i5 760 upgrade time?

Associate
Currently running a i5 760 overclocked to 4ghz
8gb Ram
1050 ti with 4gb
Asus 1080p @ 60hz

Wondering what of the above is screaming to be upgraded.

Up until now I have tended to alternate what gets upgraded (core set up followed by gfx card cycle). I got the mobo gpu and ram from here as part of of an OC bundle around 2013. Got a new monitor and card a year back.

No problems until now its served me well. Everything I play I have no issues with. BF5 is on the way and I'm hovering over min specs. Thinking at least 16gb no preference on CPU manufacturer but Ryzen seems to be winning the bang for buck from what Ive read.

With that in mind would love to hear some recommendations.

whats bottle necking what at the moment ?
can I get away with mobo ram and cpu only upgrade or will the 1050 be holding back any upgrade?
Ideally I would be looking to step up to higher refresh rates next year get a new card and monitor then.
Type of guy who likes to go bang for the buck mid upper-mid range.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

Associate
OP
what's your budget mate? i stepped up from an i5 750 to a ryzen 5 1600 about a year back and nearly fainted at the performance increase.

Thanks for getting back. I figured its been that long that I would see quite a bump with an upgrade :)

for the bones of the machine (mobo, ram, cpu) about £600
Will never spend more than £200-230 on a GFX
PSU and case all set. Although one day I would love a case with proper cable management. Mines such a mess (old antec 900 with a 3yr old but v quiet 650w psu)

Can a mod move this thread to the other section please https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/

Soldato
Thanks for getting back. I figured its been that long that I would see quite a bump with an upgrade :)

for the bones of the machine (mobo, ram, cpu) about £600
Will never spend more than £200-230 on a GFX
PSU and case all set. Although one day I would love a case with proper cable management. Mines such a mess (old antec 900 with a 3yr old but v quiet 650w psu)

Can a mod move this thread to the other section please https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forums/new-to-pc-gaming-upgrade-advice.172/

Went from i7 860 4ghz to i5 7600k at 5.2ghZ and had gains of 15fps+ on differing cards and resolutions

At 1080p, intel will still net you the best performance , down to IPC and clock speed , but they are costly

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £581.21 (includes shipping: £12.30)​

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions. Tempting just to click and grab it all now :)

So from what I gather the i5 8600K is more or less topish of the tree for the mid range i5 line. Nails the sweet spot for price performance.

In that case how does it stack up to the top of line ryzen 7 2700x proc?? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-3ac-am.html

Which would be more future proof? Looking for the next bones bundle to be comfortable for the next 4-5 years again.
Oh and would any such upgrade make the 1050 ti still viable for the next year?

Thanks again

Soldato
Depends how ypu define future proof. Both will be replaced next year and year after, either more cores or faster speed. Haha
I7 4 core 8 threads have lasted 7 odd years, that's down to brute strength with speed and developers being g lazy with thread coding ..
Intel will have the edge in gaming till AMD can match clock speed , which should be achievable, but also IPC , which should in theory be achievable .
Since your gaming at 1080p, would either do intel or 6 core ryzen personally to keep costs down

The i5 8400 use to be a damn good price with b360 board but not happening with intel shortages

As always GPU gains most increases but new games like BF will limit the effect/gains with current CPU

Associate
OP
Future proof meaning I wont have to touch it for 5 years. Is more cores going to be a factor in the coming years or nah?

I'm looking to go a higher res display and 100+hz refresh rate + card on the next refresh cycle next year. Does the I5 still win out? If so its settled.

Appreciate the advice.

Soldato
Future proof meaning I wont have to touch it for 5 years. Is more cores going to be a factor in the coming years or nah?

I'm looking to go a higher res display and 100+hz refresh rate + card on the next refresh cycle next year. Does the I5 still win out? If so its settled.

Appreciate the advice.

if your going to push 1440p res then intel loses its lead due to being based more on GPU performance , normally still holds 5-10% advantage. but again depend on how well games are coded, if your playing ARMA - no matter what res your still running heavily on CPU and single core speed performance .

games and engines more importantly should support better coding for more threads. still the best game that supports this is Lost Planet 2/3 and then Ashes of Singularity which pretty much was a game built for benching....

Associate
OP
Orbital your reply set me on a journey!

Last time I spent £600 on my bare bones and its lasted me all this time 2013. Only upped gfx, monitors and drives in between.
So I'm starting to think on my upgrading strategy. Because I tend to buy decent and run it into the ground I tend to spend a bit and wait it out till it needs to happen ie my rig becomes game spec minimums. Do this with cars too. If I can squeeze a doulbe upgrade into 600 (bones and card) now then I could go again in 2-3years or card next time rig lags behind then mid range bones year after. tldr little and often

Common strat I came across is 30-50% of rig fund should be card. So got me thinking would it even be possible to eek out £200 of that 600 for a card that could go 1440p when I up screen next year? Seems like Im asking for a lot for the money but it looks doable. 1050 4gb is alright for now but time is ticking on it.

a lot of the benches I've seen have largely been GPU limited anyway. So a mid range Ryzen 5 or low end Ryzen 7 build for £400 could see me also get an 8gb 580 card. Or even go used 1070ti in that wheel house. b350 mobo

tldr Question is which Ryzen is the right play.
r5 2600 vs 2600x - depending on prices around black friday I've been advised only go 2600x if its £20-30 more than the 2600. If its more go 2600

r7 1700 vs 1700x vs 1800 How do these stack up to the above 2600 on cost perforamnce. What price difference between each model makes it worth it??

Soldato
Naturally intel well eek the most performance out of any card , specially 1080p .
Ryzen is great for super budgets or going 1440p/4k were £100-200 can make the difference in pushing GPU/FPS horse power

To do 1440p you'll need gtx 1070 or Vega 54 - which has the cheaper sync screens .

Going new, would wouldn't be able to do that in your budget as they are £350+ cards .second hand you might .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £540.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

If your PSU isn't a good quality 650w then would need to upgrade, cheapest good unit here is Formula 650w .

Would allow you to run current i5 a little longer

If you don't this way, run DX12 if you can, regardless is reviews say it's worse... They have been done on 3rd gen and above. DX12 is amazing for first Gen I cores !!!!

Soldato
you could go to a 2500k/2600 and have a big increase in performance so on that note even and i3 or a pentium 2c4t will be an upgrade, obviously to play BF5 you might be better off with a ryzen even a 1200 could be useful and all ryzen chips overclock if you need a boost.

Associate
OP
appreciate the input guys.

So at this stage it's safe to say the CPU is holding me back? I'm toying with the idea of getting a vega 56 to replace the 1050 ti but think a CPU bundle is more pressing.

Associate
Yeah - especially if you are gaming.

I ran an i7 870 for a long time. Knew i was going to upgrade and was waiting for Coffeelake - i'd even managed to sell my RX480 for a crazy price to a bitcoin miner and buy a 1080ti.

Then going from the i7 870 to the 8700k was honestly like when I wore glasses for the first time - so much smoother ingame.

If you are wanting a cheap upgrade, you could get an older gen intel pretty cheap, or go for Ryzen. If you are still on 1080p60fps you will probably be better served getting a CPU bundle rather than a new GPU.

Back
Top Bottom