What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
To continue the sequel theme... John Wick 2.

Thought it was a little better than the first, but still just as repetitive. Near the beginning it had a bit of a Bond feel, which was promising, but then it just continued like the original. It needed a bit more variety e.g. a non-fighting set piece or two, such as a car chase, and more slow paced scenes with meaningful dialogue. I do find the John Wick world interesting and will check out the third film next year when it's out.

6/10

Caporegime
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - 7/10

I enjoyed it, but only as a standalone dinosaur film. It certainly shouldn't be part of the Jurassic Park franchise, same with the first Jurassic World.

Jurassic Park always seemed so realistic to me, which made it almost scary. These new films have just gone completely over the top with lots of Marvel-esque CGI, cringey humour thrown in, etc. I can't really take it seriously. It's like comparing Saving Private Ryan with The Expendables.

Associate
They Shall not grow old. Stunning and heart wrenching. It really removes the distance you feel when watching old back and white scratchy film.

Saw this on BBC2 and thought it was brilliant, when it transitions from B&W to colour it is just jaw dropping, really brings it all to life. I don't know if they used lip-readers but the added dialogue was well done too. Nice one Peter Jackson.

Soldato
To continue the sequel theme... John Wick 2.

Thought it was a little better than the first, but still just as repetitive. Near the beginning it had a bit of a Bond feel, which was promising, but then it just continued like the original. It needed a bit more variety e.g. a non-fighting set piece or two, such as a car chase, and more slow paced scenes with meaningful dialogue. I do find the John Wick world interesting and will check out the third film next year when it's out.

6/10

I've yet to watch either of them , got them both on Bluray though

Associate
Widows.

Big fan of Steve McQueen, but I think this is his weakest film. He really excels when he has one central performer with a few supporting characters, but this film, while being excellent performance-wise, plot-wise and character-wise, it felt like a bit too much crammed in. It probably could have benefited from another 20-30 odd minutes to flesh out the other characters outside of Veronica a bit more. Obvious comparison would be to Heat, but Heat is far far better. It's still worth a watch though.

7.5/10

Permabanned
Widows.

Big fan of Steve McQueen, but I think this is his weakest film. He really excels when he has one central performer with a few supporting characters, but this film, while being excellent performance-wise, plot-wise and character-wise, it felt like a bit too much crammed in. It probably could have benefited from another 20-30 odd minutes to flesh out the other characters outside of Veronica a bit more. Obvious comparison would be to Heat, but Heat is far far better. It's still worth a watch though.

7.5/10

Aye, heard as much from a few friends who saw it yesterday. He's a masterful Director but even form the trailer alone this flick looked a touch too... what's the word, 'mainstream' for him?

Regardless, still don't think he'll ever beat 'Hunger'. First time I saw that film I felt like taking the week off. Superb in every regard.

Soldato
Mile 22 - 6/10 - Fast paced thriller with little plot other than a twist which can seen a mile off once a single person is introduced. It keep my brain happy for the most part and I enjoyed the first half of the film a lot, probably an 8/10, but it really suffered badly after the "team" entered the apartment complex where it became a pastiche of The Raid with some awful editing added and dropped to a 3-4/10 at best. The twist ending (which you'd already guessed) wasn't effective at all leaving the whole ending a little flat which was a shame. Also, the "debrief after the action" by a survivor meant that you never thought they were in danger no matter what, ruining some of the tension.

Equaliser 2 - 5/10 -
Denzel's first sequel deserved a much better screenplay than this. The actors generally did a good job but once the revenge for a friend story kicked in the story quality dropped through the floor leading to what I can only describe as a lethal version of Home Alone. The best bit for me were the opening two scenes (Turkey and Taxi) and the story around the apartment block so I'd have rather watched more of that stuff than the very generic "Denzel vs hitmen" story that it became.

Soldato
Watched all the Resident Evil animated films. Damnation and Degeneration were ok, but Vendetta was awful. It was like they saw how popular super hero movies are right now, so they turned Resident Evil into one. They even had a total Bane ripoff as an enemy.

Are there any other animated CGI movies similar to Resident Evil worth checking out?

Associate
Watched all the Resident Evil animated films. Damnation and Degeneration were ok, but Vendetta was awful. It was like they saw how popular super hero movies are right now, so they turned Resident Evil into one. They even had a total Bane ripoff as an enemy.

Are there any other animated CGI movies similar to Resident Evil worth checking out?

Prob not in the same league but only real cgi movies I've watched. I rememeber watching these back in my 1.5 cs days. No idea why it popped in my head and took a while to actually find them. 12 3-4 min episodes

http://www.siddan.net/en/?id=202:ninjai-the-little-ninja-en-gb

Soldato
Idiocracy, based on a comment from another poster in another thread. 2/10
I'm surprised I made it to the end. Maya looked awfully tacky in it. Infact I felt tacky watching it. Yeah. Tacky.

Caporegime
Widows.

7.5/10

I felt that it was too long, saw it today and it is 2hrs 20mins without trailers and I left the second the credits started rolling.

I agree it is his weakest film though, I will forget this this time tomorrow.

Soldato
The new Fantastic Beasts: Crimes of Grindelwald ... 5/10 almost gave it 4/10 but the actors are good. Longest, dullest pre-movie to the next.

VoG

VoG

Soldato
Incredibles 2.

Visually stunning which is what you'd expect from Pixar but from a story perspective I found it some what underwhelming, it just didn't hit the mark & didn't have the charm of the original.

6.5/10

Soldato
Idiocracy, based on a comment from another poster in another thread. 2/10
I'm surprised I made it to the end. Maya looked awfully tacky in it. Infact I felt tacky watching it. Yeah. Tacky.

Could well have been my comment! :D

I probably should have mentioned that it helps if you don't take your brain with you on that particular journey! :p:p

2 out of 10 is a bit harsh tho imo - for me it's one of those films that is so bad, its good!

Back
Top Bottom