They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

Associate
OP
Saw it at the cinema on Tuesday. It was a moving experience, I would consider it more of an art piece than a documentary as such but it was very unique and something people will remember for a long time to come.

Caporegime
I have had to download it as i obviously can't access the BBC here.

Obviously, it's both fascinating, heartbreaking and just mind-numbing to see and the dialogue over the footage is so human.

Its should go down as essential viewing to help teach new generations just how ridiculous the war was really.

I cant say i was amazed by the enhanced footage to the point I was expecting from the trailer. It's not meant to sound disrespectful in a way but i thought it would be better than it was.

Associate
Watched it this morning, Amazing that they have managed to convert the original footage to the quality shown. Incredible commentary from the Men who served on the front lines.

Soldato
Watched this last night. A very difficult watch, but essential viewing. So many emotions, but the most overwhelming was the sheer horror and pointlessness of it all. And yet those soldiers still managed to hold on to their humanity somehow.

I've always had deep respect for those who served. I have even more so now. But no respect for those generals and politicians who forced those men to fight and live in those conditions, who abused their soldiers' loyalty to their respective countries and sacrificed them as cannon fodder.

The way the footage has been transformed is stunning when you consider the poor state, brevity and low frame rate (@15fps) of most of the archive footage. It's hard to describe how overwhelming the sensation is when the footage segues from B&W to colour for the first time and the reality suddenly washes over the viewer.

Associate
. It's hard to describe how overwhelming the sensation is when the footage segues from B&W to colour for the first time and the reality suddenly washes over the viewer.[/QUOTE]

This. My jaw literally dropped when it happened.

Soldato
Amazing to watch and the transition from black and white to colour, just brings everything to life, makes it feel real. Black and white tends to look fake.

Don't think anyone can really fathom what they went through on the front line, utmost respect to all those who served and died during WW1. It was utterly brutal.

Caporegime
Just watched this....truly horrific and heartbreaking.

You obviously know the story from history lessons and reading/watching TV programs, but it makes you realise you how much of the brutal side you didn’t really fathom until it’s shown to you in such a way as is displayed here.

It’s also scary how it switches to colour from black and white, the moment it becomes oh so very real.

So much respect for the young men, and even kids who served their country.

Back
Top Bottom