Q Acoustic 3010 for PC Speakers?

DHR

DHR

Soldato
Contemplating buying some 3010s for my desk?

Has anyone done this? Wondering if they'll be too big?

Soldato
Only too big if you don't have enough space. ;)

Quite a few people have bookshelf speakers on their desk, including myself. The 3010's are similar size to the Roth speakers I have, except that the QA's are deeper.

You may be aware of this, but I'll mention it just in case; you'll need an amplifier to power them. They are passive speakers, so don't have a built in amplifier. Powered speakers do have a built in amplifier.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been using my 3010s for PC audio for a few years, I've been really happy with them. They're perhaps not the absolute perfect bookshelf speaker to use on a desk because they do tend to sound slightly better when you sit back from them, but it's not something that I've found to be an issue. Bass can be a bit lacking for some, personally I don't mind that too much especially as I live in a flat.

As Marsman says, you'll need an amp of some kind. I used a Topping VX1 which was a great little USB amp/DAC, the bonus being it has a headphone jack on the front that can be switched to using a button so you can leave the headphones plugged in all the time. Unfortunately it died in April and sourcing another one was proving tricky, so I went with the SMSL AD18 instead. Without being able to compare the two it's hard to say if one is better than the other, the AD18 has added functionality, connectivity and an LCD screen but ultimately it does the same thing.

Associate
I have a set that i have used for just over a year with a Topping d30 Dac and Cyrus 3 amp, have been very happy with them, not to big for a desk and there were on a smaller desk than the one in the pic.
ai8t6Kp.jpg

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Those Q acoustics speakers are similar in size to my JBL control 1 pro's albeit a fair bit deeper like marsman said compared to his Roth's. Compared with the audio engine speakers you're also considering, I'd go with the Q acoustics as, IMO, for the money they outclass the audio engine a2's. I wouldn't suggest control 1's as they are designed to be accurate studio monitors for nearfield use and really lack deep bass. I have a sub that I use with them or I use the bigger speakers.

The control 1 is the dinky little speaker, the 3010's are 7mm wider and 41mm deeper. I use them with a 1U rack mount power amp, which is somewhat overkill, given the 80W per channel output.

Man of Honour
Used to run mine of my old X-A1 Amp, now running them off a Denon Mini.
39386391075_a6832fc3f7_h.jpg

Q-3010's are used for some of my retro stuff
40555261212_6d81b4c417_h.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Just note that if you want to angle the 3010's towards where you are sitting, they will use up quite a bit of desk space as they are quite deep.

I currently have a pair or 3020's and ended up picking up a pair of speaker stands so I could recover desk space. Not sure if this is a possibility from an extra expense/space perspective, but might be a consideration.

It's worth it though! :)

Associate
Had 3020 concept myself. Used isoacoustic stands to lift them up. Take up a reasonable amount of space and really need a sub paired with them which I did. Azure 851a driving them with ibasso dx200 for source, balanced / bi-wired.

They do near field alright but ideally you need to be sat back a little and not at the keyboard. They also benefit from having decent space around them.

For all the hassle of speakers/amp/sub I wish I'd kept my paradigm milleniaOne. Keeping my eyes peeled to see if one comes up s/h or try and source a Sony cas-1...

Last edited:

DHR

DHR

Soldato
OP
Prefer the look of the 3010s but I'm liking the size profile of the Dali's, think I may have to go and look at some

Soldato
Yeah, the Dali don't look super great. The silver plastic needs to be shiny or something, then they'd looked great.
Sound awesome, good profile, so they make up for that.

Soldato
Is anyone using these for desktop use? Looking at a speaker/amp combo for desktop and don't generally want to start another spec me thread.

Soldato
Wharfdale 9.0 are a very good option as well. Absolute bargain for £39 from Richer Sounds. In store purchase only though.

I went for DALI zensor 1s after much deliberation. Good size, great sound.
Not as deep size wise as 3010s

Zensor 1's are deeper according to the specs; unless you were thinking of the 3020's, which are all round larger speakers.

I wasn’t sure so bought both :D

Dali’s best to my ears.

Could be why the 3010 have dropped a fair bit in price to around £80-£90, whereas the DALI's still sell for £150. QA are still selling the 3010 on their site for £160. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom