Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Well, goodbye Virgin.
We've been with Virgin/NTL/Cabltel for 24 years and each year I've had to haggle over the contract. This year they've put it up from the £46 I was paying to £70 and the biggest discount they'd give me was £4 …

So Sky here we come...

Soldato
Black Friday deal

Full package sports movies phone and 350 meg bb for £75 a month, that'll do install date booked for this friday

whats the script with adding extra boxes? still £7.50 a month per extra box what about install costs?

Soldato
Frustrating there are no decent broadband providers around me except Virgin, would only get about 40mb on BT/Sky.

This is the problem I also face. Virgin BB has been terrible for me for the past few months but I can't switch as no one else offers speeds anywhere near what Virgin gives me even with the problems that I have been having speed wise.

Associate
I'm gonna be all over Vodafone's Gigafast once it becomes available. 900 down AND up for £42 a month is just exceptionally good.

I've seen the basic Network design for this through Entanet/CityFibre as an Entanet rep came in to show us this and how to support it from a white label perspective - the installation and support for faults looks exceptional. For once, something decent to say about Vodafone (mainly because of the carrier they will be using).

Shawrey

Soldato
I've seen the basic Network design for this through Entanet/CityFibre as an Entanet rep came in to show us this and how to support it from a white label perspective - the installation and support for faults looks exceptional. For once, something decent to say about Vodafone (mainly because of the carrier they will be using).

Shawrey
I've got a friend who works for Vodafone, and he's been telling me that they've been investing a lot into their networks.

Caporegime
Are they investing in their back end systems or are their portals still going to be unconnected to each other and drop orders out randomly :p

Associate
Are they investing in their back end systems or are their portals still going to be unconnected to each other and drop orders out randomly :p

In all fairness the support will be handled by EntaNet/CityFibre only the Router is handled by Vodafone. EntaNet wouldn't confirm how Vodafone would handle it but I can assume they would have some level of API support with EntaNet's diagnostic portal as we do currently.

CityFibre have GPS and coordinates marked layout of each fibre circuit they will be delivering meaning that if a fault is detected somewhere in the network they can specify exactly where in the Fibre Network the fault is to the CityFibre Engineer(s) and can send a truck roll out immediately. No faffing around with PTO's and light attenuator to find out roughly where the signal stops like on OR Fibre. I can safely say they have over engineered some aspects which is a refreshing thing to see - they really do seem to be taking GPON by the scruff of the neck and handling it robustly.

Shawrey

Soldato
Anyone use the SH3 in modem only mode? What benefits would it have? I'm wired but only get 90mb speed. (was getting full speed for the first few days so I know my equipment is capable)

Associate
I joined VM a few days before black friday for £27 VIVID 100 Broadband & Phone, 100MB Down and 6MB Up.

Black Friday deals came and its was a bit cheaper, I also needed the higher upload speed as the CAP of 6MB Up for 100MB down was not great for sending files / doing work bits.

VM Customer Service were poor, they are so restricted to what they can do from the systems they have. Even retentions (the ones who can make the REALLY good deals, not just the ones on the system) are not directly contactable and are only avalible from a call back after you've actually cancelled.

Long story short, I cancelled within my 14 days cooling off period, and went back to my origional suppliuer TalkTalk, who have given me 80MB Down and 20MB Up for 19.95 a month.

Yes it's TalkTalk (but they have improved lately, take this from a long standing customer) and I acutally spent 1/10th of the time on the phone getting this deal with TalkTalk than I did trying to get my questions / concerns answered with Virgin Media.

Adios.

Soldato
I wish I hadn't switches to VM to be fair.

Was with BT for 8+ years, they couldn't give me a good deal so finally switched to VM as they were doing a good deal. 350mb middle TV package and added kids channels for £50 a month.

In the 2 months I've had it my speeds have only been 90-100mb and my ping has been spiking like crazy. 10 months til I can switch back .

Soldato
I wish I hadn't switches to VM to be fair.

Was with BT for 8+ years, they couldn't give me a good deal so finally switched to VM as they were doing a good deal. 350mb middle TV package and added kids channels for £50 a month.

In the 2 months I've had it my speeds have only been 90-100mb and my ping has been spiking like crazy. 10 months til I can switch back .
What speeds was you getting on BT and how did they compare..

Associate
Had b/band 100, big tv 24/7 & phone 24/7 'free' 01, 02, 03 calls. Price increase up to £70ish.
Called to cancel tv part5. They called back & offered same service but £53 p/m.
Refused that.
They called again and offered everything including big tv for £52 p/m and up-speed to "Vivid 200" b/b.
Apart from cost increases with just more HD channels of existing channels and even more ruddy football, I have bee fairly satisfied with WM.
BUT...- I will be dropping the tv part at the end of contract, even though I'll miss BTSport Motop GP coverage!

Back
Top Bottom