• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
Good afternoon, I wonder if some of you would be so kind as to help me. I just received my Nitro+ Vega 64 this weekend. I put it in on Saturday and quickly ran a few things. GPU-Z was showing it was boosting to the advertised clock speeds of 1630Mhz when I used it's render test. Since then I've formatted the PC as I was using Windows 8.1 (with Windows 7 drivers) and AMD don't have up to date drivers for that OS. Now that I'm on Windows 10 it seems the card is not boosting past 1240Mhz. There is nothing on this PC at the moment other than the updated OS and drivers. I can't understand why it was boosting to 1630 in Windows 8.1 and now won't go past 1240 in Windows 10. I see there is a bios switch, but I have not touched that as I assumed if it was boosting to 1630 previously then it was on the more aggressive bios. If anyone has any advice or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
@gareth_s I am having a similar issue. Only tried one game so far but my clock speeds are fluctuating wildly, anywhere from 800mhz to 1550mhz. My power usage is also fluctuating wildly too, going from 85w to 250w in a matter of seconds. Fps in the game I have tested are worse than my old RX 480. I am on the latest drivers and this is a fresh install of windows, on a brand new build. I only have a couple to days to rma with OCUK, as I built the GPU a few weeks ago but only fitted it yesterday. I am getting kind of worried at this point.

Associate
@gareth_s I am having a similar issue. Only tried one game so far but my clock speeds are fluctuating wildly, anywhere from 800mhz to 1550mhz. My power usage is also fluctuating wildly too, going from 85w to 250w in a matter of seconds. Fps in the game I have tested are worse than my old RX 480. I am on the latest drivers and this is a fresh install of windows, on a brand new build. I only have a couple to days to rma with OCUK, as I built the GPU a few weeks ago but only fitted it yesterday. I am getting kind of worried at this point.
I'm not getting fluctuating clock speeds or power usage, it just seems to be boosting to a lower speed on Windows 10. It was quite happy to sit around 1615Mhz to 1630Mhz in the brief time I had it running Windows 8.1 so I assume it must be OS or driver related, but I can't for the life of me figure out the cause.

Caporegime
Can anyone can offer me some advice. My card should arrive today and I was wondering about the 2 x 8pin, my current card only uses one but the cable from the psu has two on it, is it sufficient to use the the one cable or should I plug another pcie cable in? the psu is a corsir HX750w if it helps. Cheers.

i would plug in another.

Yeah, 2x seperate cables be best :)

Soldato

Some games (like Elder Scrolls Online and SWG), mainly at 32bit, have such weird issue.
What you need to do is create a profile for that game on Wattman, go to Custom, and set the P7 state as the Minimum clock. (left click and select minimum)

The card will work at max speeds. You might see the power draw fluctuating to 184W, but is OK. Thats due to CPU bottleneck.

Soldato
Tried those, still high clocks on lock screen. I also tried a clean install of win 10 on a spare SSD - same issue. I guess its specific to my hardware? I'm surprised no one else can replicate it

Tried to replicate it with both card and failed :(
You said you going to install MSI AB and have GPUZ off, have you done so?

Just by any chance, you haven't activated the min/max speeds on the default profile yes?
If so the card will be running at max clocks even on desktop.

Last edited:
Associate
Same issue with afterburner installed, the high clocks are while its on the lock screen then it drops to normal as soon as I log back in. Also its both the GPU and HBM clocks that are high, not just HBM.

How do I activate min/max speeds on the default profile?

dcl5uUJ.png

Associate
Well pulled the trigger on the Nitro+ card!

IMG-20181120-183516-1.jpg

Associate
undervolt your cards ..less heat .. overclock the memory .. power setting +50%
very fast and easy to do ..
very happy with mine till I can get it on water ..

At the moment i'm running it at:
Core:
P6: 1537, 1000mv
P7: 1677, 1125mv
HBM:
1050, 950mv
Fans: Auto
Temperature: Auto
Power Limit: +50%

I'm happy with performance, will probably keep this as the "normal" clocks. It's somewhere in the middle ground of being cool, not too noisy (1200-1500rpm) and performance.

I've tried to go higher on the core clock but it requires more voltage (stays a steady 1630~ with this voltage), any lower and it backs off a bit more.

I might try 1100MHz HBM with 950mv but I think that would be pushing it.

According to GPU-z when you let it go to P0s it only sips 3 - 10 Watts of power, which if true is a huge power saving over my old GPU when not gaming, and maybe about on par while gaming (running 2x1080p TVs - need to find some nice new monitors now though).

------------

If you guys could recommend some nice monitors, that would be great. I looked in a store today, but they were pitting a 60Hz 1080p IPS (£150) vs a 4k TN (£240) both running the same resolution image though, and no 120/144Hz monitors in store.

The image they were using was very bland, so there was little to no perceivable difference between the two, even though the IPS should technically do better... Also the 4k TN was too high up, making the screen look a bit off, but it was actually still quite good. They also tried to sell me a £50+ HDMI cable :(.

Back
Top Bottom