• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2600k upgrade to what? HELP!

Associate
I've just upgraded my lovely 780 Dual Classy Hydrocopper to a KFA2 1080 but I think my 2600k @ 4.6ghz is sadly starting to show its age so I need to upgrade but I just cant decide to what.

Main issue for upgrading is so I can stream at least 720/60

Associate
OP
I don't have a budget in mind, but I'm not about to go and buy an i9.

I'd love an 8700k but that's the Intel fanboy in me but I worry its a bad choice. I've spent years on Intel (as have many) and even the thought of going to AMD worries me but looking at upgrade paths and cost effectiveness I'm certainly being swayed that way and even after watching god knows how many videos I'm still unsure of which AMD chip to go for.

As you will notice from the 2600k, I'm not a serial upgrader and only move when I really have to. Hope this helps

Associate
I don't have a budget in mind, but I'm not about to go and buy an i9.

I'd love an 8700k but that's the Intel fanboy in me but I worry its a bad choice. I've spent years on Intel (as have many) and even the thought of going to AMD worries me but looking at upgrade paths and cost effectiveness I'm certainly being swayed that way and even after watching god knows how many videos I'm still unsure of which AMD chip to go for.

As you will notice from the 2600k, I'm not a serial upgrader and only move when I really have to. Hope this helps
If you're not desperate wait until ~april next year as rumours have it AMDs 3000 series chips will wipe the floor with Intel's current chips that or get a 2600x

Associate
What resolution are you on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFd0aVhVKU skip to around 6:55.

If 1080p or even 1440p, stick with what you got. Intel got cocky, stopped innovating and took advantage of compulsive updaters that splash out every year regardless of the cr*p Intel produce, just to say they have the latest and greatest all the time.

Only now are Intel getting worried by AMD's efforts and beginning to make an effort again.

If you've really got the itch, I'd personally go the AMD route, they're just much better value for money.

Associate
I upgraded from a 3570k to a 2600 build. Went high end board and good ram.

Your clock speed is still good with the intel. Personally at this stage hold out for new release of AMD as it is looking great by all accounts. Intel didn't this time around convince me.

Associate
Might be some good bundles in black friday deals - keep your eye out and look at the 8700k/2600/2700x etc. Cant go wrong with either..

I have had both, and personally prefer the 8700k setup.

Associate
I was going to go for the 2700x however since I’ve never went with AMD I’m planning to go for the 8700k on Black Friday. Already bought a Hero X board.
I’m upgrading from a 2700k and as you say it’s starting to show it’s age especially in recent titles including CoD Blops4.

Associate
I was going to go for the 2700x however since I’ve never went with AMD I’m planning to go for the 8700k on Black Friday. Already bought a Hero X board.
I’m upgrading from a 2700k and as you say it’s starting to show it’s age especially in recent titles including CoD Blops4.

nice board choice, keep your eye out for some 8 pack ram on offer :)

Soldato
Yes, if you're primarily a gamer and the itch is getting too great then I would opt for a 8700k/8600K. Though the 2700x/2600x seems the better long term option.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for feedback. The itch is definitely getting worse.

I game at 1440p and have done for years now, my 780 classy was amazing and has done me proud.

I think its going to have to be a 2700x build. Fast enough for gaming and wont have the performance hit when streaming either.

Associate
Similar situation to me really, fancied an upgrade, Xeon sometimes felt its age on Pube-g when hot dropping. Average FPS really high, however those 1% lows can be a killer. Last two systems have both been Intel, but had Athlons back in the day and they were brilliant. Decided to go for the 2700x, 8 pack 3200mhz and MSI Pro Carbon board (which is still showing no signs of stock sadly...). Machine is primarily gaming, but I usually have a VMWare running for work as well as things like Orchestration Designer open in the background lunching RAM and CPU, so while the 9600k was tempting from a gaming perspective, the lack of threads and reduction of cores seemed silly for the marginal uplift in gaming performance. My view is that whatever AMD I buy, will do everything far quicker than my current rig, so voted with my wallet. Had the 9900k been around £400-450 (which to me would be reasonable if not a little pricey still compared to the relative performance against the 2700x I paid £285 for) then I'd have probably gone for one, but at these prices, no thanks, I don't need that 13% extra that badly!

Associate
I upgraded from a 2600k to the 2700x about a month ago. Can't say I've noticed all that much difference, day to day use is generally the same, and I don't play with FPS counters either, and I game at 1080p with 144Hz monitor, and everything looks and feels smooth. However it felt pretty smooth anyway with a 2600k. This really is a testament to the 2600k being such a good processor.

I just had the itch bad and wanted a newer platform, but it was very much a want not a need. Also, there were a few fringe cases where my 2600k was struggling a little bit, not in gaming really, but when running a webcam chat in discord whilst gaming, that would max my old CPU - or if people connected to my plex server and transcoded things whilst I was in a game. I also play they are billions sometimes, and when the hordes got quite large, I'd noticed it struggled a little too. Interestingly I've not done any of that since my upgrade, so time will tell if it was worth doing for those cases or not.

Associate
I upgraded from a 2600k to the 2700x about a month ago. Can't say I've noticed all that much difference, day to day use is generally the same, and I don't play with FPS counters either, and I game at 1080p with 144Hz monitor, and everything looks and feels smooth. However it felt pretty smooth anyway with a 2600k. This really is a testament to the 2600k being such a good processor.

I just had the itch bad and wanted a newer platform, but it was very much a want not a need. Also, there were a few fringe cases where my 2600k was struggling a little bit, not in gaming really, but when running a webcam chat in discord whilst gaming, that would max my old CPU - or if people connected to my plex server and transcoded things whilst I was in a game. I also play they are billions sometimes, and when the hordes got quite large, I'd noticed it struggled a little too. Interestingly I've not done any of that since my upgrade, so time will tell if it was worth doing for those cases or not.
Really ? I'm glad I decided with the 8700k in the end. Surely you'd think a relatively new technology would outperform a CPU from 2011 and make everything silky smooth.
What is your setup if I may ask ?

Associate
Really ? I'm glad I decided with the 8700k in the end. Surely you'd think a relatively new technology would outperform a CPU from 2011 and make everything silky smooth.
What is your setup if I may ask ?

2700x with Asus ROG Crosshair VII, 32Gb 3200MHz DDR4, and a GTX1080. And no doubt it outperforms it, I'm sure benchmarks are better but I didn't run any before I upgraded to compare - what I'm saying is there was no perceivable difference day to day, and not really in gaming either. I did have my old 2600k overclocked to 4.5GHz though.

The most noticable upgrades I've done since I got the 2600k in 2011, was going from an HDD to an SDD, and upgrading my GPU to what it is now, though I had that same GPU for a while now.

Edit:

Ok, I do have one old benchmark - cpu-z

2600k:

Single-Thread
Multi-Thread (8T)

2700x:

Single-Thread
Multi-Thread(16T)

So I guess mostly I'm bound by single thread stuff in which case there's very little difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom