Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
BBC News - Outcry after police shoot African-American security guard 'hero'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46187460

I'm looking forward to the officer's account of things but seriously, how repeatedly stupid can they get!

Rather shuts down the whole "what we need is more good guys with guns" argument. Aside from the obvious confusion during a shooting if everyone pulls out a gun, there's not much point being a "good guy with a gun" if the police just shoot you when they turn up. But then, as he was black the cops would have probably shot him anyway, gun or no gun...

Associate
Just join me in giving up on US gun laws, let them kill each other, in fact, after each mass shooting more guns should be given away for free.

Caporegime
So Gun deaths in Oz were falling before the gun-laws were introduced

They rose between 1989-1991, started falling in 1992, plateaued during 1993-1994, fell slightly in 1995, and rose again in 1996. Between 1978-1996 there were 13 shootings in which five or more people died (not including the shooter). Since 1996, that number has remained at 0.

and continued to fall at much the same rate afterwards

No. Firearm related suicide rates from 1997-2004 were lower than predicted by the trends in previous years.

until they got to a, seemingly irreducible, 230/Year.

No. It fell even further: 190 in 2011, 210 in 2013, and 218 in 2015.

As far as I can see, Stricter gun laws actually had no real effect at all on the already established trend.

Already debunked.

Screen-Shot-2017-11-03-at-10-03-29-am.png

Screen-Shot-2017-11-03-at-10-04-28-am.png

Claiming that they generated some sort of incredible result seems a very questionable claim.

The experts disagree. I'll stand with the experts.

The odds that a 22-year absence of mass shootings in Australia since 1996 gun reforms are due to chance are one in 200,000, new research reveals.

Published today in the Annals of Internal Medicine, scholars at the University of Sydney and Macquarie University used mathematical techniques to test the null hypothesis that the rate of mass shootings in Australia before and after the 1996 law reforms is unchanged.

(Source).

Soldato
BBC News - Outcry after police shoot African-American security guard 'hero'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46187460

I'm looking forward to the officer's account of things but seriously, how repeatedly stupid can they get!

Who's stupid in this? There was a mass shooting a few days ago, the officers arrived at the scene where there was a potentially active shooter and a guy with a gun knelt over another guy. I'm not sure why this is being painted as a racist thing, yet the BBC's article on knife crime in London doesn't even mention the completely disproportionate amount of knife crime committed by black people against other black people.

Commissario
Who's stupid in this? There was a mass shooting a few days ago, the officers arrived at the scene where there was a potentially active shooter and a guy with a gun knelt over another guy. I'm not sure why this is being painted as a racist thing, yet the BBC's article on knife crime in London doesn't even mention the completely disproportionate amount of knife crime committed by black people against other black people.
I think the reason people are getting a little upset about it is, the US gun lobby puts a lot of faith in "good guys with guns" and armed security, yet the police shot him without any attempt to work out if he was a threat and it would appear despite bystanders telling them he was a security guy.

This isn't the first time this has happened, not too long ago a would be church shooter got stopped by a random member of the church, who then very nearly got shot by the police when they arrived.

It makes a complete and utter mockery of the NRA parrots with their "good guys with guns stop bad buys with guns, polly want a campaign contribution" line, when the good guys with guns, who are even employed to be "good guys with guns" get shot by poorly trained*, nervous, trigger happy cops.
What's the point of having a gun for self defence, or "defence of others" (as part of your job), if you're as likely to get killed by a cop responding to your 911 call, as from a criminal.

*It often seems US police training puts a lot of emphasis on "removing the threat", but very little on "Identifying the correct threat", let alone "confirming the threat" - hence the regular shooting of pet dogs that are tied up, people carrying water pistols, phones, wallets, nothing.

Man of Honour
OP
*It often seems US police training puts a lot of emphasis on "removing the threat", but very little on "Identifying the correct threat", let alone "confirming the threat" - hence the regular shooting of pet dogs that are tied up, people carrying water pistols, phones, wallets, nothing.

In my experience US police are jumpy as **** and probably with good reason to be fair but that doesn't help when they shoot an innocent person.

As I've mentioned before had a US state trooper pull his gun on me once in what would have been quite unremarkable circumstances in the UK.

Man of Honour
OP
I suppose if they used one of those electric carving knives, that’d count as a semi-automatic knife? Dunno what they’d do about plugging it in if they had to chase their victim down though. :eek:

Probably low enough wattage you could run one quite awhile from a power bank with AC output.

Caporegime
Who's stupid in this? There was a mass shooting a few days ago, the officers arrived at the scene where there was a potentially active shooter and a guy with a gun knelt over another guy. I'm not sure why this is being painted as a racist thing,

Because they shot yet another innocent black guy despite the onlookers shouting at them not to. It's classic US police incompetence in going off half cocked combined with their usual racist assumptions.

It also rather skewers the good-guy-with-a-gun crud. Even if you have one the Police will off him.

Good job.

Associate
So Gun deaths in Oz were falling before the gun-laws were introduced and continued to fall at much the same rate afterwards until they got to a, seemingly irreducible, 230/Year.

As far as I can see, Stricter gun laws actually had no real effect at all on the already established trend.

Claiming that they generated some sort of incredible result seems a very questionable claim.

(You know, Like how "Speed cameras save lives-etc")

There's a decent size drop off after a couple years. Combine that with the increase in population over the same period and I'd say a chart showing per 100k people would definitely show an accelerated drop.

Soldato
Because they shot yet another innocent black guy despite the onlookers shouting at them not to. It's classic US police incompetence in going off half cocked combined with their usual racist assumptions.

It also rather skewers the good-guy-with-a-gun crud. Even if you have one the Police will off him.

Good job.

Black people are shot disproportionately higher than white people, but is it racist when black Police officers are also doing the shooting? By the way, in total more innocent white people are shot than black people, though it rarely gets a news story or a hash tag. Funny how that works.

Soldato
I've just been watching the Narcos UK first episode about the Noonan family in Manchester. It said at one point in the mid 90s the gun crime was so high the city was nicknamed Gunchester.

Though I'm thinking the gun crime wasn't caused by legal firearms holders.

Back
Top Bottom