• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 56 Owners Thread

Soldato
Sorry I haven't even installed mine but is that undervolted? How hot/what's the power draw like? Fingers crossed I will get a similar result as our specs are similar.

I'll give it a test and find out power draw, it is undervolted.

That's a great result. Does it actually stay around 1667 MHz or does it drop below this?

I might try pushing mine just to see how much extra performance I can squeeze out of it in the future if it ever starts struggling with newer games.

It normally hovers in the 1630MHz - 1640MHz region.

Just a small note, the latest drivers 18.11.2 seem to lower 3DMark GPU score a bit. Got the highest score on 18.11.1.

Soldato
Dropped my P7 to 1050mv and MHz stayed at 1650.

I dropped 100 points in time spy. GFX score now 7200 but temps topped out at 66c so probably worth it!

My Hynix ram won’t go over 940 though:( And the HBM seems to make a big difference

Soldato
Dropped my P7 to 1050mv and MHz stayed at 1650.

I dropped 100 points in time spy. GFX score now 7200 but temps topped out at 66c so probably worth it!

My Hynix ram won’t go over 940 though:( And the HBM seems to make a big difference
Run some monitoring software while you're running the benchmark. You'll probably find that simply reducing the voltage has lowered the actual clock speed it runs at (which is always below whatever you set it to). I have seen this myself.

Soldato
Run some monitoring software while you're running the benchmark. You'll probably find that simply reducing the voltage has lowered the actual clock speed it runs at (which is always below whatever you set it to). I have seen this myself.
You’ll be right I’m sure. Sorry I meant I left it at 1650 in the settings on Wattman. It’s now at 1075mv!

Soldato
In case your 56 is acting up and you have one of these PSU's.

Seasonic Issues Warning: FOCUS PLUS PSU has GPU Compatibility Issues-

Here's something you do not see that often, Seasonic confirmed that their FOCUS PLUS power supplies can have issues with certain graphics cards resulting in black screens under GPU stress, the issue seems related to high ripple under GPU load.

The solution is quite simple though, some modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding make the problem go away":

FOCUS PLUS and GPU potential compatibility issues-
We have been notified, in limited instances, where some issues may occur when a FOCUS power supply is used in conjunction with certain high power consumption GPU or brand of VGA cards. If you experience possible compatibility issues, please check the below information and contact us for further assistance:

FOCUS PLUS & ASUS GTX970 STRIX: In very limited instances black screen may occur under heavy VGA usage. Current testing showed that certain VGA cards may emit higher than normal ripple when under heavy load and using a modified PCIe cables with enhanced shielding resolved the issue.

FOCUS PLUS & Vega 56/64: For units with serial numbers before January 2018, in rare instances, possible system shutdown may occur when GPU is under heavy load. This is possibly caused by higher than normal peak current emitted by this particular range of GPU's when under heavy load triggering the PSU’s internal protection safety.

Link- https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/s...us-plus-psu-has-gpu-compatibility-issues.html

Caporegime
Thanks. I should add that I doubt very much I'll be upgrading to a Vega card (at least yet anyway), but I'm still keen to hear user feedback. If things go according to plan, then most likely next year sometime I will be trying out Freesync + a Radeon GPU (completely new PC - AMD build), so switching to something like the 56 or 64 is a possibility - mainly for the monitor sync technology. I'm not one for jumping on the newest tech but having used Gsync, I don't think I could go back to a setup without some kind of anti-tearing measure in place.

Soldato
What stock temps are you all getting? I have the Sapphire Pulse (awesome btw!) and in game it averages about 55 degrees. Surely not?

My case isnt special - its an Antec 300 bought 10 years ago! :D

Soldato
What stock temps are you all getting? I have the Sapphire Pulse (awesome btw!) and in game it averages about 55 degrees. Surely not?

My case isnt special - its an Antec 300 bought 10 years ago! :D
I can't remember what the default fan speed is, maybe it's quite high hence the temperatures? Also have you left it running for 30 minutes so it warms up? Otherwise maybe the paste application on yours is just top notch. :D

Soldato
I can't remember what the default fan speed is, maybe it's quite high hence the temperatures? Also have you left it running for 30 minutes so it warms up? Otherwise maybe the paste application on yours is just top notch. :D

I could have the unicorn pulse, but I don't think so :D

Yea, this is mid way through a game, 140 ish frames on black ops. If I run furmark or something it goes up to 60 degrees... This is monitoring it on MSI Afterburner and the ingame temp controls.

Idle temps are like 30 degrees also... Cant really hear the fan - how do you see what rpm it is going at?

Soldato
I could have the unicorn pulse, but I don't think so :D

Yea, this is mid way through a game, 140 ish frames on black ops. If I run furmark or something it goes up to 60 degrees... This is monitoring it on MSI Afterburner and the ingame temp controls.

Idle temps are like 30 degrees also... Cant really hear the fan - how do you see what rpm it is going at?
I think WattMan shows fan RPM. Afterburner just shows it as a percentage. My Vega 56 card isn't a unicorn but it's the first time I've "won" the silicon lottery. Every CPU or GPU I've had in the past has been a below average overclocker but this one is a beast in comparison. It can hit 1700 MHz whilst undervolted, it can run at 1590 MHz whilst using ~170 W, and the HBM can hit 960 MHz unmodded. Very pleased. :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom