Problems with new build, black screen then no response.

Soldato
I built a new PC recently.

The only thing I took over from my previous build was my SSD.

Things have generally been going well, but a few times will playing Totalwar, my screen will suddenly loose it's signal. It's happened about 5 times so far, twice, eveything keep working at the screen came back after 5 seconds. The other times, I can hear stuff running but I can't do anything, discord seems to stop working since I can't hear or talk to anyone, and the picture never comes back. Also the fans start going absolutely ape****. In the end I need to reset the machine.

I've not done much tweaking since I built the machine. I've enabled XMP in the BIOS and once I started getting trouble, I updated the graphics card BIOS and lowered the volatge to 900mV.

Any idea on what could be causing the problem?

Associate
To me it sounds like it could be a driver issue, perhaps the driver is crashing and loading again. If this is the case then you will see it in the event logs, so check these just after you experience the problems.

Soldato
Raise the graphics card voltage back up to spec, it may be that you need more volts to keep it stable. If that works by all means lower it again, little be little, if you want to lower temps.

Soldato
I recently changed my GPU to an ASUS Strix Vega64 OC, was having similar issues, after a lot of tinkering what I had to do was in Global wattman settings, raise the power limit to 25%, drop P6 voltage to 1080, drop P7 voltage to 1150, memory voltage to 1080, and I set fans to 1800rpm min and 2600 max, the fans do constantly run, but they are silent but it runs nice and cool now and don't have a problem anymore, before those adjustments the fans were not coming on until it hit 65oC, it was stupid hot, especially the backplate and I just generally thought that was crazy when it had a max temp set between 75-85oC.

Id say 900 is way too low, did you test that voltage ? if you download GPU-z it has a little test built into it, I couldn't get my P7 voltage any lower than 1130 and even then it would sometimes play up a little which is why I decided to raise it to 1150, I know every GPU is different, but not by that much.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To me it sounds like it could be a driver issue, perhaps the driver is crashing and loading again. If this is the case then you will see it in the event logs, so check these just after you experience the problems.

This is my 1st time using radeon software in a long time.
I *think* I've installed the beta drivers, 18.11.1
Is there a way to uninstall and put on the tried and tested drivers?

Soldato
OP
Well, had a fun hour.

Last night I uninstalled my radeon drivers and put on the normal drivers, rather then the optional/beta. Machine was fine for the rest of the night, GPU fan seemed to be running a little louder, but no problems.
Was working fine today, then I thought I would install Dark Souls 1 with the DSfix, worked fine for about an hour then I got a blue screen error, believe it was driver_irql. Didn't think much of it, just put it down to bad DSfix settings.
Reset the machine and tried Tomb Raider, got a blue screen within 2 minutes, reset machine, got another blue screen within a minute, doing nothing on the desktop. This happened several times.
Thought screw this and went into save mode to uninstall the radeon drivers, but the uninstaller did nothing, it just sat there, I increased the screen resolution while this was going on and I got another blue screen. Long story short, I got several blue screens in safe mode.

By now I've had enough and I just want to wipe the machine and reinstall Windows, I insert my USB installer and as soon as it tries to load Windows, I get more blue screens!
Last thing I do is go into the BIOS and do a factory reset, now everything works and I'm able to install Windows, which is where I am at the moment.

The only thing I ever changed in the BIOS was turn on XMP.

Back
Top Bottom