**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Dunlop SportMaxx RT - 245/45/18 - Current tyres fitted to the STi - from the moment I pushed the car on them the first time in the wet I thought they were bad..

When I first went around Curborough in the wet with this car, I really thought I had forgotten how to drive because the car was constantly fighting me, the torque vectoring aggressively grabbing the front brakes regularly and making it feel quite unnerving. However, on the road they seemed ok, so I've lived with them for this long.

Well Saturday really proved to me that I need to get them off the car. Driving with a group of cars, we turned off a roundabout in the damp, they all turned and I didn't ! I turned in, the front slid, the TV grabbed the front inside brake, turned the car in and the back stepped out :o all in what was quite a slow turn with the dash lights flashing like crazy! After that the whole time the car was fighting me in 2nd and 3rd gear, not what you expect from AWD!

Now I concede, these tyres are nearly 3 years old, and I have probably ruined them with the donuting and the like :D But it was interesting that someone came and checked my tyres when we got to Caffeine and Machine (great place btw) and laughed, stating he knows why my car looked twitchy, he has had them fitted to cars in the past and hated them in the wet. So glad I'm not alone in my feelings.

So looks like I'll be finding some nice lightweight wheels for my car and getting them fitted with PS4S!

TLDR - I need new tyres :D

Soldato
Dunlop SportMaxx RT - 245/45/18 - Current tyres fitted to the STi - from the moment I pushed the car on them the first time in the wet I thought they were bad..

I never quite got the level of confidence I expected from my dunlops either in the wet - vaguley similar sizes (235 40 18). Never thought they were ultimately bad but not quite up to what I expect from one of the top tyres. Replaced with PS4's last week and the car already feels much better.

I don't even think there is a significant increase in measurable grip in the wet, but the way the PS4's break traction is much better, when the Dunlops let go it never seemed to be in a consistent manner, with one tyre grabbing / pulling etc

What you guys reckon new tyre or fixable

You'll struggle to find somewhere to plug that - though if they can get it to actually stick properly to the sidewall it would possibly be ok. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is whether you'd rather pay for a new tyre or have it fail at high speed

Associate
Yeah I thought so well let's see what the local fitter says ideally wanna change all to all season but it feels such a waste to replace all corners when they are all 5mm+.
Does anyone know if all Michellin CrossClimate+ comes with rim protection? FSL
So confusing these websites.

Soldato
And talking of Michelin Crossclimate+.

I need at least two tyres. I was sloppy changing front to rear so the fronts have maybe 4mm left on them.

So do I get all seasons fitted all round (I guess two on the back (FWD)for a couple of months is a bit silly) commute is 13 miles mix of 30mph steady and a little bit of NSL that may or may not be gritted come winter. Also quite a steep hill up/down so a decent mix.

This year the hill caused real issues, not so much our car but other people.

A little more traction wouldn’t hurt, rather than driving in the icey ruts (which no tyre will help with I can’t imagine), could just go round cars and press the snow down....?

Or do I just bang two decent summer tyres on. Cost wise, £75 ish for summers and £85 for all seasons 185/55/15.

Associate
Hi all, would welcome some advice.

Need 2 new back tyres for my dads S Class Mercades. The best value for money tyres I have found are the following:

275/35/20
Falken FK510 SUV

Only £134 each
Weather: A Fuel: C Noise: 70DB

And they have excellent reviews on Tyre Reviews (not sure if reputable website?!)
But Tyre reviews say that they are designed to be fitted to SUV's. And they do have SUV in their name. But they come up as an option for the S class when I search for 275/35/20.

So are they ok to fit to an S Class Merc or no?! Confused!!

Man of Honour
Hi all, would welcome some advice.

Need 2 new back tyres for my dads S Class Mercades. The best value for money tyres I have found are the following:

275/35/20
Falken FK510 SUV

Only £134 each
Weather: A Fuel: C Noise: 70DB

And they have excellent reviews on Tyre Reviews (not sure if reputable website?!)
But Tyre reviews say that they are designed to be fitted to SUV's. And they do have SUV in their name. But they come up as an option for the S class when I search for 275/35/20.

So are they ok to fit to an S Class Merc or no?! Confused!!

Why would you fit those to an S Class?

Associate
Has anyone switched to winter tyres now that temps are in single digits? Whats OcUK's recommendation?

Im thinking of trying out winter tyres after struggling on a slight incline last year.

225/45/r17 profile

Man of Honour
The car is a tool to get to work, use over the winter and go to the shops. I barely throw it around and anything must be better than the current budgets that are on them. All the 'interesting' driving is done in the Civic FD2.

F1A3 are £133.96 each on Asda tyres.
Gone with F1A3's in the end, being fitted on Saturday.

Man of Honour
Wife has decided, this year it's winter tyres (and wheels).

Welcome advice on what good winters are on 225/45/17 (I think) and if anyone can recommend a good place for cheap MX5 wheels even better

Man of Honour
Good God if a Polo had them and they survived they must be something quite special. Happy to chat about wheels yes. Looking for ones that match ideally, so will dig out a pic.

29354288496_8792846612_o.jpg

Permabanned
Michelin CrossClimates..
Had them on the almighty Polo and was able to drive up the M1 on the third lane covered in snow at a comfortable speed past all the slow crawlers in lane 1 so based on that experience alone I would thoroughly recommend.

If you don't mind the wheels having slight kerbing, or in other words; not suitable to go on a car at point of sale from a dealer - then I can probably find you a set at a very good price from an Mazda dealer in Wolves?
Will likely be OEM.

The Michelin Crossclimate is a very decent tyre and great choice.

Back
Top Bottom