What book are you reading...

Associate
I am Pilgrim, just finished. Fantastic effort for a 1st book and looking forward to his next!

That is a really good book, I've read it 2 or 3 times now. Really good debut book. I thought his next book was supposed to come out end of this year but it seems to have been post-poned until October next year.

Soldato
"The Shadow of what was lost" by James Islington. Magic fantasy stuff, with hints of Tolkien, Sanderson and GRRM. It's excellent and the twists keep coming. It starts out like many of these types of novel but then the twists start and a wonderful sense of mystery and foreboding builds. I got the audiobook and although it's 25 hours long I'm torn between listening to it every minute I can spare and not wanting to because it'll finish that much sooner. :) The second book in the trilogy is out but the third is still in the works.

"The Forgotten" by M.R. Forbes on Prime Reading (i.e. free). An interesting idea in which a society is on board a generation ship where they've been holding on for nearly 400 years but things are falling apart slowly - then things really start to go wrong. No idea where it is going so far but it's very engaging and has hints of Pandorum (the film) in it.
[Update] So, I finished this last night and I'm really in two minds about it. In the end it became somewhere between a slasher movie, a cheap Alien knock off and an anime (Attack on Titan maybe?). I'll have to digest it a bit more before I decide whether I'll bother with the rest of the series.

Last edited:
Associate
I've only started reading it today :)
61Z8XnV-KxL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Associate
Well, after having watched NASA's Mission Insight and right after that, Capricorn One (1977 movie ), I thought of legitimately reading We never went to the moon:):):)
5674663125_6ed2bf4095_b.jpg

Associate
Currently ploughing through Angels in the Moonlight by Caimh McDonnell - book 3 of a 4 book trilogy :) - Irish crime fiction with a great deal of humour and my new favourite fictional character, Bunny McGarry.

Soldato
Just ordered the 4th book in The Expanse series after nearly coming to the end of the 3rd book, very eager to see where the story goes.

Also watched the second half of season 3 for the second time in tandem with reading the book and I can't really complain about the adaptation at all, especially considering the budget restraints of sci fi channel.

Associate
Just ordered the 4th book in The Expanse series after nearly coming to the end of the 3rd book, very eager to see where the story goes.

Also watched the second half of season 3 for the second time in tandem with reading the book and I can't really complain about the adaptation at all, especially considering the budget restraints of sci fi channel.
I've coming to the end of book 1 for the first time. My mates Dad has lent me the whole series to date. I should finish the first one today and I'm going to jump straight into number 2! Really enjoying it.

Soldato
Completely fresh. I'm not going to touch the TV series until I'm done with the books.

Ah ok, I kinda wish i'd done that to see how my mental image would have been if I hadn't seen the TV show first.

The books don't exactly match the the TV show either which threw me a bit.

Book 1 = Seasons 1 & 2
Books 2 & 3 = Season 3

My only wish is that they'd given a whole season to both books 2 & 3, it feels a litle rushed but not to the shows detriment.

Associate
Ah ok, I kinda wish i'd done that to see how my mental image would have been if I hadn't seen the TV show first.

The books don't exactly match the the TV show either which threw me a bit.

Book 1 = Seasons 1 & 2
Books 2 & 3 = Season 3

My only wish is that they'd given a whole season to both books 2 & 3, it feels a litle rushed but not to the shows detriment.
It's funny how characters in your mind can appear different to the ones in the TV shows and/or films or books. I've got Miller as a Blade Runner Harrison Ford haha!

Man of Honour
I just finished book 7 in the series. My views remain the same: if only the odd-numbered books had been published the series would be almost the same. The authors use the odd-numbered books to introduce new major ideas, and the even numbered-ones to flog that idea to death and pretend that the plot arc is more complex than it really is. That said, they are amongst the better space operas out there. The characterisation of the villains is much better than most people manage, but sadly is also way better than the characterisation of the two main goodies. I'll still read the last two though.

I'm currently on book 3 of the series by Cixin Lui, "Death's End". It keeps swerving between well-done character studies, and wide arena bits that remind me of Olaf Stapleton. Or Asimov, but not in a good way. This volume should also really have been two books.

Before that I read Dan Snow's book on the Templars. For those who want a non-fantasy version of their story, it's a good easy read.

Before that was 84k by Claire North, which was the best book I've read since "Station Eleven" a couple of years ago. It is set in a grim but realisitic Dystopia, where everything has a price - even life. So the rich can do pretty much what they want as long as they can pay the fine. There's no prison though, because they aren't economic. One warning though: this is well up the literate end of SF.

Soldato
It's been a while since I popped into this thread.

The Painted Man series is a fantastic fantasy series. I ended up reading it through each time he published a new book, it's complete now though so you can start it knowing you won't be hanging on for the next installment.

For a bit of light relief The Sid Tillsley Chronicles are laugh out loud if you like a bit of twisted humour. Sid is a homophobic, unemployed benefit cheat alcoholic who just happens to have super powers when it comes to killing vampires. He and his equally dodgy 'Boro mates have to save the world as the Coalition, a secret human / vampire council, falls apart and vampires begin to out themselves to the general population.

Permabanned
Well, after having watched NASA's Mission Insight and right after that, Capricorn One (1977 movie ), I thought of legitimately reading We never went to the moon:):):)
5674663125_6ed2bf4095_b.jpg

Also inspired such classics as The Earth Is Flat, The Queen Is A Lizard and many many more...

I'm having a laugh, obviously.
I am actually interested in your elaborations on this book to see what the overall feel of it is, crazy theorists' mana from Heaven, proves they're all nuts, holds credence?

Associate
Carrier Pilot: One of the greatest pilot's memoirs of WWII - Norman Hanson

It lives up to the title, simply one of the best WW2 books I have ever read. A brilliant read, the author mentions from the start - from the first page - it will grab you, it truly does.

In my top 10 war books, up there with Geoffrey Wellum First Light (which the author acknowledges as one of the great books of WWII).

Back
Top Bottom