Bohemian Rhapsody

Man of Honour
as often happens nowadays when an actor portrays the life of a real living person... but still people complained about how things really happened and how realistic everything wasn't.

That's a bit different to Freddie playing Bohemian Rhapsody before they had made the first album or in 1980 Brian May writing We Will Rock You when it had already been a hit in 1977 :)

What's the Runaways film called, I still have all their albums and trying to get my new band to do Cherry Bomb?

Man of Honour
DUDE......... SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

What, the one with Kristen Stewart?

Have a guess..................... just a wild guess..... Don't think too much about it.... just close your eyes, Luke. Let go of your conscious self... and act on instinct. :p

Cherry Bomb it is then :)

I was only watching clips of it the other day when I was looking for a Cherry Bomb song link and thought "Wow they made that look like the original" :)
I forgot all about it.

And it is now my next thing to watch :)
Even though I bought their albums in the 70s I don't know a lot about them so they can say anything they like in the film and I won't have a clue.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Absolutely not, I just bought their albums and that's my point.

Make a film about early Van Halen and I'll be all over it.
Read the book "Running with the Devil" by Noel Monk (their manager in the DLR years) this week. Awesome.

Man of Honour
Historical inaccuracies aside, it was a great watch and a moving underdog story... I was quite touched. Definitely worth watching.

Looking at some criticism, I’m not really sure what would have been more warts and all anyway. Freddie was clearly promiscuous, gay, got HIV and took drugs... but that is only part of his story and an emphasis on any of those things far beyond what was shown would have been unnecessary.

Caporegime
one of my SJW friends on Facebook posted some article about how the movie is problematic for LGBTQI... people. My eyes glazed over when reading it but they had an issue with him being portrayed as gay rather than bi as it reinforces the narrative that sexuality doesn't exist on a spectrum and how all the good guys were his straight friends whereas the "queer" friends were mostly evil etc.. They really didn't like some gay leather bar scene and the trope of linking AIDS to gay promiscuity etc..etc..

I don't think movie producers can win these days, no matter how they try to handle a topic like sexuality there will always be some triggered SJW type dishing out some faux outrage over how "problematic" it all is.

Associate
Watched this for the first time last night and I really enjoyed it. Queen's music has always been very personal for me - The first music I ever had a sustained interest in and introduced to me by my father, who adored them. It was their music that accompanied me and my dad on countless journeys across Europe and the UK following F1 and
every level of motorsport. There was always a Queen song for every moment in life and it was Queen's music that played for my dad at his funeral - who wants to live forever.

I was never interested in the backstory of Queen, it was their music that always peaked my interest, that said I did know the backstory. I can fully understand some peoples annoyance at the historical inaccuracies, nonetheless, I thought the film was great, even with its faults. Rami Malek played an impossible part really well and was suitably impressed with him.

Soldato
Well I saw it last night. I was impressed and equally unimpressed. A great performance on Freddie and the Live Aid performance was impressive.

But my god the dates are a complete joke - it is all over the place. You have songs written 5 years out. People meeting 5 years out. And a multitude of other stuff that was chronologically wrong - apparently We will rock you was written in 1980 and fat bottom girls performed somewhere near 1972 wtf? :confused:
It seems that Live Aid could have happened 1985 +/- 5 years. Really? It kinda spoilt it for me.

This is the thing with biopics the more you know the facts the more you find yourself thinking "thats not right at all! Thats complete and utter ********!". The further you are from the material the more you'll enjoy it probably. That being said I can enjoy the cinematography etc whilst rejecting the story completely. So ah, yeah mixed feelings about biopics in general.

I know not a lot about Queen though so I'll probably enjoy this.

Soldato
Saw it last night.

Loved it - first proper 12" album I bought myself was Queens Greatest Hits and "it's a kind of magic" etc - Loved Rami Malek - superb acting - really impressive to take on such a massive historical figure and get it so right.

Caporegime
Went to what must've been one of the last screenings last night and so glad we did. This film was absolutely amazing. I've never been a Queen fan (due to lack of exposure, not disliking their music) so it was a fantastic experience to me. The fact that it was done so respectfully easily overrules the inaccuracies.

If there's ever been a film to show how far up their own arses critics are, this is it.

Soldato
Went to what must've been one of the last screenings last night and so glad we did. This film was absolutely amazing. I've never been a Queen fan (due to lack of exposure, not disliking their music) so it was a fantastic experience to me. The fact that it was done so respectfully easily overrules the inaccuracies.

If there's ever been a film to show how far up their own arses critics are, this is it.

:)

Man of Honour
Best Actor (Motion Picture, Drama) and Best Picture (Drama) for Bohemian Rhapsody at the Golden Globes last night.

And loads of people are saying that it was wrong to win because Bryan Singer was involved with it...

Back
Top Bottom