Samsung 860 Evo SSD latest firmware?

Associate
OP
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
It installs and works but does not recognise the 860 Evo correctly so isn't much use really. I contacted Samsung and they suggested numerous things to get it to recognise the SSD but nothing worked. Fortunately I installed Magician on an older system and when I connect the SSD to that system it recognises OK. I was hoping not to have to take the SSD out of this PC just to check if I have the latest firmware.

Soldato
You can check what firmware it's using through device manager.

Located your device in the device manager go to the details tab and one of the drop downs might contain the firmware version.

At least that's what's visible for my Crucial SSD.

When I turn it on I'll have a closer loo to see which drop down it is.

Soldato
I've just read that it should be under Hardware IDs in details but I don't see anything like the firmware version on the Evo 860. Won't this only tell me the version I have currently anyway? I need to know if it's the latest version.

Maybe Samsung doesn't show it there. On my crucial I could see the firmware.

You need to figure out why the magician software doesn't recognise your SSD.

Have you tried a clean install of windows?

Associate
OP
Somewhere, in a field in cheshire... alright!
I found the email from Samsung when I asked them for help. They said:

Please be informed that the model ID of your SSD is not correctly displayed.
Please refer to the display below:
- Correct model ID : Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
- Wrong model ID : SSD 850 EVO 250G (This is how it's identified on my system)

The Suggested:

Please attempt the following solutions:
1. update IRST/Asmedia/Marvell driver to latest version
2. uninstall IRST/Asmedia/Marvell driver and use MS windows standard driver
3. Mount SSD on other SATA port if possible
4. After changing SATA model from IDE to AHCI and re-install OS again, Mount SSD at other port.

Associate
Had the same problem Samsung Magician would show "samsung ssd 860 evo 250gb this drive is not supported." I have this SSD installed in a HP 8300 Tower with 2 500 gig hard drives in a RAID 1 mirror, so I thought it was because I had RAID enabled on the motherboard that it "didn't support" the drive. I tried switching over to AHCI using the following method:

Some systems will have the Windows operating system installed using RAID drivers including the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. SSD drives typically perform better using AHCI drivers. There is in fact a way to switch operation from either IDE / RAID to AHCI within Windows 10 without having to reinstall. Here are the steps:

1. Click the Start Button and type cmd
  2. Right-click the result and select Run as administrator
  3. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal (ALT: bcdedit /set safeboot minimal)
  4. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup
  5. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID
  6. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  7. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  8. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot (ALT: bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot)
  9. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.
I still got the same message in AHCI. So I left the problem alone for awhile and today (Dec 7 2018) I opened magician again and clicked on the "I" to see if there was a newer version. I had version 5.3.0 installed, but the software found and installed a newer version. After rebooting, it immediately recognized my drive and I was able to update to the newest (rvt02b6q) firmware. The weird thing is that the software still shows up as version 5.3.0. You might try "updating" magician because it fixed the firmware update issue for me. Now it shows my drive supported but it still only benchmarks about half the speed I should be getting. I'm assuming that's because I'm in RAID mode and not AHCI. Otherwise, so far I can't find any information on what the firmware changes or fixes.

Associate
I'm running the standard 2.5" SATA version of the 860 EVO 1TB and just used Samsung Magician to update to the latest firmware.
For me, it's shown as RVT02B6Q (updated from RVT01B6Q), so I'm guessing the M.2 models have a different firmware?

I can't find any patch notes for the release, which is annoying. Your forum post and one other German forum post seem to be the only related results.

I never normally update unless I know exactly what it entails (and what sort of errors other people have hit) but I kind of "accidentally" updated it this time - clicked the 'Ok' button in the hope it would give me the patch notes as preamble before confirming a second time, but nope - it just went ahead and immediately applied the update.

Back
Top Bottom