LG 34GK950G, 3440x1440, G-Sync, 120Hz

Soldato
AW3418DW on GREAT sale just in USA. In UK everywhere it cost <1000£. 100£ less than 34gk950g. Im still waiting for LG, but in the mean time thinking to order acer x34p and then compare with LG. acer x34p cost just 650£ at the moment. Is acer x34p & AW3418DW have same panels?

I think they do from what I've read, but worth double-checking it this is something you want a reliable source on.

The AW is horribly expensive here in the UK and I didn't see any movement on it over Black Friday, whilst the X34P dipped to well below £700 in several places.

From what I've read, the build quality, quality control and warranty are better with the AW, but the X34P benefits from having OSD-adjustable gamma and I think it also supports 10-bit colour (8bit+FRC) whereas the Dell doesn't (I'm not 100% on this, but it is something I've seen stated in a few places).

Personally, I like having as much flexibility in the OSD as possible since you never know if you'll get a monitor with poorly calibrated gamma and colours from the factory. Not being able to adjust gamma in the OSD seems a bit of a negative to me (though I am very far from being an expert on monitor calibration!).

Associate
In Spain X34P is 1000€, AW is 1100€, and 950G is 1200€, so no doubt. LG for me. Also in Spain is 2years warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
I ordered the AW3419DW.

The $500 premium is not worth it in my opinion.

When you get an AW that works correctly, minimal BLB and no flickering @ 120hz. What is the most noticed benefits of the LG? Nano IPS (Which is kind of useless in most content...) and a RGB ring on the back?... 1 year warranty vs 3 years on the AW.

Honestly it's not that had to get an AW that works the way we expect, BLB is pure lottery. And I had 2 friends receive LG's with bad enough BLB they returned them. (one had shipping damage as well but that's not LG's fault) Yes it is probably easier to get less BLB on the LG's due to the new panel, BUT the later revisions of the AW aren't to bad. The difference here is that in my experience it's far easier to return AW's than LG's. Based off customer support, etc. But that's only my experience. I could return the AW for a different one 3 times until i get one I like, without hassle.

you are paying a premium for simply a BETTER chance at having minimal BLB and obviously you shouldn't flicker on the LG. I feel like the $500 premium is more like a "Here's $500, give me a binned monitor" as an example. I know the LG's should have less BLB on average, and definitely not flicker. But again, if your AW does, just return it until you get one that doesn't.

LG came into this late as hell and basically says "Here is a monitor that SHOULD be better on your first unit" I understand they priced it accordingly and competitive with AW's MSRP, But they know as well as we do, the AW is rarely 1,400/1,500 these days. They should have just lowered the price, rather than playing the MSRP game and they would have got more sales. I guarantee the AW and even Acer are selling more units than the LG. simply based off price alone.

I almost bought the LG for 1,100 (G-sync one when it was on sale) But the warranty killed it for me. So even at a $300 premium I wasn't interested enough...

If you get a decent AW3418DW there is virtually NO difference besides a RGB ring on the back...

i mean i agree with your reasoning, but the lg 950g is literally better in every single aspect. panel is just simply 1 step above.

Associate
Does anybody that has one of these have any tips on the overclocking? Or maybe some tips in general?

I'm a bit new to the high-end monitor scene, but I know that generally overclocking happens by creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. This monitor is a little different: you're supposed to be able to enable it in the settings in the monitor, and then just select 120hz as your refresh rate.

When I first got the monitor, I could turn the overclocking on, and 120hz would automatically be selected in Windows. Then after about 30 seconds, the display would be blank, and I'd have to turn off the overclocking in the monitor settings to get it back.

Currently, the situation is a bit different: turning on the overclocking in the monitor does nothing except reboot the monitor. No 120hz available in Windows.

The monitor is connected with a DisplayPort cable.

Associate
So this monitor is a 144Hz panel that is downclocked to 120Hz due to GSync.
Nothing to overclock.

How are you connecting though? If HDMI you'll be limited to 100Hz regardless.

Associate
So this monitor is a 144Hz panel that is downclocked to 120Hz due to GSync.
Nothing to overclock.

Not quite. The panel is indeed "downclocked", but the monitor itself defaults to 100hz, and "overclocks" (the G-sync module, as I understand it) to 120hz. But as I said, not in the traditional way - the monitor configures itself. Or at least, it's supposed to.

How are you connecting though? If HDMI you'll be limited to 100Hz regardless.

As I said, DisplayPort.

Associate
Does anybody that has one of these have any tips on the overclocking? Or maybe some tips in general?

I'm a bit new to the high-end monitor scene, but I know that generally overclocking happens by creating a custom resolution in the Nvidia Control Panel. This monitor is a little different: you're supposed to be able to enable it in the settings in the monitor, and then just select 120hz as your refresh rate.

When I first got the monitor, I could turn the overclocking on, and 120hz would automatically be selected in Windows. Then after about 30 seconds, the display would be blank, and I'd have to turn off the overclocking in the monitor settings to get it back.

Currently, the situation is a bit different: turning on the overclocking in the monitor does nothing except reboot the monitor. No 120hz available in Windows.

God I mean if this monitor doesn't overclock properly I mean that's it. We're paying a high premium for this stuff, they better get this right.

Associate
I ordered a 34GK950G and it should arrive in 2 or 3 days
any other people having problems with 120hz with their 950g ?
You are not going to have problems setting this monitor to 120hz. You literally go to the screen settings and turn it on. It takes 10 seconds. No one is going to have an issue setting a 144hz panel to 120hz.

Associate
You are not going to have problems setting this monitor to 120hz. You literally go to the screen settings and turn it on. It takes 10 seconds. No one is going to have an issue setting a 144hz panel to 120hz.

At least one person is having problems, but I don't know what is the exact reason.

Could it be some driver issue or something in the GPU?

Associate

Some literally just posted in this forum about overclocking problems. Tbh it's way to early to declare if there are a lot of issues with this monitor as there are so few units in circulation. It's not really about the panel but about the gsync module running at 100Hz, overclocking to 120Hz and the panel that has to vary its downclocking from 144Hz to both 100Hz and 120Hz. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

Associate
I read that this monitor can't properly display sRGB calibrated content and causes a lot of over saturation in e.g. gaming. Anyone with monitor can comment on this, how accurate are colors when e.g. gaming?

Associate

Yet here I am. It seems it's up to the monitor to report the 120hz availability to Windows, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. When I first got it, it was reporting the 120hz refresh rate to Windows, but the monitor would just go blank when it was selected. Now, it's not even showing as an option in either Nvidia control panel or Windows settings.

The issue that person is having does not sound like the monitor to me. Sounds like the issue is somewhere else.

I don't know why you're so quick to assume that.

Could it be some driver issue or something in the GPU?

I've tried 416.94, 416.16, and now currently on 411.70. All clean installs wiped before installing with DDU. Reset all settings in the monitor multiple times.

Don't have the planned 2080Ti in hand yet - so this is a 780Ti if that means anything.

Associate
Yet here I am. It seems it's up to the monitor to report the 120hz availability to Windows, but it doesn't seem to be doing that. When I first got it, it was reporting the 120hz refresh rate to Windows, but the monitor would just go blank when it was selected. Now, it's not even showing as an option in either Nvidia control panel or Windows settings.

I don't know why you're so quick to assume that.

I've tried 416.94, 416.16, and now currently on 411.70. All clean installs wiped before installing with DDU. Reset all settings in the monitor multiple times.

Don't have the planned 2080Ti in hand yet - so this is a 780Ti if that means anything.

It's most likely your 780ti
I also just got this screen and have similar problem.
I have a gtx 770 and can't use 120hz only get 100hz option.
but as soon as i connect second 1080p screen i can only select 85hz.
also get 100hz option back when i disconnect 1080p screen.
most likely GPU resolution+hz limitation of kepler cards.

Also waiting on my ordered RTX 2080 ti.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom