Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Pro tip: A drop of the Skinny Syrups from TK-Maxx makes for much better flavouring than the flavour shots you get from Huel themselves.

Had some S'mores syrup in my morning shake and it was delish!
I'm enjoying the new vanilla and berry as they are.

Associate
Sorry if already been covered, but what is the difference between huel shakes and just drinking say whey protein shakes as meal replacements for example?

Caporegime
May sound like a stupid question as i am not an expert on nutrition hence why i am asking.. why can't you live of protein? it's a source of food? people go on no carb diets for example.
Because your body has essential needs for protein, fats, vitamins and minerals to function correctly, standard protein shakes are not complete in that sense, whereas Huel kinda is.

Soldato
May sound like a stupid question as i am not an expert on nutrition hence why i am asking.. why can't you live of protein? it's a source of food? people go on no carb diets for example.

You could live off protein shakes for a while but you'd end up with vitamin/mineral deficiencies and you'd not be getting any essential fatty acids (EFAs) etc. Low carb diets aren't fat-free ones so they get EFAs although there hasn't been any long-term studies on the impact of ones where people eschew fiber. You can survive without carbs but it's a bit like walking up a hill vs using a car, especially when it comes to performance.

Associate
One week later...

Still have no issues with taste/consistency; breakfast and lunch were rarely ever exciting meals so replacing with a shake that probably helps a more balanced intake.

Had some issues with horrible headaches the first few days, but they could have been work related - no issues recently.

No digestive issues at all.

My wee was sometimes really yellow (neon?) but this is apparently down to riboflavin, and was an entirely different colour of yellow to the one you get when dehydrated.

No noticeable impact on effects of alcohol on me (an important scientific test).

Not keen on the bags only lasting a week, as this means I have to frequently re-order, also the fine dusting of huel that I tend to create when ever I make a shake suggested my technique may need some work - but minor quibbles overall.

Couldn't say that it had massive positive impacts on my health, or gave me more energy, etc - but imagine that my body is still adapting.

Soldato
Just placed another order via my wife so i can get the £10 off, plus my next order gets £10 off.
Wonder if there is a limit to how many times you can do it.

Berry so far is my favourite, but i want to try the original vanilla next see how it compares to the new vanilla.

Man of Honour
If the old vanilla is anything like the new one then Berry is streets ahead of it.

I’ve just started on berry after two months of vanilla and it’s way more tasty (less than 14 hours from order to delivery!!)

Soldato
I find it plenty filling, I certainly don't feel hungry after having some.
Im only having 1.5 scoops for breakfast and the same for dinner.

Soldato
Good to know.

I generally bring lunch to work with me (leftovers/sandwich etc) but for days i'm feeling lazy i'm wondering about whether to have a bag on hand rather that going buying a meal deal somewhere.

My wife has it as she has issues with Gluten/Dairy which rules out a lot of quick and easy food so it's handy for her to have. Might bring a bag of hers to work.

Caporegime
Good to know.

I generally bring lunch to work with me (leftovers/sandwich etc) but for days i'm feeling lazy i'm wondering about whether to have a bag on hand rather that going buying a meal deal somewhere.

My wife has it as she has issues with Gluten/Dairy which rules out a lot of quick and easy food so it's handy for her to have. Might bring a bag of hers to work.

Works for me, I have a sealable bag in my work drawer with a bunch, along with a shaker. Better than hitting the vending machine for a chocolate when I am peckish.

Back
Top Bottom