Upgrading current M.2 drive worth it?

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it's worth upgrading my M.2 Drive that I've been using in my Asus X99 for a few years now, its the following:

'SM951 512GB M.2 PCI-e Gen3 8Gbps x 4 AHCI Solid State Drive'

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 9900k overclock bundle and was thinking of getting this:

'970 EVO Polaris 500GB M.2 2280 PCI-e 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive'

which seems a lot faster but as I'm only using the system for gaming it may not seem worth it in real world terms. I'd also use it as my windows drive but again i'm think boot times wont really be change that much if at all.

Should I just stick with what I got for now or upgrade it?

Cheers guys :)

Soldato
You might see a very small speed advantage moving from AHCI to NVME. But I honestly don't think you'll notice any difference during real usage. You would be also lose 12GB in capacity.

I would wait for prices to come down and buy a 1TB NVME drive when the time comes.

Associate
OP
Hi mate, thank you for you reply,

That makes perfect sense.. I wanted the 1TB in the first place but just couldn't justify the cost of one so yea ill keep what I got and wait for prices to fall.

Cheers buddy, helped a lot :)

Soldato
well theres 2 plus points if you did the change, 1. the small performance increase. 2. recent model likely have longer life.

i dont know if you can get them over here as i havent looked myself, but i saw a linus tech tip video yesterday with a TR4 build and he used a m.2 drive adapter in a ram slot and did raid, if thats something the x99 board can do then maybe add a new drive to your current one.

Associate
Just a heads up, there’s incredible one day deals on 500GB and 1TB 970 evo on the Rainforest today. I got the 1TB for 180 I think

Back
Top Bottom