Dynasties - BBC Earth

Soldato
so this is just 4k but no hdr?
yes it's HLG , so depends on the tv/iplayer implementation.

unfortunately think it shares some qualities with its namesake - who is Joan Collins ?

I don't need or want anthropomorpished/highly-edited sequences , the photography is excellent but the format tired ...dumbing down like a soap opera.
Something more educational, maybe with input from animal behaviouralist would be preferable

Associate
yes it's HLG , so depends on the tv/iplayer implementation.

Strange. My TV didn't pick up a HLG signal at all so all settings stayed as SDR. Unlike the two test videos that get picked up as HLG fine and settings adjust accordingly.

Guess I'll have to manually force it in my TV settings when I watch the next episode.

TV is a Sony 55XE90.

Last edited:
Caporegime
How badly beaten/hurt do the chimps get?

I think I have compensated for becoming slightly desensitised with humans getting mauled in action films/TV, with been overly sensitive watching nature documentaries :p:o.

Associate
Strange. My TV didn't pick up a HLG signal at all so all settings stayed as SDR. Unlike the two test videos that get picked up as HLG fine and settings adjust accordingly.

Guess I'll have to manually force it in my TV settings when I watch the next episode.

TV is a Sony 55XE90.

Same issue here with an LG OLED. Test loops trigger HDR flag but not when streaming this programme. I wonder if engineers at BBC have uploaded a non HDR copy incorrectly. We will see what happens with the second instalment tonight.

Associate
Same issue here with an LG OLED. Test loops trigger HDR flag but not when streaming this programme. I wonder if engineers at BBC have uploaded a non HDR copy incorrectly. We will see what happens with the second instalment tonight.

In all honesty I think it'll be our TV's or the app. I forced HDR and watched it a second time. It looked genuine from what I can tell and not like I was forcing HDR adjustments on an SDR image.

Associate
In all honesty I think it'll be our TV's or the app. I forced HDR and watched it a second time. It looked genuine from what I can tell and not like I was forcing HDR adjustments on an SDR image.

I have just tried it again with the HDR effect turned on and like you spotted the picture is perfect. Too be honest I was rather disappointed with the picture quality the first time I watched it, so maybe it is in HDR after all and the set is not activating like it should. I still think it is odd that every other HDR source, Netflix, Youtube and even iPlayer's test loop turns on the HDR as it should and flags it up accordingly, so I still wonder if this video is missing the code that activates HDR. You may be right that it could be our TV's or the app but the same problem from two different manufacturers would make that seem unlikely.

Associate
I have just tried it again with the HDR effect turned on and like you spotted the picture is perfect. Too be honest I was rather disappointed with the picture quality the first time I watched it, so maybe it is in HDR after all and the set is not activating like it should. I still think it is odd that every other HDR source, Netflix, Youtube and even iPlayer's test loop turns on the HDR as it should and flags it up accordingly, so I still wonder if this video is missing the code that activates HDR. You may be right that it could be our TV's or the app but the same problem from two different manufacturers would make that seem unlikely.

Is your TV recently verified as being able to playback 4k HDR? Or has been for a while? After a lot of fuss mine was a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if the app or the TV needs a firmware update just to confirm things.

Soldato
Still surprised by how well they can make you feel sad whilst watching this especially the ravine part :(

Props to the film crew for managing to go out nearly everyday for 8 months in those conditions.

Associate
Is your TV recently verified as being able to playback 4k HDR? Or has been for a while? After a lot of fuss mine was a couple of weeks ago and I'm wondering if the app or the TV needs a firmware update just to confirm things.

My TV is the latest 2018 LG Oled C8 with the latest software and listed on the iPlayer website under the UHD/HDR compatible models. However it seems according to various forums many other LG and Sony owners are experiencing this problem. So my theory was wrong and Bliss you were right, the problem appears to be with the app. It seems the older and less specified LG Oled's work OK but not the newer models suggesting the app needs tweaking to get it to play programmes in HDR as well as the iPlayer test loops. Probably the same with the SONY. Lets hope it's sorted soon.

Associate
My TV is the latest 2018 LG Oled C8 with the latest software and listed on the iPlayer website under the UHD/HDR compatible models. However it seems according to various forums many other LG and Sony owners are experiencing this problem. So my theory was wrong and Bliss you were right, the problem appears to be with the app. It seems the older and less specified LG Oled's work OK but not the newer models suggesting the app needs tweaking to get it to play programmes in HDR as well as the iPlayer test loops. Probably the same with the SONY. Lets hope it's sorted soon.

Have the same issues with no HDR flag in episode 2?

It's annoying having to manually change settings but better than not having HDR at all I guess.

Associate
Yup, same problem here with a 2018 Sony XF90. Dynasties doesn't switch the TV into HDR mode automatically, although I can manually set it to HLG and it looks great.
The beta test video plays just fine though and switches to HDR *shrug*

Associate

I contacted both the BBC and LG over this issue and have just had a reply from LG saying they are aware of the problem and are working with the BBC to provide an update to iPlayer. It may be the same for SONY owners but its worth contacted your manufacturer and the BBC just in case

Associate
I tried to watch some of this last night but the iplayer app on my tv now wants a password emailing somewhere which curtailed me whilst looking after an unruly infant. Hopefully tonight...

Back
Top Bottom