Anyone water cooling an AMD Threadripper CPU?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Original ek block on my 1920x. It’s ok but could be quite a lot better. Would have gone with a heat killer all copper block if they’d been available at the time I built my system. I think ek have since refreshed the design so it should perform on par with the xspc raystorm neo now.

Man of Honour
OP
Original ek block on my 1920x. It’s ok but could be quite a lot better. Would have gone with a heat killer all copper block if they’d been available at the time I built my system. I think ek have since refreshed the design so it should perform on par with the xspc raystorm neo now.

Thanks, I've seen the reports of the original EK block & the fall out that ensued after :eek: what sort of temps are you seeing with it?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Absolute maximum I’ve seen when hammering it with prime 95 is 79 degrees. Day to day usage barely sees it exceeding 60 in the more demanding longer duration tasks. It idles around 30. This is with it running at 3.975GHz using 1.325V.

Associate
They offered replacements for mono blocks and a discount on the new block to owners of the original ek block iirc.

Not sure how the new one performs. Replacements for all would have been better, but i can see why they didn't.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
They offered replacements for mono blocks and a discount on the new block to owners of the original ek block iirc.

Not sure how the new one performs. Replacements for all would have been better, but i can see why they didn't.
I considered it, but decided that it simply wasn’t worth the time & effort required to drain the loop, swap out the block, refill and then bleed. I might look at doing it when I eventually upgrade to a 16 core 3rd gen Ryzen in a few years time. For now at least, the old crap ek block does a good enough job that my system remains both quiet & stable.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks all, I'm torn between getting the new EK Supremacy Full Nickel block on offer at OCUK or waiting a few weeks for the new Watercool Heatkiller IV to land at OCUK (which will also cost an additional £6)??

Back
Top Bottom