Blocking a number my end on iPhone

Soldato
Hi

I noticed my phone bill had a £10 charge outside of my plan this month, and it was a call I made from my phone apparently, which I know I didn't.

It was 6 calls one after the other for about 5secs each, to the USA.

I have no idea how this has happened as I have made no such call.

I know how to block incoming numbers, is it possible to block a number from dialling from my iphone.

Very strange.

Soldato
Assuming this wasn’t in your recent calls list and you are reading this from your bill it was more than likely a billing mistake, contact the provider. It happens more often that they will be willing to admit, call them and tell them it wasn’t you and you are not paying them.

Soldato
OP
Assuming this wasn’t in your recent calls list and you are reading this from your bill it was more than likely a billing mistake, contact the provider. It happens more often that they will be willing to admit, call them and tell them it wasn’t you and you are not paying them.

It was in my recent call list which is very bizarre, I have blocked the number. I have never called it and no one else has access to my phone.

It's got me stumped.

I have managed to get the charge refunded via text chat online as over the phone they passed it onto some billing department who would phone back within 3 days.

I have searched online and found that there are these scams about that leave a voicemail and somehow you get charged for these when not even answering the call, maybe it's a similar thing, just makes no sense.

**Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it to correct area**

Soldato
It was in my recent call list which is very bizarre, I have blocked the number. I have never called it and no one else has access to my phone.

It's got me stumped.

I have managed to get the charge refunded via text chat online as over the phone they passed it onto some billing department who would phone back within 3 days.

I have searched online and found that there are these scams about that leave a voicemail and somehow you get charged for these when not even answering the call, maybe it's a similar thing, just makes no sense.

**Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, mods feel free to move it to correct area**

Have you searched the number online to see who it is or if other people have reported it? Was it called at a time that makes any sense (eg when you were awake etc.) Most providers will allow you to block premium and/or international numbers, but given how iOS handles requests to make an outbound call from anything other than the phone app, it would require specific user interaction on a non jailbroken device.

Soldato
OP
Have you searched the number online to see who it is or if other people have reported it? Was it called at a time that makes any sense (eg when you were awake etc.) Most providers will allow you to block premium and/or international numbers, but given how iOS handles requests to make an outbound call from anything other than the phone app, it would require specific user interaction on a non jailbroken device.

Hi

Yes did a search but no info on the number came up, it was at a time of day I was awake. I will just keep a check on my call history from now on, it's certainly got me stumped.

Associate
I'm with Three and you can block from a network level your phone doing anything that would cost you. Came unstuck when I tried to call 101 once and it wouldn't let me but prevents accidental chargeable numbers etc

Associate
I had something similar and VF were pretty useless as according to them anything that originated from the handset is not their responsibility. Believe me I took them the ombudsman.

I had to wipe and reinstall my handset apps to resolve. Apple can pull limited logs however if it’s an app they will also deny liability.

Tough one.

Associate
got a couple of calls from far off places (siberia,easter island, china) they hang up when answered and i made the mistake of calling back once, think it cost me £20 just to connect as it was unobtainable, three could only suggest changing my number when they started to get more frequent, block 1 number then get a call from the next number in sequence

Back
Top Bottom