Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Great day out.. serious FP50+ day too, the fancy FP50 top and buff worked well.

3 tope, 4 mackerel and one mother of all runs shark bite but the hook didn't set. TLD25 didn't have it's drag set right (skipper's) so line was being stripped at max drag.

Tope on a 20lb rod is fun :) However the teeth mark on the hook is good 10/0 Circle hook.

36811958_10156634856414244_5514372081145348096_n.jpg
36811459_10156634856764244_7150621923611770880_n.jpg

Soldato
good stuff, how big do you think that one was aout 19lb-20lb??

I'm really bad with fish weight :D If I can lift it then it's not big :)

First tope as a species, the 20lb rod seemed capable of handling but then it was backed up with the Talica on reel duties, so regardless of rod I had the option of pointing down and simply winching in low gear @40lb drag :eek: (assuming not hurting fish).

It's the first time I have used the £20 bargain bin 20lb uglystik excel boat rod with the Talica and I think I may use it like that again.. it's smooth as.

Been looking at travel rods for
holidays :) I'll book a charter one day but will take a travel rod for some morning/dusk simple fishing as the beach is about 20m across the road :D

Associate
Finally got out fishing last week. We where targeting Porbeagle sharks south of Portland.

The morning was awful, we picked up one Tope on the bottom, and nothing on the shark lines. Skip decided to move further west, near some banks. Within 5 minutes we hooked the first of 7 Porbeagles. No real big ones, they where all in the 50-80lbs range, but these are seriously powerful fish, they are really stocky, like mini great whites, they pull you all over the boat. One of the fish was hooked as we lowered the bait into the water so was just sitting under the boat. All the fish were safely released at the side of the boat.

I have anoter trip booked on Sunday, drifting for Turbolt

Soldato
Back now in blighty.. but this was my fishing venue recently (Madeira - south of the island) :D

zBavnN_zmSNOQgByTkqxUVIJHrSUUTAdzfYWsav59eh_Kmx5cR_UfjUrYYyLwbZZSCUiqJBle_AMQ2vGbFu8ufoRpmiSA1CIEAOA=w1200-h800-no

And another gratuitous picture..

xxElEWq-Oq6D0QKWbXMzanloMyUupHEc6zQHzsUQRqBnwwgQIkc5cJDvC2rNC6e-dKZahDyp_ZOqh3TBjx5nkQMNqNCY7T0FkkXI=w5184-h3456-no

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Finally got out fishing last week. We where targeting Porbeagle sharks south of Portland.

The morning was awful, we picked up one Tope on the bottom, and nothing on the shark lines. Skip decided to move further west, near some banks. Within 5 minutes we hooked the first of 7 Porbeagles. No real big ones, they where all in the 50-80lbs range, but these are seriously powerful fish, they are really stocky, like mini great whites, they pull you all over the boat. One of the fish was hooked as we lowered the bait into the water so was just sitting under the boat. All the fish were safely released at the side of the boat.

I have anoter trip booked on Sunday, drifting for Turbolt

thats awesome neil, thats proper boat fishing ;)

@NickK nice pics mate, i bet you cast out into some deep water there :o

Associate
I’ve been wanting to take it up for a while now so I’ve finally went and bought a few things got myself a fly rod, reels etc is there anyone in my area (Inverurie) could point out a good place to start at? I have been looking and there are a few options I have there is a local loch (Lochter) where I will be going once I’m home for a practice for a while then I’ll need to decide where to get a permit for I take it?
I’ve bought pre loaded reels float,sink,int. and they have the Chinese finger on the end for the leader...I’ve googled knots will any do? What’s people’s preference?
And for the lines is it seasonal? Or dependant on what your fishing? Be trout fishing at the loch down the road to start with. Any advice will be a help. Also if there’s a dedicated fly thread someone could point it out as I can’t seem to see

Soldato
yes it is very useful

I used to flyfish with my dad as a kid on large reservoirs and fisheries. Learning how to cope with the immediate casting and tackle setup to get started is great, then comes guiding/club - where you'll learn more techniques about your area and the time of year for which fish.

For all fishing inland (ie above sea high water mark.. but everything just accepts 'beach') the government requires a licence. There is also a licence specifically for salmon IIRC too so be careful where you fish!

Man of Honour
RIP John Wilson :(

Mr Wilson, who was born in 1943 and spent much of his life in Lenwade near Norwich, Norfolk passed away on at 4.30am on Tuesday 13 November 2018 following a stroke.

U1WJm4L.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to getting out again.. been a while in the U.K. but did manage a sneaky dawn sesh with the father in law in France before Xmas. Took the travel rod and had Whiting :)

Been eyeing up a fathom 15 lever drag for a small 60-120g vertical jogging rod I got - will save my little 20-50g spinning rod that gets abused. However need to get out first! Work and everything has been a busy distraction..

Back
Top Bottom