Golf Thread

Soldato
Really finding golf a Royal pain in the arse at the moment. I've been playing since August, my putting has improved drastically and the time on the putting practice seems to help. I used to be able to drive ok albeit not far and struggled with my irons. Now it seems I can put and get out of bunkers ok and that's it. Swing just feels awkward for some reason. Doesn't seem to matter how long I spend at the range.
I got my best score today around the course but it would be loads less if I didn't toppong the bloody thing and my drives are getting about 4 foot in the air which is a problem on one whole that has a bit of a cliff face to get over.
Scored 120 on a par 71 usually around 130. Nothing more annoying than topping it
My practise swing seems OK leaving a divot after the ball and I move forward little step strike and top.

I think if I didn't have lessons booked in then I'd be quite demoralised.
Even If learn how to hit a 6 iron right 90% if the time I'd get around with that a wedge and putter in less score than what I am doing.
Got a set of 8 lessons to sort it out.

Commissario
Lessons will definitely help, I need to go back and have some more tuition as I feel like some bad habits have crept back in.

Strangely on the weekend at the range I started to get a blister on the knuckle of my left index finger, no idea how as my grip hasn't changed - I've always used the locking grip with left index finger and right pinky.

Went to the range again yesterday and after 3 shots the blister had rubbed off and the pain was too much to continue. So I thought on the off-change I'd try changing my grip to just a neutral one without the locking fingers, thankfully no pain from the blister but also my shots were much straighter and more consistent! Perhaps a blessing in disguise?!

Soldato
Morning all,

Now that the weather has turned properly cold, I imagine that I won't be getting out on the golf course until the early spring now. My golf clubs are currently stored in my living room :)p), however I do have some space in the shed. Am I risking any damage to the clubs if they're stored in a shed, with regards to temperature?

TIA

Commissario
Morning all,

Now that the weather has turned properly cold, I imagine that I won't be getting out on the golf course until the early spring now. My golf clubs are currently stored in my living room :)p), however I do have some space in the shed. Am I risking any damage to the clubs if they're stored in a shed, with regards to temperature?

TIA
I've kept mine in the shed/garage for years with no issue, I usually keep the top cover on though to reduce moisture getting in.

Soldato
I've kept mine in the shed/garage for years with no issue, I usually keep the top cover on though to reduce moisture getting in.

Same.

I managed a round at the weekend thanks to a burst of good weather. Been shortening my bavkswing to help with my accuracy and fingers crossed it's starting to pay some dividends.

Highlight was a 20 foot putt for a par in an otherwise average round.

Soldato
I got my best score rhe other week, 110 on a par 71 course. Still miles over but it was coming down until I played last and just couldn't get the swing right and I ended up miles higher

Soldato
What do people usually have in their bag club wise? I've got some cobra irons from around 2000 4-pw
Cobra baffler xl driver and hybrid from 2012
A Nike method putter which I think is from 2010ish
A 56 Ben Ross wedge
A kids 3 wood which I'm guessing is for a teenager, I struggle to hit it as I'm stooped over a bit.
I'm still learning so grabbing bits as I go along

I'm after a 3 wood so currently looking at the callaway xr speed which seems alright priced.
I could do with more of a lob wedge for nearer the green.
I need a cheapo trolley as I'm reliant on the shop being open to hire one.
Also fancy a new bag as mines falling to bits in some areas.

Do people tend to stick with one brand? Callaway Woods and drivers seem to get good reviews but not seen much on their irons wedges and putters.

Lastly I went on the simulator thing the other day and managed to get my driver to just over 200 yards which I was happy about as I used to only get to around 150 yards.

Soldato
Is that down to just hitting them and picking one or down to looks?
Prices are all over the place so the new callaway driver is 400ish yet the ping driver seems to be a lot cheaper. Or the Ben Ross ones are around 150-200.

Soldato
I don't think there's a great deal of difference between the major brands in terms of performance, particularly when it comes to irons. You'll only see certain irons going further because they are lower lofted, don't be fooled by the marketing departments of golf brands. I follow a couple of the Youtube golf guys and their reviews over the years have shown that as long as the clubs are fitted properly the only major difference between any club is generally how it looks and feels to the individual player.

Having said that, traditionally Mizuno, Ping and Titleist are probably considered the go-to brands for irons, while Callaway are known for drivers and wedges and Taylormade for their drivers, fairway woods and rescue clubs. If I was told to buy all my equipment from one brand and had no budget then I'd probably go Titleist, their AP irons are very well thought of, their SM wedges are excellent, they make probably the most recognisable golf ball in the Pro V1, they have some of the most iconic putters thanks to Scotty Cameron and their drivers aren't half bad too.

Soldato
Is that down to just hitting them and picking one or down to looks?
Prices are all over the place so the new callaway driver is 400ish yet the ping driver seems to be a lot cheaper. Or the Ben Ross ones are around 150-200.
Honestly? Marketing is a large part of it probably. I've had Callaway irons, Callaway driver, I've tried Callaway Chromesoft balls, Mizuno wedges. I switched to Titleist irons when I started to get serious. Then to Mizunos when I got seriouser.

Most of my clubs have been bought used from eBay - you can get last year's models for big savings if you're not after weird lengths or shafts. But I've tested new Titleist irons against my Mizunos and didn't like them.

Soldato
Yeh I was looking at a ping g30 3 wood used for 100 In the club shop today , it's a few years old but for someone like me who isn't pushing any boundaries I don't think there will be much in it. I watched a few Rick sheils videos on YouTube and some of the comparisons they're gaining like 5 yards on some of the new models, I can't see that bothering me as my shots are not consistsnt anyways.

Supposed to have another lesson today but it got cancelled as his shot monitor broke so he's ordered a new one and decided to renovate the room whilst he's at it.

Something like this will do me for a 3 wood
https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/product/884854/Titleist_917_F2.html
Doesn't need to be new as I'll only mark it anyways

Last edited:
Soldato
I've spoken to the local shop lately and we're going to hit a handful of the woods on the monitor after xmas and see what i prefer. They price match with online sites so will just need to check prices before i buy one.

See Taylormade are releasing the m5/6, very frequent release cycle.

Soldato
2nd birdie today mixed bag with some good golf and some bad.
Managed to get out of the rough beautifully today however when I started walking back to my bag the pw fell in two =(

Most of the ones in th shop are around 100 but they are selling the titleist 718 ap1 demo set for 370 which is 5-gw
Tempting

Back
Top Bottom