Poll: Brazilian Prix 2018, São Paulo - Race 20/21

Rate the 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Transmission breaker
Don
I still think that overtaking the race leader for a short time as a lapped car means you have to be super clean, and it's an at risk manoeuvre when not racing for position.
Yes, Max could have not fought it, and would have been wise to do so, making any complaints through team radio initially and official channels after the race to the FIA, petitioning for changes if needed..
The FIA, however, have to be seen to put a line through this, and set a precedent to protect the lead drivers in a race from "reckless" backmarkers. As Hamilton pointed out, those drivers often have little to lose and are more likely to risk their race.
Whilst there may be peculiarities to this particular situation with Max's aggressive defensive style (which is a whole other can of worms), you have to see why the FIA took this stance to protect the show.

I actually believe if it wasn’t for them unlapping and they were on the same lap it would have been viewed as a racing incident!

Agreed, as said above, but I actually think Max would have been much more careful and defensive had it been for position. It is likely that it would never have happened in my opinion. He assumed (wrongly!) that his position as race leader was going to protect him in that situation, and cause other drivers to think twice about fighting hard.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having the different tyre compounds was meant to mix up the racing so sometimes a slow car is faster than a fast car... People complain that cars aren't pushing 100% but then expect Ocon to just tuck in behind Max and compromise his own race... The fact that Max was race leader is neither here nor there and does not stop this being a racing incident which it clearly was. I'm pretty sure many years ago there was a situation where Vettel was leading a race and Hamilton was able to unlap himself as he was faster at the time... Guess what? Vettel didn't attempt to fight or defend and let him by ultra carefully.

If that’s the one I’m thinking of - I think it was Hockenheim - I don’t think it played out quite like that. Vettel went mental on the radio!

Edit - a bit of both https://youtu.be/xrK3Kzhz26U

Caporegime
Agreed, as said above, but I actually think Max would have been much more careful and defensive had it been for position. It is likely that it would never have happened in my opinion. He assumed (wrongly!) that his position as race leader was going to protect him in that situation, and cause other drivers to think twice about fighting hard.

Max has plenty of form for hitting other drivers when they're overtaking. There was nothing surprising about this.

Caporegime
Frankly, I’m not sure why they threw the book at Ocon when he was trying to unlap himself. I put the blame on Max for being a twonk when he easily could have left Ocon past and won the race.

The stewards seem to penalize drivers based on outcome rather than actions, look at all of the collisions Vettel has caused this season and because he came off worst they just dismiss them as racing incidents.

Like I said originally too many drivers seem to think that as long as they stick rigidly to the racing line any collision that happens because of it isn't their fault, the racing line isn't some magical section of track that gives you immunity to causing collisions, it's simply the fastest route should using it not cause a collision. I don't get why professional F1 drivers don't grasp that. You could argue that Occon was slowing Max down by making him go off the line but Max had already gone off the line at turn 1 and I still think Max was largely to blame for the actual collision. If Occon is slowing Max down unreasonably then the stewards will penalize him but it's not okay for Max to run Occon off the track just because he has been lapped.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Having the different tyre compounds was meant to mix up the racing so sometimes a slow car is faster than a fast car...

Everyone thinks this is just a modern 'Pirelli era' thing, but it happened before then. Anyone else remember Takuma Sato in the Super Aguri catching and passing Alonso in the McLaren at Montreal in 2007 (Hamilton's first win) primarily due to the fact that Taku was on soft Bridgestones (with the white grooves) and Alonso was on a hard stint towards the end of the race?

Back
Top Bottom