Switching from Windows to Mac OS

Associate
I’m thinking of possibly moving from Windows to Mac OS. Probably by purchasing one of the 2018 Mac Mini’s. I primarily just use my current PC for web browsing. I’ve never used Mac OS, so I was just wondering what the pros/cons are compared to Windows?

Permabanned
MacBook Air defends itself very well and the OS developed by Apple is very pleasant to use. It's full of little details that will make the difference, such as the integration of iMessage or the fact that Apple offers a free office suite, when you have to buy Office from Microsoft. As always with Apple, the design is simply sublime and integration of the services of the manufacturer is perfect and the MacBook synchronizes with your iPhone or your iPad if you have one. This computer is powerful and the possibilities are ultimately the same as for a Windows PC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I've been a Mac user since the mid 90s. I enjoy using my Mac, my PC not so much. Windows 10 is by far the best Windows yet but it just lacks any character for me. I love my PC hardware but I only use it as a gaming machine. All my email, web browsing, watching movies, work stuff gets done on my MacBook Pro with my Acer Predator X34A as my second screen.

Soldato
Honestly there are no real pros or cons for a normal home user, it is purely preference.

Apple offers a tightly controlled eco system that is tightly integrated with its other products.

Why not get a MacBook Air rather than a mini, you can ‘dock’ it if you want to use it at a desk but you also have a portable laptop. Sure it’s not as powerful but you are only web browsing at the end of the day.

Associate
OP
Honestly there are no real pros or cons for a normal home user, it is purely preference.

Apple offers a tightly controlled eco system that is tightly integrated with its other products.

Why not get a MacBook Air rather than a mini, you can ‘dock’ it if you want to use it at a desk but you also have a portable laptop. Sure it’s not as powerful but you are only web browsing at the end of the day.
Tbh, I wouldn’t have any use for a MacBook Air. If I wanted to look at something on the go, I’d just use my iPhone.

I’ll probably wait and see if Apple does any Black Friday deals.

Man of Honour
Tbh, I wouldn’t have any use for a MacBook Air. If I wanted to look at something on the go, I’d just use my iPhone.

I’ll probably wait and see if Apple does any Black Friday deals.
Not going to happen. The only saving you'll get with Apple Warranty will be something from the refurbished store.

Soldato
I’m thinking of possibly moving from Windows to Mac OS. Probably by purchasing one of the 2018 Mac Mini’s. I primarily just use my current PC for web browsing. I’ve never used Mac OS, so I was just wondering what the pros/cons are compared to Windows?

Install Linux on your system. It has web browser built-in

Then give me £800 by saving you money

Soldato
iTunes gift cards are pretty standard as is 0% credit. Nothing worth bothing about though. I guess you could use it for an Apple Music sub.

Man of Honour
I use Windows and macOS daily. When I can, I use macOS.

Windows 10 does my nut in, things such as:
- horrible sounds
- notifications are annoying
- seeming no control over updates
- settings vs control panel. Make a decision
- default apps like candy crush being reinstalled
- no decent backup solution

There's loads more. Sure, the OS is nice, but I feel like I'm not in control. Unlike macOS where I can pretty much do what I want.

Caporegime
Problems with both platforms, I don't like how you don't have control over the hardware on Apple but really loathe Windows at times, there's no best of both worlds.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Check out CloudReady:
https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

Basically it turns any machine (desktop or laptop) into a ChromeOS device, and by golly Google have optimised that OS to within an inch of its life. It is incredibly slick and responsive, even on ancient hardware (I have it on a 9 year old Latitude E4300 and it runs incredibly well).

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

Not sure how that helps with the original question.
OP uses his PC primarily for web browsing. Macs start at £1,000, and it doesn’t sound like he really needs (or knows why he needs) one. ChromeOS is honestly stunning as a pure web browsing machine. Check it out before panning it. And I could be saving a stranger £1,500.

Associate
OP
Thanks everyone for the replies. Tbh, for what I mainly use my PC for, mostly web browsing and office type use, I couldn’t justify spending £800 on a base Mac mini. May have a look at Linux at some point but sticking with Windows for now.

Soldato
Thanks everyone for the replies. Tbh, for what I mainly use my PC for, mostly web browsing and office type use, I couldn’t justify spending £800 on a base Mac mini. May have a look at Linux at some point but sticking with Windows for now.

Don't forget you can always install VirtualBox and try out a distro of your choice at your leisure. I'd go for KDE Neon, you get Ubuntu LTS under the covers but you also get a UI that is actually nice.

Back
Top Bottom