Could a new case help quieten coil whine?

Associate
I got unlucky with my new Vega 64 Red Devil and the coil whine is driving me up the wall.

Since there's apparently no way to ensure that any replacement card won't also suffer the same problem, I'm looking for another solution.

Would a noise-dampened case help? If so, I'd be grateful for any suggestions on which one to buy!

The case would need to take an ATX motherboard and a Corsair H100i GTX 240mm radiator, and ideally needs a 5.25" external drive bay for my Blu-ray drive.

Thanks!

Soldato
I'd highly recommend the Be Quiet cases and the noise dampening will certainly help with the front panel closed. Personally I'd still rma the card.

Associate
OP
I'd highly recommend the Be Quiet cases and the noise dampening will certainly help with the front panel closed. Personally I'd still rma the card.

RMA wasn't an option unfortunately, the whine wasn't considered bad enough. I'd hoped I'd be able to tolerate it or it'd lessen over time, but no luck.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Associate
If it's completely insane coil whine then look at RMA, you might get something a bit better.

Edit: Oh you just posted RMA isn't an option, but my following "reverse" experience of a case swap might help your decision.

When I owned a 7970 it had moderate coil whine and my case was an ancient globalwin 802, it had a solid side and solid front (mostly) with a plastic cover panel. I then moved to a corsair 540, which has a flimsy window, and mesh and massive openings on every side... I didn't actually realise the 7970 had coil whine until I moved to this case ;P. The other thing I did was move my case from under my desk onto a table at the side of my desk, so that may have made matters worse too.

So I'd say yes, you can dampen it with a case, but I'd be looking at something fully enclosed, no window, with foam these days. I don't get the impression that cases these days are built as sturdy as the beige boxes of old :p.

Edit 2: I think fractal make dampened as standard cases also, and wasn't there quite a cheap but very well featured antec case recently too?

Associate
OP
In case anyone's interested, I just transplanted my PC into a BeQuiet Silent Base 801 (the solid side panel version) and it's made very little difference to how audible the whine from the Vega is.

Nice case though!

Soldato
In case anyone's interested, I just transplanted my PC into a BeQuiet Silent Base 801 (the solid side panel version) and it's made very little difference to how audible the whine from the Vega is.

Nice case though!
If it’s loud enough to be audible from inside a noise dampened case then it’s certainly a candidate for rma. Can you make a video/audio recording and post it up?

Back
Top Bottom