GoPro Hero 7 Black

Soldato
I've been using the Hero 4 Silver a number of years now. And for the most part it's been pretty good. I'm now on the lookout for a new / additional cam. Because.... New technologies init!

Worth buying this new kit or pick up one of their old models (GoPro 6). Or consider a non-GoPro action cam?

Soldato
I have the 7 Black, and the video is stunning.

It has a few issues at the moment but they should be fixed in a new firmware due in December.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
New update for 7 Black

https://gopro.com/update/hero7-black

HERO7 Black update v1.61 | December 11, 2018

HERO7 Black v1.61

PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

• Dynamically adjusts HyperSmooth stabilization strength to reduce motion blur in low light videos.
  • Extends battery life when recording in high-frame rates including 2.7K120, 1080p120 and 1080p240 video.
  • Improves connectivity between your camera and the GoPro app.
  • Increases voice control accuracy.
  • Enhances live stream stability.
USABILITY IMPROVEMENTS

• Eliminates image stuttering in slow panning shots that use HyperSmooth stabilization.
  • Corrects stretching issue when playing back 4:3 aspect ratio videos on camera.
  • Improves portrait and landscape detection.
  • Removes red line artifacts that can appear in some videos.
  • General bug fixes and user interface improvements.

Associate
I own a Hero 4 Black and love it.
If was going to to upgrade then it would have to be Hero Black 7 as this is by far the best Hero to date, the colours, video, interface, screen etc. The Hero 5 & 6 from memory did not have great reviews especially the 6 !

Soldato
I’ve a few of the GoPro units - the 7 is by far the best, by some margin. Conversely, the 6 is probably the worst Ive ever owned. I’ve two of them, and they’ve both got problems. One randomly closes off, killing your recording, the other rarely gets more than 30 minutes battery etc. Gave up on those, they’re trash.

Permabanned
I have 2x 7 blacks & they're brilliant, massive step up from the previous ones & the image stabilisation is incredibly impressive.

Been using them for helmet cam and car exterior videos, where vibration and random movements can be quite significant... the video is still buttery smooth... almost unrealistically so.

Soldato
I've just ordered the Hero 7 Black. I'm looking forward to it coming. I also got the head strap and the external battery charger so I can use my power bank to charge up the batteries when I am out and about in the countryside. Hopefully, it works as well as people say it does :).

Soldato
Does anyone know how long I'll be able to record for in 4k 60fps using a 256GB microSD card? I'm trying to decide whether it is worthwhile doing 4k 60fps or whether I should stick to 4k 30fps.

Associate
Does anyone know how long I'll be able to record for in 4k 60fps using a 256GB microSD card? I'm trying to decide whether it is worthwhile doing 4k 60fps or whether I should stick to 4k 30fps.
At 4K 30 a 256GB card says it will record 7H 51M
At 4K 60 it says 6H 19M
The above is with Protune switched on, if that makes any difference.

Soldato
You could always connect the GoPro to a battery power bank, if it's convenient.

Yeah. I've got a 20,000mAh power bank and was planning on bringing the GoPro battery charger with me so I have one battery charging in my bag while I film with the other battery. The GoPro hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure how long my power bank will take to charge one battery though.

Back
Top Bottom