win10 and I hate MS and win10 because its a load of bs, and MS is going backwards not forwards in my opinion. Sorry is thats a tad too strong.

But if you are a gamer, arent you going to switch over to the latest OS anyway? Manufacturers are not sticking around to support Windows 7, look at Intel and AMD deciding to stop fully supporting Win 7 with their newer CPU's. MS didnt force their hand with that idea.

SSD's works better with Windows 8 and above, other hardware and software benefit because the coding behind Win 10 which isnt in Win 7.

Win 10 isnt perfect by all means but if I want to keep my data safe and secure, Im stick to Win 10. Want to keep your OS safe without messing around with GP etc, dont put it on the internet, problem solved.

Last edited:
Soldato
But if you are a gamer, arent you going to switch over to the latest OS anyway? Manufacturers are not sticking around to support Windows 7, look at Intel and AMD deciding to stop fully supporting Win 7 with their newer CPU's. MS didnt force their hand with that idea.

SSD's works better with Windows 8 and above, other hardware and software benefit because the coding behind Win 10 which isnt in Win 7.

Win 10 isnt perfect by all means but if I want to keep my data safe and secure, Im stick to Win 10. Want to keep your OS safe without messing around with GP etc, dont put it on the internet, problem solved.

I wouldnt't of switched from win7, no, but seeing that directx 12 was only supported on win10, I had too. Moving to win10 has been the worst OS change so far, as its such a ugly looking OS, its a shock to the system.

Man of Honour
Windows 10 hasn't exactly excelled itself on the security front anyhow - wasn't that long ago it had a flaw that allowed malware to use a vulnerability in it to execute themselves when scanned by the MPE and a variation could even get elevated security due to it which seems to have been swept under the rug but I still suspect was one of the attack vectors for Wannacrypt.

Soldato

You forget one thing, I'm a big gamer too. I've been gaming on PC since DOS 6.22 days, we are used to upgrading hardware, software and even OS, it comes with the territory as they say, you don't see gamers bitching about upgrading video cards or hardware , but hey we get some like you that moan that they have to upgrade OS, with respect get over it, if you really are a gamer like I'm it comes with the territory and you just have have to live with it like all the other upgrades we gamers have to do now and then.

Gaming wise I never had any issues with 10 for gaming and I have used it since day one, in fact it has been rock stable for me, only ever had two issues, one was Win10 1809 upgrade (it would not install with Bitdefender AV) and the other was activation issue we had recently which was fixed within 36 hours for me, this is on top of overclocked CPU and video card so from my point of view Win10 has been fine in general and for gaming.

Side Note: Win10 was free for a lot of users from 7/8/8.1 as well, also when you consider how cheap Win10 is even if you have to pay for it especially compared to video card, CPU upgrade etc for gaming I don't see why you are moaning about 10 and DX12.

Last edited:
Soldato
We would bitch about the hardware if it isn't working as expected, of cause we would, same with anything...... I have had very little with win10 aswel and to be honest its been rock solid 99% of the time, but MS hasnt put as much work into win10 as its previous OS's. I think MS have tried to cover all devices using 1 OS, instead of designing 2 or 3 OS made purposely for a device

Soldato
We would bitch about the hardware if it isn't working as expected, of cause we would, same with anything...... I have had very little with win10 aswel and to be honest its been rock solid 99% of the time, but MS hasnt put as much work into win10 as its previous OS's. I think MS have tried to cover all devices using 1 OS, instead of designing 2 or 3 OS made purposely for a device

So you are moaning for sake of it, you have stated it's rock solid 99% of the time. I can understand changes/things added or removed from OS but that will always happen, just look at the past from Windows 3.1, the direction Microsoft is going is an all in one OS, they have stated that several times.

The real issue IMHO is not proper testing with some of the updates for 10 or trying to release them too soon. OS itself is fine IMHO.

Soldato
Its just the worst OS they have bought out thats all, regardless if it works or not and windows 3.1/3.11 was a great OS at the time..... Basically all the past OS has been improvements,, win10 hasnt been improved, just gone backwards, got very bloated, and you havent got much control over it.

Last edited:
Associate
well reading this over the last few days I decided to install windows 8.1 on both machines and I have to say I am very happy with it....everything seems to work...no network problems no windows changing my settings back to default because w10 says I have to use theirs etc etc. I downloaded a few apps to get rid of the retro start up thingy and I am lovin it....seems very fast. So will stay with 8.1 for a while and see how it goes.

Caporegime
From the 10 thread.

I am still on 1709 desperately trying to stop 1803 from installing. I have to be care and not check for Windows Updates and just let Windows check itself automatically, or it tries to download and install the 1803 "feature" update.

Why? Because I'm having issues with my Creative X-Fi Titanium soundcard which only affect peoples using Windows 1803 or above. :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom