Any Nissan Or Mitsubishi Pickup Owners On Here?

Associate
Had a Navara for 3 years on a lease deal and was glad to see the back of it.
Despite its size I found barely more practical than the Astra estate it replaced. You'll be surprised how annoying it is not being able to access the load bed from the front or sides as in an estate car. Your always reaching over the sides to fetch that last thing in the middle just of reach, and I'm 6'3.
Cabin was well specced with all the toys, nice and wide, but fronts seats I found to be uncomfortable after a few hours, and it's not the quietest place to be at 70mph. Steering wheel has no reach adjustment, only angle. Rear bench type seat is afwul for pax except short journeys. There is no footwell as such in the rear so passengers sit with their knees right up. Not nice after a few minutes.
Ride quality when empty....bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce.
On the plus side can be fun on a damp road with some low speed drifting. It was bullet proof and had no issues in 3 years.
Went back to estate cars when it went back. If I needed to tow or go off road would have a Disco or Shogun rather than a pickup.

Man of Honour
Before I pull the trigger on something - does anyone know of any model that has decent in cabin storage options? everything I've looked at (short of going to 3rd party solutions or a really expensive semi-official aftermarket package) seems pretty limited with under front seat trays at best - the under rear seat storage on the ones in the US was really useful.

Man of Honour
Whelp most of the insurance quotes are coming back at 25-30% what I was expecting to pay - hopefully that isn't incorrect.

Man of Honour
My friend has an Isuzu d max Blade pickup and it's been good. They seem to hold value quite well too. The arctic truck version is a beast.

Not looked much at the Isuzu but the interior puts me off though for my use ultimately wouldn't be a deal breaker. The pickups I've been looking at most depreciate like crazy though - if it was a car I kind of lusted after like say a GT-R it wouldn't be so bad but for something I'm not even sure I will use much I'm not sure I'm gonna get one new.

Insurance is a fortune. I'm paying 1200 for my ranger with 8 years ncb and a RH postcode.

I was expecting to be paying around that but getting a good number of quotes back around £350-380! was not expecting that though historically my insurance has always been quite low for some reason. One of the reasons I'm thinking of getting one is due to moving (and the location) so hoping with a change of postcode (haven't checked the new place yet) it doesn't suddenly go crazy.

Soldato
I had a 2014 Amarok 2.0 BMT 180 Highline (Manual) from new to carry the dogs. Lovely motor, very comfortable and refined (for what it is) and only just got rid of it (For an SUV)

£240 a year tax, and on careful driving, with a truckman top and 200KG of dogs in the back, would get about 550 miles to a 80L tank.
Great on tyres, never needed a set in 4 years and 40K (19” wheels) and serviced every 2 years which was a couple of hundred quid a go. Never broke down, never went wrong.

Was no slouch either, I might go test drive the new V6 one at some point.

Ours:

https://ibb.co/nmmCh0
https://ibb.co/iShk20
https://ibb.co/jyPXh0
https://ibb.co/kdXw9f

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£240 a year tax, and on careful driving, with a truckman top and 200KG of dogs in the back, would get about 550 miles to a 80L tank.

My dad is laughing at me with his £30/y tax and 60mpg with BlueMotion :s but I wouldn't be using it for commuting 5 days a week so.

Man of Honour
Jebus! You got a load of points?

I didn't even think in that direction as to why his was high - fortunately I've got no points on my license, etc.

EDIT: Looks like the Wildtrak has some kind of space under the rear seats on the driver side? is that usable for storage?

Last edited:
Associate
originally I looked at the warriors but I couldn't get a seating position that didn't have me looking through the tinted sun strip at the top of the windscreen.
Then the Nissan was out due to the raised floor in the rear passenger area making it uncomfortable for tall passengers.

In the end, I went with a ford ranger wildtrak, although i had hoped to hold out for the raptor next year. Although due to it only coming in auto, decided to pull the trigger on the 3.2D in the end for the large displacement smoothness feel of the engine & a manual box.

would love a proper pick up like that F150 or even a F250 maybe in a few years....

Soldato
Only driven the old l200 pre 2010, driven a 2015 hilux for the last 3 years and had a go in the ford ranger.

L200 had the best interior and seating position of the three but was pretty nah off road.

Hilux, is a van that is in pickup form, it's handling is vague even fully loaded, it's noisy and the seats leave a bit to be desired. Interior storage is limited due to the location of the breakdown kit. But haven't got stuck on any offloading, it's been reliable and hasn't struggled to tow anything if asked of it.

The ford ranger is the best handling pickup and is alright inside (but was a basic spec) only issue if heard is they like to eat their gearboxes at 60000, especially if using the low range gearbox.

Recommend the hilux if it's just for work and you have to use it on a mixture of surfaces

Man of Honour
would love a proper pick up like that F150 or even a F250 maybe in a few years....

Same - but I'm having enough trouble (other people aren't so happy to work around it) with the size of the UK ones :s moving has kind of stalled at the moment and the drive isn't really big enough to accommodate one with the current cars on it :(

L200 had the best interior and seating position of the three but was pretty nah off road.

Not intending to use one for any serious off road personally - I might end up just hiring something specific on a case by case basis - was trying to cover several different uses at one go but struggling with compromises in terms of parking and interior storage :(

Man of Honour
Put down a deposit on a used Navara - wasn't my first choice but was available locally at a reasonable price with a spec that suits my short term requirements :s think I'll still be angling towards the Amarok if I decide to keep something like this long term.

Man of Honour
If anyone cares got the vehicle.

Was running ok (still is) but after the -5C temps last night engine management light has come on while running it today :s unfortunately don't have an OBD2 reader to hand so trip back to the dealer I guess - I'm thinking moisture has got in somewhere once it warmed up from being all frosty probably.

Back
Top Bottom