Do we have a Black Friday 2018 Deals thread

Caporegime
The hub will work on it's own via a smartphone / PC app (which you will have to use to set it up anyway) and can be fully controlled that way, if you have Alexa or a google home it will also work via voice right down to changing channels on the google home after a recent update. However I would go for the remote as it makes it easier.

Some other things if you get the remote, it's fully compatible with Nest, Smartthings and hue and allows adjustment of these other products through the remotes touchscreen.
Thanks. I have hue and nest with google home. My current Logitech buttons are getting tired (harmony 555 many years old) and seems to always need help to get activities working.

Soldato
Thanks. I have hue and nest with google home. My current Logitech buttons are getting tired (harmony 555 many years old) and seems to always need help to get activities working.

I haven't had any issues so far with mine, one button to adjust Hue lights, turn up the heating a little and turn on the Tv, sky and the receiver I have also added a smart plug to my sub and added that to it via smart things as the built in sense at low volumes on the sub didn't work very well.

I had a look at the prices and noticed the ultimate with Hub is just under £90 well worth it. The elite is not worth the extra as essentially they are the same remotes.

Soldato
Good spot on harmony. Do I need the hub or hub and remote for £70 more.

I wouldn't have it without the hub. The hub is covered in IR blasters which means you don't need to rely on the remote having line of sight. My AV gear is all under the stairs along with the hub, so the remote works all my stuff which is in another room out the way. But even in the same room the hub is very much worth it.

Soldato
Yeah, it switches to IR.

It’s probably not that difficult to steal (1 tiny screw in the bottom) but you’d record them doing it. Edit - maybe it’s 2 screws

I’ve got a ring pro and I’d go for the Nest Hello instead for the 24/7 recording. The Ring only allows you to watch a clip that it creates when it detects motion.

A probably stupid question about the RING pro. When someone does press the button (or it detects movement) does it flash up the video immediately on your phone? Not a notification and then you have to load up the app? Also, looking at the video, it piggy-backs on the existing chime inside the house, so I guess it doesn't change what your doorbell sounds like?

Caporegime
I haven't had any issues so far with mine, one button to adjust Hue lights, turn up the heating a little and turn on the Tv, sky and the receiver I have also added a smart plug to my sub and added that to it via smart things as the built in sense at low volumes on the sub didn't work very well.

I had a look at the prices and noticed the ultimate with Hub is just under £90 well worth it. The elite is not worth the extra as essentially they are the same remotes.
Assume the harmony works with google home ? Seems to only mention Alexa and Apple home on what I’ve read ?

So the ultimate can do the lighting setups etc. Again reading it seems the elite has extra buttons for lights but makes out u need elite for lights/heating etc

Soldato
Assume the harmony works with google home ? Seems to only mention Alexa and Apple home on what I’ve read ?
It does. They recently introduced native support whereas you can just say "Hey/OK Google turn on the TV" (for example) rather than having to say "Hey Google ask Harmony to turn on the TV". Since then it's worked brilliantly for me. Never gets boring being able to walk downstairs and get doing breakfast/whatever and asking the Home to get the music going etc. Or heading out of the house and just shouting "Hey Google turn everything off" :)

You know you can say Hey Google as well right? :p I never say OK Google.

I have a Mini and really like it. As above though it's forever a toy to tinker with. However they recently introduced support for Harmony which means I can do everything via that. (Hey Google turn on the TV/stereo/Apple TV/Fire TV etc) which is brilliant. Coming downstairs to say Hey Google play 6 music works every single time. Or play radio 2 on the stereo casts it to my stereo amplifier.

Soldato

So the ultimate can do the lighting setups etc. Again reading it seems the elite has extra buttons for lights but makes out u need elite for lights/heating etc

Yep the Ultimate does it all, the elite does have extra buttons on the unit for the lights however you can assign the colored buttons on the Ultimate to do the same thing even assigning length of press I believe for different scenes. I don't bother with that though as there is a menu on the ultimate that lets you select scenes, turn on and off the lights along with brightness the same menu has my nest temp which again can be adjusted and smart plugs.

It really is an "all in one place device" and goes way beyond a simple tv remote.

Last edited:
Soldato
A probably stupid question about the RING pro. When someone does press the button (or it detects movement) does it flash up the video immediately on your phone? Not a notification and then you have to load up the app? Also, looking at the video, it piggy-backs on the existing chime inside the house, so I guess it doesn't change what your doorbell sounds like?
On iOS it just flashes up a notification and makes an incredibly irritating noise. It's easy to miss, I miss it regularly. It uses the existing chime so that sounds the same, yeah. You can turn that off though which I do as it makes my dogs go mental.

Soldato
Sennheiser closed wireless headphones aren't on par with the Bose and Sony
They are cheaper though but yes I discounted them for that reason. They are a bit ugly too, that said the B&W PX look by far the best but again don’t sound as good.

I got the XM2 Sony’s in the end for £200, a silly price for what you get compared to QC35 and XM3.

Back
Top Bottom