Outdoor GU10 bulbs

Associate
Hi all

I have outdoor / IP rated light fittings in my soffits as well as wall lamps. I tend to find that the LED bulbs start to fail after not very prolonged usage, eg 3 months. I’ve tried the “LAP” brand from Screwfix as well as “NXTGEN” from an online retailer.

I’d imagine it has something to do with the ever varying temperature rather than water ingress etc as the enclosures are IP rated and not subject to much rain contact.

Are there any recommendations for a reliable outdoor LED GU10 bulb?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
GU10 bulbs are terrible, they fail very easily in my experience.

Change them for LED ones instead. Massively lower wattage, and massively more reliable.

We had a fitting in our kitchen which used 6 GU10's. When we were on 'normal' bulbs, it was a rare month when we didn't have to replace one. Changed to LED bulbs, and never had to replace another in the ~2 years until we moved house.

Soldato
That's odd, I've got 28 lap GU10 outside at the moment. They've been in a year and used almost every day.. I've not had one fail yet.

Soldato
Would you mind linking me to your gu10 enclousures please OP. I've been after some good ones for yonks.
Whilst our front outdoor light is a gu10 unit, it will only take the tiny gu10 lamps, and not the hue ones. If I could find a good one, I can use the hue system to set a timer on it.

Thanks!

I've got 10 GU10 Leds outside in black metal enclosures and all going strong, now 2.5 years in. They are only daily as they are on a timer/light level sensor, so about 12 hours in the winter and 6 in the summer

If they are repeatedly failing I would be more inclined to consider if the supply is the issue.
Its always possible its a bad batch.
Screwfix do some really cheap now, I am sure I saw a pack of 50 for £50 but may have been me not paying attention.

Soldato
I've got a load of Aurora Enlite gu10s outside. They have been on every day since February and working fine so far.

I like the Enlites as they have a wider beam angle than most.

Associate
OP
Would you mind linking me to your gu10 enclousures please OP. I've been after some good ones for yonks.
Whilst our front outdoor light is a gu10 unit, it will only take the tiny gu10 lamps, and not the hue ones. If I could find a good one, I can use the hue system to set a timer on it.

Thanks!

Here’s the enclosures I use in the soffits, IP65 rated. I don’t have Hue bulbs to check for you though I’m afraid

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Li.../Enlite+IP65+Fire+Rated+GU10+Downlight/p85582

Associate
OP
Guessing I’ve just been unlucky.

Will buy a new batch and replace in December at the same time as putting the Christmas lights up. Will report back next year :D

Back
Top Bottom