27" iMac vs Custom Build 9600K System?

Soldato
I've got a video in the works showing the performance of the 2018 Mac Mini - I'll link it up when done. It's properly impressive tbh. It's been flat out all running some lab stuff and it's not that far off the performance of my iMac Pro tbh!

Graphics performance looks a bit pants though. Comparative benchmarks in the post here.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
The i7 does look like it will be a very good CPU.

Here is my basket currently with education pricing. Without it would be £2,157. So a saving of £163.

It's very close to iMac 5k price. I'm tempted to just sit tight and see if Apple do a refresh early next year on the iMac.

uYzbz1Z.png

You can pick up a Ultrafine 4k refurb on eBay for £380, but since I'm such a perfectionist I need to have a) warranty b) decent service should I want to return it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The i7 does look like it will be a very good CPU.

Here is my basket currently with education pricing. Without it would be £2,157. So a saving of £163.

It's very close to iMac 5k price. I'm tempted to just sit tight and see if Apple do a refresh early next year on the iMac.

That's the same spec I've been looking at, and I have read that the performance is pretty close to the iMac Pro's (minus the GPU performance).

Soldato
Here's a random idea.

Assuming ur mac mini is defo not going anywhere....it's a full time desktop system.

Say like me your not bothered about the working functional part of the pc not being aesthetically pleasing (my pc is tucked away out of sight....just the monitor etc on my desk so it's neat and tidy)

Will the mac mini boot without its case on? Then bolt on a beefy cooler or aio cooler to it? Obviously ud need to leave the fan plugged in but if it's in a cupboard or something anyway you'd not hear it and it would run on its lowest rpm anyway .... And just run any cooling fans off USB adapters - again id have a plethora of dongles and adaptors turning the 4 usbc ports into tens of USB 3....display ports and what not.....again all hidden away so you'd not see or know.

You'd end up with a clean functional design and desk, running a proper mac mini who's maxed out load temps would probably be 60c or less.....and easy access to wack in 64gb ram! :D

Sort yourself a egpu and I reckon it would be a fairly beastly system that wouldn't throttle and end up Out performing an imac pro, in most editing bits n bobs....not export obviously but it would be way more silent than a fully maxed imac pro at 100% cpu.

I'd also consider putting the parts in an empty classic mac pro tower if I wanted a clean look......literally bolt the mini in there and keep all the dongles in there also and just have clean cables coming out the back.....that would be a sweet mod but using genuine apple parts.....wonder if the egpu would also be able to fit in....fun idea here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom