LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Associate
i wish they underclocked it to 120............

can yall 950g users post results on oc'ing to 120 ?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_34gk950g.htm#refresh_rate

I wouldn't be worried. The same gsync module is used in many monitors and the module has no issues running at 120Hz. The limiting factor on other displays was a lower native refresh rate, but that isn't an issue here so I doubt you will see any problems going from 100-120Hz.

Small sample size yes, but the data/technology backs up this conclusion so I'd be shocked to see reports of issues.

Associate
Oh, the difference between extended and basic is the range. I don't have the monitor connected right now but I believe Extended gave me a range of 50-144 and Basic was 120-144. For my use Basic is virtually useless.

I don't have a colorimeter handy but did you check that the same color profiles are loaded ? On macOS I noticed that going in FreeSync Extended reset the color profile selection to one of the generic profiles, instead of the default '34GK950F' one. Must not properly recognize the monitor when the FreeSync option is on, this may be limited to macOS though.

Additionally you could try leaving it in Basic mode and use CRU to try and edit the FreeSync range. No idea if that will work but I've modified the range on other monitors before.

Associate
I don't have a colorimeter handy but did you check that the same color profiles are loaded ? On macOS I noticed that going in FreeSync Extended reset the color profile selection to one of the generic profiles, instead of the default '34GK950F' one. Must not properly recognize the monitor when the FreeSync option is on, this may be limited to macOS though.

Additionally you could try leaving it in Basic mode and use CRU to try and edit the FreeSync range. No idea if that will work but I've modified the range on other monitors before.
Yeah, I noticed that happening during my testing as well. Changing the Freesync setting or built-in profile causes the monitor to show up and unknown and drop the ICC profile. You can force the profile to load again or reboot and it will be fine. Even so, that wouldn't have much impact here since the monitor without any ICC profile is close to 100% sRGB using the sRGB preset, not the 75% I'm seeing.

Thanks for the CRU suggestion. I plan to run some more tests in a few to see what's possible.

Associate
Where did you see the basic mode listed as only 120-144hz? I’m sure it was more than that, if not the full range
In Adrenalin under the display tab. There's a Freesync switch there and if you hover over it it will show you the range. Let me get the monitor set up again and try to capture it.

One thing that should bother people about the Freesync gamut issue is the HDR setting. While the monitor isn't true HDR, running Freesync Extended with HDR enabled effectly gives you sRGB colors instead of Native which would be pretty close to full coverage on DCI-P3.

Associate
It's a native 144hz pannel. You literally cannot break the Gsync version as it's technically downclocked. Been running mine at 120hz for the past week now. It's absolutely perfect. As someone else mentioned i would be shocked if someone could not run this monitor at 120hz. Would even bet money on it.

68axtEb.jpg.png

Associate
i wish they underclocked it to 120............

can yall 950g users post results on oc'ing to 120 ?

Yes, I'll echo what others have said, I was running mine at 120 without a single hiccup. I'm not worried and there's no reason to run it 120 in games and 100 out of games. Besides, when you switch between overclock ON/OFF it reboots the entire monitor, which, in my multi monitor setup, is a pain in the a** because I have to reconfigure the setup when that happens. So too much of a chore to switch overclock on and off.

Anyways, the pictures with mirrored sRGB displayed I promised will be delayed for a while... They are out of stock at B&H so they cannot replace the 950G I shipped back (it had a yellow tint at the top center right of the panel which was bugging me).
Hopefully, LG ships them another batch of 950G's.

I think my buddy said it best when he stated:
"if, which I do not for a moment believe, this monitor was unavailable or unobtainable, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to deliver the replacement display, in all its glory due."

Soldato
Interesting that you had a problem with a yellow tint, is this similar to the X34p, where the right side is warmer (yellow) and the left side is normal?

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting that you had a problem with a yellow tint, is this similar to the X34p, where the right side is warmer (yellow) and the left side is normal?

From my understanding (never owned the AW) it is not the same. This was a 5 x 5 cm of yellow tint in the top right center of the monitor. One of you silly monkeys on here told me to put up a white background and check for homogeneity. Well, once I did that and found it, I couldn’t stop looking at it. It bothered me all the time. I ran a screen uniformity test using DisplayCal and got like a delta C of 8 or something crazy in that one spot, confirming my visual impression. So I had to return it. I couldn’t stop seeing it. I blame you all. Lol

But no it wasn’t one side, it was one particular “cell” or area.

Associate
From my understanding (never owned the AW) it is not the same. This was a 5 x 5 cm of yellow tint in the top right center of the monitor. One of you silly monkeys on here told me to put up a white background and check for homogeneity. Well, once I did that and found it, I couldn’t stop looking at it. It bothered me all the time. I ran a screen uniformity test using DisplayCal and got like a delta C of 8 or something crazy in that one spot, confirming my visual impression. So I had to return it. I couldn’t stop seeing it. I blame you all. Lol

But no it wasn’t one side, it was one particular “cell” or area.
Yea , U should leave that forum now :D , as U keep returning until U get eizo color edge lol . It was noticeable during gaming ?

Associate
Yea , U should leave that forum now :D , as U keep returning until U get eizo color edge lol . It was noticeable during gaming ?

Heh. No, not noticeable during gaming. Honestly it was only noticeable on pure white backgrounds... which means that it was only noticeable when I was using the web browser, since it was right on top of the address bar.. but unfortunately I do use the web browser a lot so it was very noticeable. And considering how much I paid for the monitor, there’s no way I was prepared to accept that.

Associate
Heh. No, not noticeable during gaming. Honestly it was only noticeable on pure white backgrounds... which means that it was only noticeable when I was using the web browser, since it was right on top of the address bar.. but unfortunately I do use the web browser a lot so it was very noticeable. And considering how much I paid for the monitor, there’s no way I was prepared to accept that.
Yea , U right is not cheap monitor. I have ezio fs2333 and panel uniformity is perfect but that is 23" screen . I do not expect that on 34" but again it mey vary from panel to panel . Good luck whith panel lottery , I start my nxt week as long UK stock arrive :D

Back
Top Bottom