• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 GHZ upgrade

Associate
Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade my 7970 GHZ card and seem to of got it set between a rx580 or a vega 56. I'm gaming at 1080p with a 2600k oced to 4.6. Is it worth spending the extra on the vega 56? or should i just go with the rx580?

Soldato
honestly if you dont have the 3 games that come with the vega54 or are willing to sell them, you would be crazy to buy that over the rx580 even though most would say rx580 will suffice for 1080p, that's correct right now it does but if you play on keeping the card for a few years its better bet to go Vega54, it has a better chance of lasting longer and also allows you a resolution upgrade if you ever require it.

Associate
OP
honestly if you dont have the 3 games that come with the vega54 or are willing to sell them, you would be crazy to buy that over the rx580 even though most would say rx580 will suffice for 1080p, that's correct right now it does but if you play on keeping the card for a few years its better bet to go Vega54, it has a better chance of lasting longer and also allows you a resolution upgrade if you ever require it.

I was thinking i would sell the games that come with the vega 56 tbh, this was my thinking that it should last abit longer then slap in a zen 2 at some point next year :)

Man of Honour
Buy for what you need now. If that's the 580, then get the 580. "Future proofing" is a mug's game, and you won't be able to sell the games for anything near their alleged value. Justifying the Vega purchase because it'll last longer is madness, it won't last 50% longer than the 580 that it needs to to justify the increase in cost.

Soldato
I was thinking i would sell the games that come with the vega 56 tbh, this was my thinking that it should last abit longer then slap in a zen 2 at some point next year :)
Definitely what I would do. That 56 is the best deal I have seen in quite some time and I'm sure you'd be very happy with one. A college pal of mine just got his today he says he's loving it and that's coming from a gtx1060 :)

Soldato
Buy for what you need now. If that's the 580, then get the 580. "Future proofing" is a mug's game, and you won't be able to sell the games for anything near their alleged value. Justifying the Vega purchase because it'll last longer is madness, it won't last 50% longer than the 580 that it needs to to justify the increase in cost.

I have to disagree, lets say he keeps his card for same amount of time as his current card which is almost 6 years. I agree by them both the RX580 and VEGA 54 would be slow by then but VEGA54 and its overclocking potential together with the game make the card much better buy, not to mention overclocked he can gain over 30% performance over RX580 which don't overclock anything. You cannot deny its has a better chance of ageing well than a rx580. That extra performance will show in a few years time that can go from making a game running at 25 frames unplayable or 35 frames playable.

He can sell those games for £60 thats a given. That would make the VEGA54 only at £240 overall which is a bargain for the performance, which approaches 1070ti.

Heck slap a extreme water cooling unit on it and BIOS mode with overclock on the GPU and Memory and you are approaching RTX2070 OC performance, yes of course not many are willing for such crazy mods but the potential is there.

Soldato
He can sell those games for £60 thats a given. That would make the VEGA54 only at £240 overall which is a bargain for the performance, which approaches 1070ti.
Already helped my mate get his 56 up by 15% just buy upping the power limit and HBM with a 1% oc on the core. It's as far as he's willing to take it right now, which is fair enough, though I assured him it can go much further :D

Man of Honour
I'm not denying the performance is higher, or that it'd age better. What I'm denying is that buying with keeping a card for a long time in mind is throwing money away. The £100 saved by buying the midrange 580 means the next equivalent GPU purchase is already half saved for. The fact that the games are sellable is a silly point too, as the same deal is available with a 580 purchase, albeit only 2/3 games. A 580 is 2/3 of the price of the Vega too, so the games value:card cost is the same.

The mistake here is buying higher end GPUs when you don't need their performance then holding on to them until they are considered low range. It is the ultimate reverse bang:buck strategy, you pay over the odds for performance you don't need when you first acquire the card, then have almost no resale value when it comes to moving on, all the while you could have spent half the money on an upgrade cycle half as long,and enjoyed a higher average performance over the same period.

Back
Top Bottom