Could/would you drive your car without driver aids

Soldato
My ABS/TC is off as the wire from a wheel speed sensor needs repaired and I manage fine.

There's one or two steep hills that starting on can cause wheel slip as the torque comes in early, that and 225 tyres make it terrible in the snow too.

I've only had the car oversteer once and it was on some sort of Kumho tyres on the back when I first got it. Never again on F1AS3 it just becomes a big understeery mess.

My old Almera with no TC or stability control was more deadly though with understeer snapping to oversteer with a lift of the throttle. Spun that 360 once, put it into a roundabout too as I got it sliding far too much on an evening.

I used to go to industrial estates in the snow to practice how it felt going sideways and got quite good at it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Probably not in the first year of owning the M3, what with it being my first car with decent power and engine response...

Turned DSC off a number of times when I've wanted to do a launch or exit onto an open piece of tarmac. Depends on the tyres though. With the mpss I wasn't very confident as they are only really good when heated up, but also poor in the cold weather or damp weather. The CSC6 were good but again in the wet or cold they weren't too confident inspiring. The PS4 S however just grip and grip no matter what and you feel much more in control.

Cannot turn ABS off any more due to M-track mode, not sure why you'd want to turn ABS off though.

Caporegime
Absolutely - I’ve seen a few cars come to grief this way, especially on hills!

Having no ABS will actually help you stop on relatively deep fresh snow (not that the U.K. gets much nor would anyone be moving anyway we’re we to get some!) but only in a straight line and that’s pretty much the only scenario where for an average driver you’d be better without it, they don’t fit disable buttons for ABS for a reason.

Best policy is to find a deserted car park when there’s been a reasonable fall and find the ABS systems cut in points and then remember to drive within those parameters, most people simple don’t drive to the conditions and get in trouble no matter what the driver aids fitted...

Never had an issue in deep snow. I've only had the ABS come on a few times, mostly when testing on ice to see how slippy the conditions are.

Back
Top Bottom