Shell petrol stations.

Man of Honour
I guess it depends on what and how much you drive, 20l is enough to move my honda jazz for 2 weeks.

Not really.

The more you put in the less you need to visit the fuel station. It's that simple. I therefore want the biggest tank possible and always brim it.

Caporegime
When I did my Speed Awareness Course, strangely the only think I remember from that was the speaker said was along the lines of "just fill your car to half way, no point carrying that extra weight, thus wasting fuel".

Also, I guess it depends how far is the state away from your house or go out of the way to fill up, if its on route then it makes sense to carry less weight.

Caporegime
How much extra fuel do you think it takes to carry an extra 30 litres of liquid?

I am sure there is a formula for that, but don't ask me, ask the guy from the speed awareness course.

You can't deny the logic though, more weight = more effort needed.

I go to Sainsburys to do my shopping, a couple times a week, so the only extra distance i need to take is taking a right turn instead of right on the exit, about 10 or so meters. I am not really making extra trips to fill up the car or burning fuel to get to the station more often. I am just carrying less weight around, which I would think, all adds up.

You know what, you have said this before and when that guy said that on the course, YOUR NAME popped into my head.

Soldato
Your really telling us that’s a serious consideration?

I’ve tested the theory of running around with a full tank and a near empty one, the disadvantage of the latter is having to know your within range of a fuel stop pretty much all the time, with a full tank (despite it being 85litre capacity) I can’t honestly say I’ve noticed a detrimental effect on fuel consumption at all its there certainly but it’s negligible to say the least.

Putting in £20 at a time doesn't mean I'm always running on empty. Plus loads of 24 hour petrol stations with walking distance round here. People talking of putting in £100 at a time how dry does a tank need to be to take £100 of fuel. :eek:

Anyway these are all silly and mundane excuses to run around topping up hundreds and brimming your tanks.

The most dangerous thing about not always having a full tank is the impending, potentially catastrophic socioeconomic collapse and the chaos it will bring.

Soldato
My standard family hatch takes over £70 from empty. Anything like a Land Cruiser hasn't been able fill up in one go for awhile as most pumps stops at £99, you have to go pay and come back to start filling again.

Soldato
Putting in £20 at a time doesn't mean I'm always running on empty. Plus loads of 24 hour petrol stations with walking distance round here. People talking of putting in £100 at a time how dry does a tank need to be to take £100 of fuel. :eek:

Anyway these are all silly and mundane excuses to run around topping up hundreds and brimming your tanks.

The most dangerous thing about not always having a full tank is the impending, potentially catastrophic socioeconomic collapse and the chaos it will bring.

:confused: Not even sure where to begin with this.

Caporegime
1litre of fuel weighs 750g. So we aren’t talking huge amounts of weight despite what a speed awareness guy says (lol)

I find it hugely inconvenient so always max it. The M3 only does 250 miles to a tank anyway.

I’d be more worried about missing those 5x nectar offers with min 30litre fills, oh and putting crappy supermarket fuel in

Soldato
Fact remains though even Planes only fly with what they need for the journey. They don't keep them brimmed to the max.

Lugging 40-60 kg of extra fuel over 100,000 miles is going to add up.

Caporegime
1litre of fuel weighs 750g. So we aren’t talking huge amounts of weight despite what a speed awareness guy says (lol)

I find it hugely inconvenient so always max it. The M3 only does 250 miles to a tank anyway.

I’d be more worried about missing those 5x nectar offers with min 30litre fills, oh and putting crappy supermarket fuel in

The Supermarket Fuel vs Shell is a WHOLE OTHER thread onto itself, which we've done many times.

As for distance....Shell Station is this far away from Sainsbury's...it's hardly out of the way when i am going that way. I can's speak FOR YOU, but FOR ME, as I said, I go there like once or twice a week anyway, I don't need to brim it, and there are times when half a tank can last me a couple of weeks or more.

0XTpgF3.png

Back
Top Bottom