LED projector worth it?

Soldato
I'd like to get a projector. Budget under £500. Really like the idea of an LED projector due to lower power consumption (under 50W compared with over 200W), less heat, less fan noise etc. but the output seems a lot less, typically under 1000lm compared with over 2000lm. How much of an issue is that?

Any solid model recommendations, non-LED under £300, LED around £500?

Man of Honour
£300 isn't a worthwhile budget for a lamped home cinema or gaming projector, so the £200 premium for the LED tech' still leaves you with a core of £300 for the basic projector tech'.

Man of Honour
I have to say I'm still using a 720p Optoma HD70 and it still looks stunning - starting to think of upgrading now there is more content that is something closer to high def but I really don't notice the resolution like I do on a monitor or TV. Albeit I've almost always run it in eco mode with high altitude on but despite my paranoia about bulb life I've actually rolled over the counter on it more than once and it is still going strong since 2006! last few years it has taken longer to get upto brightness but no other issues or dimness when running.

So far my experience with cheaper LED projectors hasn't been inspiring though - the ones that I'm happy with cost a lot more than £500 :s

Soldato
Im using a BenQ W1210ST DLP 1080p gaming projector. Awesome quality on a 90 inch screen for both gaming and movies. I will never look back. You get what you pay for in the projector world. The benq was £700+ which is still cheap for a decent projector.
If your looking at under £300 then you aren't going to get much quality.

Soldato
OP
Been playing around with an Optoma EP716R today, it's old, only 800x600 and uses 240W... I'll stick with this for a while, work out what I care about.

Soldato
Been looking for a projector as well, wondering on the Optoma HD143X, also not wanting to spend a huge amount as this is just sticking the toe back into the AV arena. May only be used a couple of times a month. Screen will be about 1.7m in width.

Soldato
I ended up buying an Epson EH-TW5650, as it was only one that does verticle and horizontally Keystone correction for off centre placement for a sensible price. Have to say it’s nice little projector, will do until 4K becomes the norm and common place etc. Using a lot more often than expected.

Back
Top Bottom